PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday at the range 7-5-05

Buckshot
07-11-2005, 11:19 PM
...........I guess I orta do one, as I noticed in a post Deputy Al made on the pistol forum about "No Range Report" and how it was just so much fun. So okay.

Deputy Al won. There, that's out of the way :lol: The 4 of us shot 10 rounds in rotation at the 11x14" 200 meter gong. Simple. You hit, you score and the non-shooters spotted the shooter. So Al was shooting a M94 Winchester in thoity-thoity. This was all offhand, iron sights.

It was a sudden death run off between Al and Glen, as me and Larry did pretty poopy, to be kind about it. Oh heck yes I have a super alibi. You bet. Larry was shooting his grandads 1886 Win 45-70, issue sights. Glen was shooting a Win M70 Supergrade 30-06 with a Lyman 48 and apurture up front. I believe Al had a peep rear.

So now the best part is that I brought a box of nicely accurate 45-70 ammo my 1884 Trapdoor really likes (23.0 surp SR4759 + dacron, RCBS 300gr FNGC). However, I neglected to bring the Trapdoor and instead brought the 45-90 Sharps. Go figure that one out and get back to me. I'm still working on it at this end [smilie=p:

I think I hit the plate once, to come in dead last.

................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
07-12-2005, 12:22 AM
I do like reaction/impact targets, for sure. Lots of fun, and I think my enjoyment of them and success with them has to do with the first shooting I did as a kid--bird hunting and clay sports with shotguns. Targets need to DO SOMETHING when hit--not just sit there and embarrass me like paper targets so often do. Paper targets are to target shooting what panty hose are to lovemaking.

The rifle used was my Mystery Commemorative post-64/pre-angle eject Win 94 x 30-30. It has some scrollwork on the receiver, a brass-colored loading gate, and case-colors saddle ring. No rollmark on the barrel, though. Probably just a one-size-fits-all generic commemorative pre-cursor platform--and given the number of Rising Sun Winchester Commemoratives out there, its lack of enrollment makes it pretty rare in its own right. I hope so, at least--just to grind the jaws of the collector fascists. It shoots VERY well with both jacketed and cast (take THAT, Fjestaad), and that day's load was 12.0 x 2400 (no dacron) and the last of the LBT 170 FNGC that Felix sent me a while back.