PDA

View Full Version : Another mower problem.

44man
08-05-2012, 08:31 AM
I was cutting grass and the engine quit. Big Briggs. Started it and it quit again. I got off and it was spraying oil from the side. I added oil and got it in the barn.
I found a hole in the block, looked like a bullet was shot from inside. I think it was a piece of the governor because it runs faster now.
Checked Jack's Small engines and the case is $164 plus a governor and gaskets.
No way, I can't afford it now.
I took it apart far enough to solder the hole shut with aluminum solder and I coated it with aluminum epoxy I had from the airline.
It starts and runs fine, just need to throttle back some.
I was not pulling down the engine, no new gaskets. I just hope the piece exited the hole.
Maybe I can drive it next to deer and shoot them! :veryconfu

Jim
08-05-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm not a mechanic, so I have no clue what made the hole. As best I understand the construction of small engines, though, the governor apparatus is not inside the block, it's on the outside. Something had to turn loose to come through the block from inside.

What puzzles me is, if something actually turned loose and came out, what was it and how is the engine still running?

There's quite a few topshelf mechanics here, somebody will come along directly and provide a lot more insight to this problem.

Be careful, bud, we don't want anybody getting injured, OK?

44man
08-05-2012, 09:58 AM
There are governor parts inside this engine. Vanes that expand to control a rod to the throttle. I think a vane cracked off.
Other engines have air flow over a flap.
If I remember, the centrifugal vanes are on top of the oil pump.

Bill*
08-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I think you're on the right track, If it was a piece of piston,crank,or connecting rod(the other moving parts) it would have a tendency to run a little "never again" :mrgreen:

shotman
08-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Well it could be part of the oil pump too. If so you will know soon . Next time it quits will be the end of the motor
What motor??

Bill*
08-05-2012, 10:44 AM
In all seriousness, the fact he has to "throttle back" in his words, suggests it was one of the governor counter weights. Might be running a bit unbalanced but could last quite a while.

44man
08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Well it could be part of the oil pump too. If so you will know soon . Next time it quits will be the end of the motor
What motor??
I don't think it was a pump part, it is a gear. I need to pull up a picture of the engine again. Can't be anything from the rod, camshaft or push rods or it would not run. It had to be the governor.
I am going to tip the mower to the oil fill and probe with a magnet. Not sure if the piece left the engine.
I can't afford to pull it down but have an old mower I can use.
I have to wonder about Briggs engines. I am going to complain to them. It is out of warranty.

Dark Helmet
08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
If it's an opposed twin they can throw a rod on one cylinder and still run.If you lost part of your governor( as indicated by higher than normal or non governed rpm's) on a splash lubricated model, it won't likely run long before seizing up. BTDT

a.squibload
08-05-2012, 03:58 PM
I have a mower problem too, she won't go out there
and do it!

44man
08-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I have a mower problem too, she won't go out there
and do it!
OH MY, now all of us guys have the truth! :holysheep