PDA

View Full Version : Casting Table

Ben
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
My friend Kenneth wanted to build him a casting table today. The two of us made this one in about an hour. He wanted casters on it , so it could be rolled outside of his basement when casting. Seems to have worked out just fine. Here are few photos of Kenneth sitting at his new casting table. He isn't new to reloading, but is a bit new to casting. We'll have him " up and running " in just a few days.

He has a new Lyman ladle and about 3 different molds ( a 7 m/m, a Lee .30 cal 200 gr. RN, and a Lyman 162 gr. SWC, 38/357 , 2 cav. mold. He will be sizing with Lee Push thru sizing dies and pan lubing for all 3 calibers.

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0564.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0565.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0568.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0567.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0566.jpg

geargnasher
08-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Hey Ben, if you ever decide to move, the place next door to me is for sale and has a good neighbor. Just sayin'.

Gear

btroj
08-04-2012, 07:31 AM
I may move next to Ben and beat you to it Gear.

Nice looking set up. Do the casters have a lock mechanism at all? I would worry this the table might move a bit when casting. Not a big deal but I like very thing to stay put!

Ben, you are an excellent example of why I tell people who want to learn to cast that they we'd to find someone who is willing to show them. You are an awesome teacher and a nifty carpenter too.

Ben
08-04-2012, 07:41 AM
I'd be proud to live next to either of you guys ! !

Ben

btroj
08-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't know Ben, I hate yard work. Weeds don't bother me either. Maybe that is why I have a largely wooded lot?

Recluse
08-04-2012, 12:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0564.jpg

Pretty cool, and a few thoughts.

That type of pressed particle board is notorious for weight-load warping. I'd take some 2x4s (they're inexpensive) and make a couple of cross-braces underneath the casting platform. Same thing on the side-walls. Child's play with a miter saw.

I know this because I made a very similar roll-away table for a small tools & parts platform for the hangar and within just a few months, it began warping just from having tools/parts on it.

You guys have a lot more humidity in Alabama than we do in north Texas and that will add to the warp factor as well.

I basically took my last sheet of plywood and did the same design over, but braced it thoroughly and over ten years later, the thing is still rolling around the hangar. Lot more grease on it, a few dings and whatnot, but no warpage.

Just thinking out loud here.

:coffee:

btroj
08-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Good point Recluse, it is hard to see that the underside of the table looks like.

A full pot of lead plus a few intros and moulds is gonna get heavy, fast.

I cast on top of an old chest freezer, have for years. It is plenty stout.

Ben
08-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Fellows, you all have excellent points.
We've got all kinds of 2 X 4's.
Will be very easy to reinforce everything
to ready it for " load bearing ".

Good ideas from all of you.....

Thanks,

Ben

BruceB
08-04-2012, 01:41 PM
In 45 years' loading and casting, I've learned one thing about benches:

There's no such thing as "too solid".

The best bench I ever built was integral to the actual structure of the house I was erecting at the time. The top was made of 2x4 lumber with the 2x4s SIDE TO SIDE like this: llllllllllll. The boards were glued together, and all-thread rod installed across the width at 12"-intervals. When I tightened -down the nuts, glue squirted EVERYWHERE....but by George it was solid!

The eight-foot top likely weighed about four hundred pounds, with its 3/4" A/C plywood top (for a smooth work surface). The bench was bolted to stud walls on both ends and along the back, and folding doors protected the front.

I miss that bench!

My present bench is ten feet long and has THREE layers of 5/8" plywood for the top, supported by 2x6" underpinnings, and it too is bolted to the building-wall studs at both ends and the back.

At odd times over the life of a bench, you WILL apply unforeseen loads and stresses. It's best to anticipate these loads during construction. A mobile bench is neat, but it's very limited in strength.

One thing I'd suggest is applying a sheet of 1/8" aluminum to your benchtop. This will keep it clean, and more importantly, spills of alloy will NOT stick to the aluminum or make unsightly burns. I have such a sheet on my casting area, and it works beautifully.

Good luck.

Ben
08-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes, Bruce....I sent Kenneth an Email last night about this very subject.

He has aluminum sheeting that he will cover the top of his casting table with to make lead spills and splashes easier to clean up.

Thanks,
Ben

BeeMan
08-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Bruce,

Very good to see you posting, sir. Have been wondering how you are doing.

Yes, stout is good. My present bench is a laminate of 3 layers of 1/2 inch plywood, glued and screwed, on top of a 3/4 inch plywood cabinet. Stability is enhanced by supplies stored in the cabinet and an upper unit of shelves along the back of the bench.

The casting bench is mobile due to floor space limits. It is a sheet metal shelf from a storage cabinet, reinforced with an insert of 3/4 inch plywood. Bolted to a recycled table saw base, this makes for a stable, heat resistant, yet easily moved casting table.

BeeMan

eta: Nice job Ben. Getting someone new started on casting spreads the knowledge. Nothing wrong with my neighbours but you've got them all beat.

Recluse
08-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Ben, one last thought here. . .

I'd also consider getting one of those six-outlet strips and fastening it to the side or back of the casting table. Then, Kenneth can plug in his pot, a hotplate, a heatgun, etc, and only need ONE extension cord to plug the outlet strip into. This will also keep the loose/excess power cords a lot tidier and neater, which always, always adds another safety margin in--especially important for new casters.

OK, I'll shut up now. :)

Ben
08-04-2012, 09:36 PM
ANOTHER GREAT IDEA !

Ben

David2011
08-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Be sure the power strip is a good one. My RCBS furnace drew too much current for a cheap all plastic one and it started to melt.

David

Arkansas Stretch
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Be sure the power strip is a good one. My RCBS furnace drew too much current for a cheap all plastic one and it started to melt.

David

This is good to know.

Longwood
08-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Ben, one last thought here. . .

I'd also consider getting one of those six-outlet strips and fastening it to the side or back of the casting table. Then, Kenneth can plug in his pot, a hotplate, a heatgun, etc, and only need ONE extension cord to plug the outlet strip into. This will also keep the loose/excess power cords a lot tidier and neater, which always, always adds another safety margin in--especially important for new casters.

OK, I'll shut up now. :)

Most home circuits are only 15 amp.
I would not max out one of those strips.
ESPECIALLY if it is made in China.