PDA

View Full Version : Indoor range sells spent brass to recycler

Silver Eagle
08-04-2012, 11:57 PM
I recently took my Son to a local indoor range for some target shooting and noticed all the brass on the floor. I asked an employee what they did with it and he said, "We sell it to a local recycler, it helps pay for the range." I asked him about selling it as once fired and he said that they make more off of the recycler than they would reselling it. Went as far as saying that the sold brass pays for the cost of keeping the range open.
Fortunately they do allow shooters to collect their own brass.
My question is: Is the money made from the recycler more than can be made than for selling once fired? Seems like a tremendous waste of good brass to me.

Silver Eagle

oneokie
08-05-2012, 12:10 AM
By selling to the recycler, they avoid having to sort and count or weigh the brass.

Recluse
08-05-2012, 12:15 AM
When you factor in the cost of labor to sort it and count it, yep, MUCH more profitable to call in the local recycler and tell them to sweep it up, write you a check and haul it off.

Also factor in how much JUNK brass are in those piles--22LR, oddball brands that are barely worth loading one time let alone multiple times, cracked and split brass, etc etc. Then there are the shotgun hulls, gunpowder, trash, etc found on the floor which ultimately ends up in the brass barrels.

My LE partner had an indoor range and gun store and we paid his kids to sort the brass, then we sent it off to be reloaded--some company in Denver, I think, who gave us a decent price break for supplying our own brass.

But keep in mind, this was twenty/twenty-five years ago. Price of brass has skyrocketed.

:coffee:

Jim
08-05-2012, 07:57 AM
By selling to the recycler, they avoid having to sort and count or weigh the brass.

.....and advertize, keep track of orders, package it, haul it to the post office, pay the shipping, deal with late/nonpayment.....

Been there and done that. Sweep it up, load it in buckets, haul it to the recycler, get the check and you're done. Much easier, quicker and more profitable.

44fanatic
08-05-2012, 08:59 AM
If its worth your time and money, you may be able to offer them the recyclers price for what you want...of course you will have to sort your own.

Jim
08-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Right now, in the area where I'm working, I'm getting a buck to a buck, twenty a lb. for what they classify as 'dirty brass'. The market price fluctuates, so there's no tellin' from one week to the next what it will be.

My buyer told me that if his buyer (commercial smelter) has an 'explosion' in his smelter from a live round, he would be fined $500. If that happens, I'm out of a buyer and would have to start all over.

Buyers communicate and keep track of sellers with bad reputations. I and my crew have to hand sort all the brass we separate out of the soil or rake up behind matches. There's enough work involved in just that. If what I'm getting paid for dirty brass were under a buck a pound, I wouldn't mess with it. I've got way too much to worry about trying to produce a ton of ingots a month.

Freightman
08-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I was offered the brass from an indoor range at scrap prices and I would have done it but about that time I had a spell of medical issues, replaced a knee, ripped all the mussels loose from my right arm, cut the main tendon in my left hand ect. Never got back to him and I do not shoot at a indoor range it chokes me up.
Yes I am a accident waiting to happen, but I am tough.

winchester85
08-05-2012, 09:35 AM
scrap brass at $2 per pound is ok, but if it is rifle brass, it is worth far more a cartridge brass than scrap. right now 7mm rem mag brass is going for over 30 cents a piece, in scrap it is worth about 6 or 7 cents. is it worth it to sort it for 24 cents a piece? hell yes, even including your time there is money there. if it is mostly handgun brass that is a different story. but the labor can be greatly reduced by some simple screens to filter out all the dirt and ****.

StratsMan
08-05-2012, 09:53 AM
When a new range opened in our area a couple of years ago, they tried sorting/boxing/selling brass at $30/k for awhile... It didn't move... (45 was $50/K)...

I think the problem is that there are relatively few reloaders in any given community compared to the total volume of rounds being shot... Most folks buy/shoot 9mm, and there were boxes and boxes of 9mm sitting on the shelf with no demand. Luckily, when I asked about 38 and 357, they said that their sorting machine couldn't tell the difference so they didn't bother to box them. They let me sort through a couple of buckets of those and take all the 357 I wanted for $30/K.... At that price, I took them all.... Wish there had been more, but most 357 shooters must keep their brass... Only found a few hundred cases....

That only lasted for 3-4 months.... Now, they too just sweep and recycle....

mold maker
08-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I've recently been to several ranges and was given the same old song and dance. It's a hazardpus material and has to be sent to a licenced recycler.
BS.
Someone has poisened the pot, for profit.

rmatchell
08-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Our local range sells it unsorted buy the pound. Though they don't have a scale, I picked up two Five gallon buckets for a hundred buck. It was a pain to sort by hand but well worth it.

btroj
08-05-2012, 10:27 AM
If I owned an indoor range I would sell it to a recycler too.
Recycler doesn't need it sorted or cleaned. Recycler will never complain that they were shorted or got a bad case. Recycler is a single customer, not many. Recycler allows me to move all of it at once.

The range is in business to make money. They want to do it easily. They are not in the business of providing cheap brass to reloaders.

It was a business decision, a sound one most likely. Get over it.

frkelly74
08-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Seems traitorous to an old scrounger from way back. But then I am not making any money to speak of at present. It did probably hurt them to sell out at first perhaps but business is business, they must have gotten used to it. And it is probably more profitable to sell new ammo than to encourage people to save by reloading.

Wayne Smith
08-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I haven't heard anyone say you can't buy it from them unsorted for the scrap price and sort it yourself. You would save them the delivery costs, as I doubt the scrap dealer picks up!

km101
08-05-2012, 02:11 PM
My local range will not sell to an individual at any price, much less "scrap price." They cite liability issues, and dealing with small quantities as the problem. But I find it hard to belive that the will not promote reloading and/or selling brass to customers who will then patronize their business! Again, it's just easier and more cost effective to recycle it, but it hurts me to see good reusable brass melted.

TCLouis
08-05-2012, 03:57 PM
I wonder what current scrap price is?

I have 3, 5 gallon buckets and a couple of sacks that would likely fill 4 - 5 more.

Need to convert it into wheel weights.

9.3X62AL
08-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Someone has poisened the pot, for profit.

NO--say it ain't so! :)

That sure as h-ee-twice toothpicks happened with lead and alloys of same. It doesn't take a nuclear physicist to see how running such a scam involving cartridge brass (haz mat......C'MON, MANG!) could corner a market niche.

Thankfully, range sites and their brass policies run from the sublime to the ridiculous. If one place gets surreal, another will likely be more accomodating. Just like lead, it's where you find it, and sometimes a bit of Kabuki Theater is involved in acquiring it.

troy_mclure
08-05-2012, 07:31 PM
My local shooting club/range sells their brass to a recycler. It pays the gas bills for the mower and tractors for the year.

GL49
08-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Last time I sold 40 S&W brass, I was asking $40 for two thousand, delivered, and didn't think it would ever get sold. At that time, I could have gotten $2.12 per pound at the recyclers, that's $42.40 for the same box of 2000. That's why they recycle the brass. I would rather sell it at a loss than take it to the recycler.

Adam10mm
08-06-2012, 12:40 AM
My question is: Is the money made from the recycler more than can be made than for selling once fired? Seems like a tremendous waste of good brass to me.

Depends on the price of scrap paid. Here its $1.30-1.50 per pound.

9mm is 8lbs per K
.40 is 9lbs per K
10mm is 10lbs per K
.45 ACP is 13lbs per K

9mm can be sold for $20-30 per K
.40 can be sold for $20-35 per K
.45 ACP can be sold for $50-70 per K

@ $1.40 average for 1,000pcs (K)

9mm $11.20 vs $20-30
.40 $12.60 vs $20-35
.45 ACP $18.20 vs $50-70

You will get more money with selling the brass as reloadable brass, but you'll need to factor labor in sorting the brass.

Scharch makes automated machinery that does this. It sorts the brass by caliber, but it costs $11,000 or so. Worth it if you're in it for the long haul. How many people does it take to sort that much brass at what price, payroll taxes, worker's comp insurance, etc versus a machine with one person running it? If the range gets a lot of brass it can be worth it. Scrap is a last resort. It's always worth more as brass than as scrap, but it's the labor involved in sorting that eats at the bottom line.

Scrapping brass is a fast check with low labor, but the smart ones that can make it work realize it's a slow check, low labor, small investment. A respectable range can make the investment back in 2 years or less. Looking at an average difference of $22 per K in brass versus scrap: 200,000 pieces a month is $4,400; nearly half the cost of the sorting machine. Difference in a year is $52,800 in revenue. How many range rat salaries is that?

troy_mclure
08-06-2012, 01:39 AM
but then you have the initial investment cost, most ranges these days are not high profit businesses.

Adam10mm
08-06-2012, 02:07 AM
You'd be surprised.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-06-2012, 09:56 AM
My local range sells to one guy that sorts and resells. Don't know what his prices are like, but they are probably fair.

bob208
08-06-2012, 01:20 PM
the one indoor range i had dealings with had a contract with a commercial reloader he got all the brass they got a discount on their live rounds they sold for use on their range.

Silver Eagle
08-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Next time I shoot there, I will ask if they will sell a bucket or carton at the price they get for scrap.
Probably would be a pretty varied mix since they allow anything up to and including 50 Cal.
Never hurts to ask.

Silver Eagle

Kicker96fs
08-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Such a shame to think all that perfectly good brass getting melted down!

KCSO
08-07-2012, 10:05 AM
I got a 55 gallon drum of brass from a local range with the idea of selling it to reloaders. First everyone wanted it sorted and then they wanted it cleaned and polished. By the time I sorted cleaned and polished the brass no one wanted to buy it because it was too expensive!

ErikO
08-08-2012, 01:33 PM
When a new range opened in our area a couple of years ago, they tried sorting/boxing/selling brass at $30/k for awhile... It didn't move... (45 was $50/K)...

I think the problem is that there are relatively few reloaders in any given community compared to the total volume of rounds being shot... Most folks buy/shoot 9mm, and there were boxes and boxes of 9mm sitting on the shelf with no demand. Luckily, when I asked about 38 and 357, they said that their sorting machine couldn't tell the difference so they didn't bother to box them. They let me sort through a couple of buckets of those and take all the 357 I wanted for $30/K.... At that price, I took them all.... Wish there had been more, but most 357 shooters must keep their brass... Only found a few hundred cases....

That only lasted for 3-4 months.... Now, they too just sweep and recycle....

Or now they smile as folks like me scramble after the brass on the floor. ;) I should have gone after the .45 ACP boxes they had for a while there, but those did go fast once teh word went out that they were not going to sort anymore.

I should be able to renew our family membership next quarter after bonuses come out. Nice range, good people.

shotgunpet
12-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Well I just got into the business of selling once fired brass. I am still looking for indoor ranges that will sell it around mid-missouri unsorted. So if you guys run across any let me know!

Four-Sixty
12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Earlier this year I could hardly every find brass at the range. Now, since about the Fall, I find more and more each time I go it seems. Last time, it was very busy. There was literally a carpet of brass across the ground. I got my fill and quit picking it up before it was all gone. I even found some .38 Special and lots of .223. I found .270 for the first time, 20 pieces! It seems like a lot more people are shooting lately, but not reloading.

mold maker
12-05-2012, 10:25 AM
The last fellow who shot there did you a great favor.
There are suddenly lots of new shooters, and they haven't caught on to re-loading (YET). The trend will reverse when their pocket books can't stand the strain. Soon the floor will be clean and somebody will be waiting to catch your brass, before it hits the ground.
If your a serious re-loader, you better get all of it while you can. At some point, it will trade for primers and power, and if you cast, you can shoot for free.

Bad Water Bill
12-05-2012, 11:24 AM
4-5 years ago the range I shoot at (Indiana D N R)there was 3-4 buckets left behind EVERY day. I could go thru and help myself to anything I could use. Fast forward BOTH range masters are gone (forced retirement),the range is now the busiest in the state BUT less than a 5 gal bucket full a day and DO NOT TOUCH MY BUCKET.

Every one now picks up even 22 brass and takes it to the scrap yard themselves.

Freightman
12-05-2012, 02:55 PM
If you find a piece of brass at our range I bet it is split as no one leaves any good brass.

dsbock
12-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Another possibility would be to have buckets of brass and a scale. Whoever wanted brass could sort through themselves and pay by the pound.

David

btroj
12-05-2012, 06:26 PM
If I owned the range I would sell it to the recycler. It is quick and I get my only right now.
Dealing with sorting it, selling it by weight to others, and all that means I now have more only tired up in inventory and it means more work for me.
At some point it also becomes a matter of how much a guy has room to store.

Businesses are in business to make only, not provide a service you perceive to be needed.

starmac
12-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Maybe we should get the govt. involved.(joking) I have heard of towns that require you separate and recycle your trash.