PDA

View Full Version : Need Mallable Alloy same size as WW

Irascible
08-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I had Mountain make a mould for a 310gr, .452 bullet for my Encore in 454 Casull. bore riding ogiveal nose with a 64% meplat, GC shank, no crimp groove. Gas checks go on fairly easy with WW as an alloy. I can even go to about 1oz of tin in 10lbs of WW. Any more tin than that and GC installation becomes a real pain. Now I'm sure this combination would go lengthwise through a Moose, but I don't usually hunt Moose!
Any suggestions as to what alloy I could use which would be more mallable (expandable) but would not increase dia?
Second part, are any of the GCs made by other suppliers somewhat looser than Hornady's latest? Has Hornady changed these? They seem shorter and harder with rounded shoulders where they are bent upward..

runfiverun
08-03-2012, 11:35 PM
gator are probably a bit looser.
go to the group buy log in and find dj's corner or one of blammer's posts and follow his link.
now if you have found that adding the tin makes them tighter some soft lead will make things a bit smaller. [something like 20%]
you can add back the 1% tin to make up the difference.
play the balance till you get the happy spot.

geargnasher
08-03-2012, 11:48 PM
50/50 WW and pure lead will cast a titch smaller than straight WW, but if you add one percent tin the difference is made up. Air-cooled this mix should be about 9 bhn and expand like crazy.

Gear

JeffinNZ
08-06-2012, 03:50 AM
20-1 lead-tin will give you same BHN as ACWW.

Larry Gibson
08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Add the 1 oz of tin (.0625% in a 10 lb alloy BTW, not 1%) since the GCs fit well. The addition of the tin will not only make the alloy cast better but will make a better alloy by the tin better enabling the antimony to go in solution with the lead. Then add 50% lead to that alloy. The GCs should fit on just fine and the expansion will be very good. As mentioned a lead / tin alloy is also good so you might try a 20-1 or 16-1 alloy. to see how the GCs fit. Either will give you a very good expanding bullet in your 454.

Larry Gibson