PDA

View Full Version : Two diameter bullet sizing

trk
05-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I guess I'm on the edge. I want to size bullets to two sizes. Two applications. First is for bore riding and second is for a 'heeled' bullet.

Anyone done it?

44man
05-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Yep. I made my mold too large on the bore ride. I wanted .4505" but it came out large enough where I need a stick to chamber them in my BPCR. The rest of the boolit is .464". I found that the Lee .451" size die only has a small size band in it and my boolit fit in from the top. I made a new, longer, base punch and a nose fitting punch to push the boolit back out. You can see it on top of the press.
I screw the die in from the bottom, upside down and adjusted it so my boolit nose is sized to the top drive band only. Works like a charm.

trk
05-08-2007, 12:44 PM
THanks 44Man - I KNEW if I'd though about it SOMEONE had done it before.

I'm starting with the Lee sizer (only about 12$ for the parts) and boring the sizing portion out to .500 to accept a two inside diameter cylinder. I'll use the same pusher up and build a knock-out pin for the top.

I'm looking at a long nose bore rider (Saeco 308) 200 grain in 30 cal that will become a prime mover for the 30-30 and 308 Win if I can get the nose up into the bore easily.

Then too, with a nose-punch pusher I'm looking at a 120gr Lyman (with a little help from the lathe) to make a heeled bullet to fit into a .32-20 case for a rechambered Martini Cadet that needs a .320 dia front band.

44man
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Let me know how it works out.