PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for my son

fatelk
08-03-2012, 10:17 AM
I normally don't post this kind of thing, but to be honest I'm scared. My little boy goes in for some tests this morning. He's only 6 and has some health problems that require serious medication and put him at some risk of something more serious. We took him to his doctor last night and her level of concern scared the daylights out of us.

I hate being so paranoid, borderline hypochondriac. I know it's most likely no big deal and the tests are just to rule out the worst case scenario, but the worry on the doctor's face makes me worry otherwise. Neither my wife or I got much sleep and I find myself more emotional than I like to be this morning. My family means the world to me. I haven't been as much of a praying man as I should be but right now I'm so scared I'm sick.

connecticut-yankee
08-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Prayers coming your way - let's hope your little man grows up to be an image of his family.

oldred
08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
One simply can not be a hypochondriac, it is instead love and concern, when it comes to our children, my heart and prayers go out to you and your child.

Recluse
08-03-2012, 10:41 AM
You got 'em.

:coffee:

waksupi
08-03-2012, 10:42 AM
We're with you. Don't let fear command you, until you know for sure.

alrighty
08-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Prayers sent.

catmandu
08-03-2012, 10:52 AM
fatelk,
Been there, prayers are for you and your little shooter.
God is Sovereign, He is never late, always on time.
May His peace be with you in this time of trouble.

Paul in WNY

smoked turkey
08-03-2012, 11:12 AM
When its your own it causes feelings in a man he didn't know he had. I imagine you would gladly take the illness yourself rather than your son having it. It is a hard time. But know this, the Lord has already taken our sins, sickness, and any infirmnity on Him so trust Him to take care of the boy. You are doing exactly the right thing by reaching out to others who can intercede for and with you and your son at this time and ask the Lord to take charge of this situation. He has and He will.

Wal'
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Not much of a prayer man myself either, but my thoughts are with you, keep the good fight. [smilie=s:

mstarling
08-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Prayers sent for the young one!!!

Being more than a bit uncomfortable under such circumstances is absolutely normal! My now 40+ youngest son is getting ready to deploy again ... and I still worry abt the difficult days he will face!

Best of good fortune to the young one. We wish you calm and strength as well as the best outcome!

fatelk
08-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone. I didn't mean to jump the gun there. I guess we're a bit sensitive about this kind of thing. He was just a baby when I was diagnosed with cancer myself. The memories are strong, but I would rather go through that a hundred times myself.

snuffy
08-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks everyone. I didn't mean to jump the gun there.

You didn't. The deepest fear we as parents have is when a little one is sick. I know it was for me. Fear is directly from satan, he wants us afraid so that the Lords healing cannot take place.

Prayers sent for your son, give him up into his hands, trust the Lord Jesus.

jumbeaux
08-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Sir I send my Prayers for your son, your wife, you and your entire family for a great report that reliefs you concerns. May Christ heal y'all completely.....

rick

tryNto
08-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I'll pray that God's Will be done and thats His Blessings be upon you and yours.

EMC45
08-03-2012, 01:32 PM
2Ti 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Fear not. Worry and doubt are from the pit of hell. You have prayers being sent as you read this. God says to come boldly! Prayers are entering the Throne Room of God on behalf of your son. I have a 6 year old boy and he is 90MPH ALL the time. He has had some close calls too (6 months old, oxygen tent with RSV Pneumonia).

Fishman
08-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Prayers offered.

I am not good at saying inspirational things.

gray wolf
08-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Prayers for you and the family have been offered up.

Grandpas50AE
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
My prayers shall join the others. These times test our faith, have strength (not an easy thing to do), keep your faith, and we are all with you in prayer.

I agree with Snuffy, you didn't jump the gun - you reached out to friends and fellow Christians like you should (also not an eay thing to do). God bless.

x101airborne
08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I lost my religion long ago, but my faith in the Father has never been stronger. Being a pure soul means asking God for his help, recognizing His presence and then acting on it. May His plan be revealed to you soon. My prayers offered for you and your family.

Olevern
08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Prayers sent up for you and your's. God is in control; not to say bad things don't happen to good folks, but the Word of God says that "all things work together for good for them that love the Lord". May He grant you peace and mercy in this stressful situation.

Hamish
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Without ceasing,,,

popper
08-03-2012, 03:53 PM
What they say. What is life for if not to care about others.

crappie-hunter
08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Prayers sent for your son that God's will be done.

(Jas 5:16) Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

littlejack
08-03-2012, 05:13 PM
I have personally seen Gods wonderful miracules in my life and the lives of others dear to me.
Folks have been near death, and the Lord has healed them to where there has not been any need for further conscene. If other folks could have saw these miracles, it would bring them closer to our Lord and savior, and their own lives would have been blessed in so many ways.
It is a personal choice to believe in, and accept our savior. It is also free to get his many blessing.
I pray for your son sir, that the Lord will lay his healing touch on him. That we may all know the power of our the Lord in heaven, and to strengthen our faith in the power of prayer. Amen.
All we have to do is ask.
Reguards
Jack

Bad Water Bill
08-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Prayer sent.

just please remember we are a super big family here and most are willing to help if you ask

Houndog
08-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Prayers for you and the little one offered up

gbrown
08-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Trust in God, be strong. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Superfly
08-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Just sent him a hot one

LUCKYDAWG13
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
there are sent

smokey496
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Prayers for you and your son. God bless

Firebricker
08-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Prayer sent more to come. Your faith will get you through this difficult time. FB

fatelk
08-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind comments and prayers. We got some preliminary results from the tests a little while ago, and they basically ruled out the biggest fear- the dreaded "C" word. This is a massive relief and answered prayers!

He has had severe JRA since he was three, and one of the medications we give him is one of those new cutting-edge super drugs that has a "black box" warning that the FDA thinks it may be linked to increased cancer risk in kids, plus the fact that kids with JRA are at four times more risk from things like Lymphoma anyhow. Without this medication he would probably be in a wheelchair.

This concern, coupled with my own cancer fight a few years ago, caused us to freak out when he showed us a big lump in his armpit. The doctor became VERY concerned and said it is a swollen mass of lymph glands, and either an infection of some kind due to his compromised immune system, or something worse. Then she started talking about pediatric surgeons and biopsies.

We still don't know for sure what it is since the rest of the tests aren't in yet, and it may still need to be biopsied, but we can deal with infections and such. We're still coming down off our scare and my head is in a fog. Maybe we were all worked up over nothing, but I'm so thankful he'll be OK. I tend to be a very protective parent, but am learning that I am absolutely helpless to completely protect them from everything, and need to lean on the One who can.

Thanks again for all the responses and prayers. Know that they were answered.:)

PS- my little guy isn't much of a shooter yet. He doesn't have much interest in guns at this time, but I have brainwashed them all very well regarding gun safety. He hasn't even shot the M1 I bought for him from the CMP yet; maybe when he's a little older.

wv109323
08-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the good report. I will continue to offer up prayer for your son.

kbstenberg
08-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Fatelk you have all of us here as your support base. We are praying for you and your son.

Dale53
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Fatelk;
Our prayers are with you and your family...

Dale53

Big Boomer
08-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Prayers sent, friend. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

Dirtdgger
08-03-2012, 10:09 PM
My prayers for your son and for you is for gods grace.

Lance Boyle
08-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Adding my thoughts and prayers too for future good prognoses.
Glad it's good so far, let's keep going on that path.

dieguy59
08-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Praying for your peace. He is the Healer

skeettx
08-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Prayers lifted up on your behalf
Mike

Rooster
08-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Prayers sent. May God bless your son with a rapid and complete recovery.

Frank46
08-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Prayers said for your son. Frank

lead-1
08-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Prayers sent and God bless.

Multigunner
08-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Prayer on its way.

Bret4207
08-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Thoughts and prayers headed your way. Nothing wrong with asking for a little support at a time like this.

blackthorn
08-04-2012, 11:40 AM
From our house to yours, prayers and positive thoughts for your child and yours!! Keep the faith brother! The worst part of something like this is the uncertenty and the mind that keeps saying "what if". We have just gone through similar circumstances with our 47 year old daughter and lung cancer. This board gave us teriffic support and thanks to God, good doctors and the prayers of friends and family her future looks good.

Jeffrey
08-04-2012, 01:47 PM
What is your son's name? PM me if you do not want to put that information on the list. Jeffrey

Fishman
08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Fatelk, I didn't know what JRA was so I looked it up. For others who might not either it is short for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

One of the associated symptoms listed for this autoimmune disease is swollen lymph nodes.

I was heartened to read that some children go into remission when they get older so I will pray for that.

fatelk
08-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Yes, about half of the kids with JRA get permanent remission by the time they reach adulthood. My understanding is that this is somewhat dependent on severity. His is quite severe, but we can always hope.:)

There are different types of JRA, and many levels of severity and symptoms. My wife said that she read it is one of the leading causes of blindness in underdeveloped countries, as it can get in the eyes. He has one eye that is affected. Thankfully new medication controls the symptoms better. If he had been born 20 years earlier his prognosis would have been much worse. As is now he should be able to live a relatively normal life. When he was first diagnosed at 3, he went from a normal little boy to a knobby, crippled little guy who could barely even walk in the course of just a few weeks as we worked with doctors to figure it out. Now with treatment he's out running and climbing trees (most of the time).

The standard medication (a common chemotherapy drug) used to treat bad cases didn't quite cut it for him, so we went to the scary $20k/yr superdrug with the "black box" warning, though the latest new on the new drugs is that they think the increased risk of cancer is from the symptoms of the disease itself and not the drugs. It's important to control the symptoms if possible because any joint or eye damage done will be permanent and bother them their whole life.

Right now he is fine. The doctor put him on an antibiotic for the likely infected lymph nodes, and he says they don't hurt now. A few more days will tell with that, but it's looking good. I just had to go get him down from the top of the apple tree. He likes to climb up there and eat apples but being the ever-worrying parent, I'm afraid he'll fall. I like to think I'm not over-protective, but maybe I am a little. I know he thinks I am. He's so little, and thin (common for JRA). His >2yo brother is almost as big as he is, but little bro is a solid, broad-shouldered tank!

I want to thank you all again for all the thoughts, prayers, and kind comments. They really do mean a lot. My faith is not as strong as it should be and I do worry too much. To be honest when I look around at the world I realize that we are incredibly blessed, and I really have no right to worry and complain at all. A friend at church asked for prayer for his coworker and family a couple months ago. These people had a son who had fought brain cancer for most of his life. They had to watch their little 10yo boy slowly die as the cancer took his sight, speech, etc. one at a time until he was gone. I am amazed at the strength and faith of those parents, can't even imagine the agony. It tears me up to think about it. I hate cancer.

jmsj
08-04-2012, 08:49 PM
fatelk,
I too hate cancer. It has been the end of many that I love.
My family are Believers and we will pray for strength and mercy for you and your family.
We have had some serious health problems in our family also so I have an idea of what your'e going through.
Like you, I also have a challenge when it comes to leaving my dilema to the Lord. With time and prayer I have become better at it. I pray that you will too.
May God Bless you and yours, stay strong, jmsj

Wilson
08-04-2012, 09:08 PM
• I have child who was diagnosed with JRA at age 6. It was a rough go for several years. He is in remission at age 23. I am a believer in Jesus' power to heal and offer my heartfelt prayers on behalf of your son.

Don Purcell
08-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Done and done again. God bless

swheeler
08-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Prayers sent

fatelk
08-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone. He had a follow-up doctor visit yesterday and all is well. It was a false alarm, just an infection due to his compromised immune system. Bad enough, but not the sort of thing to get worked up about. It's just that we have been there before and a lot of memories and worries resurfaced.

The JRA, on the other hand, is a long term thing. Everyone has something in their life, and many have a whole lot worse. You learn to live with it and just do your best. We'll be fine.

I appreciate you all, and your kind words and prayers during a tough time.

44man
08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I join all of our great friends with prayer and darn it, tears.

GT27
08-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Prayers sent your way my friend,have faith in the miracles God performs daily! GT27