PDA

View Full Version : flash light questions

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-31-2012, 01:33 PM
I have been looking at a small but power full flash light for some time for every day carry

wow the options and the inability to head down to the local store to try them out

it was easier to pick a CCW

yes I do have a CCL and carry almost all the time

I have flash lights at home and that i keep in the truck my current go to flash light is a 3 D cell Mag lite LED very bright i can clearly see the brown dog against the brown ground at 50 yards when i have to go call him off a rabbit in the back yard

another post got me thinking it is time to upgrade daily carry flash light mist of the time int eh winter i would carry a head lamp in my coat pocket for working on things , but my other small flash lights have all fallen apart or stopped working most were dorcy 9 led 3 aaa they were good for 7 dollars and very handy but not bright enough

i am currently looking at 2 lights my budget for this is kind of low

first the maglite xl200
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EHL6O8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and the Streamlight 88031 Protac Tactical Flashlight 2L
http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88031-Tactical-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B00396S1Q2/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1343754359&sr=1-1&keywords=flashlight

a friend showed me his xl50 , it seemed good and he was happy with it , he uses it every day when working on A/V setups he had had his for about a year and it was holding up well

i like the idea of using standard AA or AAA batteries for convenience , but also can understand sometimes they just cant give the power a high output battery can.

what are your experiences , has any one used the streamlight warranty

are there other lights in the 35-45 dollar price point that i should be considering that put out similar or greater light output.

fecmech
07-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Check out Wilgen's group buy flashlight. I bought 2 and am very happy with it. Has a rechargeable 3V lithium battery and 3 power levels. You could drive your car on an unlighted country road on the high setting( I did it to show off to my BIL!) and medium is brighter than my 3 cell mag light. They were $50. for light ,2 batteries and the charger. Great deal.

popper
07-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Fenix LD20. Son got me one, small and BRIGHT. Led and AA batt.

geargnasher
07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't get the CR123a model unless you just HAVE to have it fit in a shirt pocket, but DO get a Streamlight. The Pro-Tac 2AA is what I use instead, it really is "all that and a bag of chips" as they say. The only thing that might be better is the Light-for-Life 5.11, but it's full-sized.

Gear

375RUGER
07-31-2012, 02:28 PM
this redline is what my wife carries and she really likes it. I've met others with the same light and no one doesn't like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Nebo-Redline-Tactical-Flashlight-5581/dp/B0049M8I22/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1343758784&sr=1-1&keywords=tactical+flashlight

I have a surefire single mode that I've been carrying for years. I need to upgrade though and get something with 200+ lumens.

FYI- I get my CR123 batteries from www.all-battery.com
the cheap ones have 750mAh capacity
and they have rechargeable ones too.

dagger dog
07-31-2012, 06:58 PM
If you buy a AA or AAA flashlight, use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries, they will out last any other type , especially if they just sit (shelf life), they won't destroy a flashlight by leaking and they will give the maxium amperage when needed.

I use a 2 AA cell LED Mini Mag daily I don't care about the twist on-off, the autopower step down or SOS flash features, but it is VERY BRIGHT to the point of temporary blinding in the dark, and SHOCKPROOF.

I can get 60 +; days plus from 2 of the 4 for 10 buck Ultimates, and that's equates to about 10-15 minutes on time per day at my job.

Circuit Rider
07-31-2012, 08:01 PM
fecmech is right on. You won't find a better deal than Wiljen. Watch for the next group buy and see if he has one you can use. I'm not trying to speak for Wiljen but you might PM him and see if he has any leftovers. CR

gbrown
07-31-2012, 08:04 PM
I have an old Streamlight Stinger XT, rechargeable, and I love it. The Kel Lights of olden day were fabulous as a patrolman. I had a 4 D cell that saved me several times (not the lighted end) and my brother had a 6 D cell that I inherited. Heavy and bulky, but could get somebody's attitude right. The XT has been sent in twice for repair, and so far, hasn't cost me anything but the shipping to Houston.

longhorn
07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Long-time Magite user, but they're now antiquated and outdated technology. Look at Surefire.

gbrown
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
+1 on Surefire. Had a couple, not mine, issued by the military. Batteries were an issue, if privately owned. 8-10 years ago, about $20 a pop.

MBTcustom
07-31-2012, 11:28 PM
I know some about flashlights. I too have my CCW and I carry a flashlight on my belt all the time. I started carrying a flashlight back 6 years ago when I had my "bachelor party" (no alcohol or scantly clad women thankyouverymuch) all my best friends came to the party, and they certainly proved that status with the amazing gifts that they brought. One feller gave me a De-walt cordless drill that I still use daily. Another gave me a surefire C2 centurion. I carried that light for 3 years and found that its usefulness was surpassed only by my pocketknife (Spyderco Endura BTW I highly recommend). I find myself shining it at anything that I am trying to see irregaurdless whether it helps or not (its a habbit). Anyway, I carried that light for 3 years and the rubber collar fell off, the clip broke, and the button wore through. I kept trying to find parts for it but I couldn't find out anything. Finally, I called Surefire and told the guy what was wrong with my light. He just asked me for my address, and told me that new parts would be at my door in a couple days!!! That's service!
Since then, the bulb burned out for the second time, and I bought a cheap replacement at a gunshow. Its a Saik brand with a Cree bulb (Cree bulbs are top of the line and should be looked for when buying a flashlight) it takes the 123 camera batteries just like the surefire, but it only needs one while the surefire took two. I really like the Saik, but as soon as it bites the big burrito, I'm just going to buy a new bulb for the Surefire.
My two cents is that a light is something that you should buy quality. and by "quality" I mean lumins. You want to be able to burn the hair off a dogs a$$ with it. I have used lesser lights and its like going from a V-8 to a four cylinder.
You will not regret plunking down a few extra bucks for a good light, because while you hope never to use your carry weapon, you will end up using your light all the time, I guarantee it.

MtGun44
08-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Strongly recommend a flashlight which used the rechargable 18650
batteries. I have number that use two C123 batteries and these are
super expensive and relatively short life. The 18650 seems to last
forever by comparison. A pair of 18650s, a charger and flashlight can
be had from China in the $30 -50 range depending on the power of
the LED. The lights I have use one of these batteries - which is longer
than most.

Bill

David2011
08-01-2012, 12:50 AM
After buying 3 of Wiljen's group buy lights with perfect reliability, I highly recommend them. They're pocket sized and incredibly bright at around 800 lumens.

David

Lloyd Smale
08-01-2012, 05:11 AM
not to be reputitious but you just wont find more light for the money if hes got left overs.
fecmech is right on. You won't find a better deal than Wiljen. Watch for the next group buy and see if he has one you can use. I'm not trying to speak for Wiljen but you might PM him and see if he has any leftovers. CR

grrifles
08-01-2012, 08:32 AM
I carry a stream light Protac-1AA. I use it at work (aircraft mechanic) and it is also my carry light. It's small and very bright also has a strobe and lower setting. I like the way it's on the bright setting when turned on for strobe you simply double tap the button. I highly recommend this light. It isn't much bigger then my tube of carmex.

Chris

dragonrider
08-01-2012, 09:00 AM
I have a MINI MAGLITE LED uses 2 AA batteries. Very happy with it. All Aluminum, very durable. Have dropped several times with no problems.

Char-Gar
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
My daughter gave me a Surefire a couple of years ago. It is great, could not do without it.

pmer
08-01-2012, 09:45 AM
+1 for the Wilgen light.

I think his original would stand up next to any of them and it's cheap to use with the rechargable batteries. I would like to see him offer it on a continous basis.

bloodyknife
08-01-2012, 09:48 AM
MtGun44 is right on with his recommendation for the lithium 18650. I get all I want for free at the recycling center. I salvage them from ol laptop battery packs. About 25% are still good (test 3.8v or better). Cheap chargers go for about $10. There are safety issues with recharging. Just put the charger in a metal bucket where it wont start a fire when charging. the Tesla electric is powered by 6000 lithium 18650s.
Google Solarforce flashlights. These are very high quality and inexpensive. They use the generic P60 Surefire type bulb module. These are available with various LEDs with all sorts of modes and can be upgraded later as LEDs improve. You can get models that use different batteries too. I have at least a dozen and I keep about 50 18650s charged up (they're FREE).
You won't be able to stop with just one of these lights.

EMC45
08-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I have a Surefire G2 Nitrolon I bought at uniform sales and a Surefire 6P I got from my local shop. Like them both. A lot. I also have a Streamlight AAA penlight with a pocket clip that gets used daily. I had 2 given to me at work. Gave one to a buddy and kept one. It is bright as well.

gray wolf
08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
http://flashlightconnection.com/Dereelight-Flashlights/Dereelight-Javelin/Dereelight-Javelin-3S-XP-E-R4-LED-p377.html
I ain't saying no more about lights, I have this light and it kicks all kinds of butt.
Mini mags and 2 d mag lights even with LED bulbs are no match.
1AA 2AA or 3AA configurable, fits in a pocket or belt.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-01-2012, 02:37 PM
thank you ,you have all given me good info on a number of the lights in this type

I am looking over all of them to see what is the best option for me

knowing nothing about a number of the manufacturers you have listed i am researching them further

I will keep an eye out for the group buy light it does look like a heck of a deal.

MtGun44
08-02-2012, 12:32 AM
I have purchased from these guys before. Slow shipping from China, but accurately
described and cheap. 18650 batteries have to be used to be believed how good they
are.

http://www.dinodirect.com/ultrafire-wf-501a-flashlight-2batteries-charger-cree-r5-led-1mode.html

Bill

Silver Hand
08-02-2012, 02:59 AM
An Electrician told me about the head gear this company sells. I had some interest in that, never having worn one [flash light on my forehead]. Two free hands got my attention.
The flash lights looked OK, so here they are.

http://www.brightmedic.com/Super_Bright_LED_Flashlights_s/21.htm

I will be spending more time watching this post and reading up on the latest in flash lights Myself.

steg
08-02-2012, 03:21 AM
My vote goes to the Coast lineup, they have a AAA two cell penlight that thinks its a spotlight, and a 3 cell triple A that is a spotlight. It also has an adjustable beam, and on full floodlight setting, theirs no dark circles, just pure light, I got mine at Lowes.

BTW Their single led bulbs The three cell is a Coast PX45, the two cell penlight is a Stream light STYLUS PRO...

3006guns
08-02-2012, 08:06 AM
All you guys are discussing the wrong thing. What we need is a flashlight that doesn't start flickering or going dim, then bright, then dim when you're under the house trying desperately to fix that stupid leak!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-02-2012, 11:28 AM
All you guys are discussing the wrong thing. What we need is a flashlight that doesn't start flickering or going dim, then bright, then dim when you're under the house trying desperately to fix that stupid leak!

if i am fixing some thing i wear the head lamp i have several of them , both hands free to work , but i also don't go under my house i just go in the basement

i use the head lamps all the time , when you work from before sun up to after sun down all winter , then have to get your own stuff done in the dark when you get home head lamps are great, before the were making decent head lamps i had a pair of firing muffs with 2 flash lights taped to the band

it is sad when your excited about being able to move snow during the daylight
because you have been doing it in the dark for 2 months. some times i take a long lunch just to move snow in the daylight before it freezes a crust again

the mag light 3d cell LED is a terrific light for for my around the house needs , the kids left it on for about 3 hours last night looking for a book that ended up under a bed , then they left my flash light under the bed for 3 hours ,still on , i found a glow from under the bed when i went to put them to bed , so if i don't have to carry it the mag light serves most of my needs , it is still running on the original batteries from February when i purchased it , now with many hours of run time on the batteries

but a small powerful light that i can carry every where is what i am looking for

popper
08-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Fenix! Google it, they have everything.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I am seeing that most everything has a 2, 3, or 5 function selections

can you indicate what of the lights you have suggested can do momentary on at full brightness

some talk about half push , or memory to recall your last setting , this seems to be the most confusing point , what does the operation take

popper
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Mine has a hard push, click for on-off. Just tap and it changes functions. The strobe is nice for nite as it gives lots of light but isn't blinding. The SOS would be handy if you need it, injured or such.

EMC45
08-03-2012, 09:10 AM
I dressed out a few hogs wearing a head lamp. It was invaluable! Couldn't have done it without.

grrifles
08-03-2012, 01:12 PM
The stream light is full bright at half push of button. Or click it in for on. With out clicking the button you can go from bright to strobe to dim when you have dim or strobe selected just click it in and it stays on.

popper
08-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Probably all made in China. Note, the programmable ones have chip that gives longer battery life. The cheap ones run directly from battery voltage use 3 cells. Led cutoff voltage is ~ 3.2 so you only get 30% of battery charge before it goes dim. Using alkaline rechargeable is even worse. Those head-lamps are great. I want to change the red led for a green one for nite vision.

Greg G
08-04-2012, 01:15 AM
I also am a fan of the single 18650 LED lights. There are many good lights out there, and one brand that I like a lot is Deereelight. I have 4 of their lights and they all work after having them for several years. The *pill* is easy to replace and cheap if you have a problem with it. The pill is also called a *light engine* in flashlight speak. It consists of the LED and the driver.

Deereelight also offers different *tints*. The tint is simply the color of light put out by the LED. I don't like the blueish LED's. I prefer a neutral tint that looks like vanilla ice cream. Cree has changed their binning and I can't remember the names of the bins that I like, but in the old system it was a WH tint.

Candlepowerforums.com is where I've learned most of what I know about LED lights and the batteries for them. A must read for those trying to learn what is best for them.

Tracy
08-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Another fan of 18650s here, but I use them in a pair of 2C Maglites with Pelican "Big D" xenon incandescent bulbs. I also have several cheap LED lights of the variety that came with a holder for three AAA cells. I have discovered that a single 18500 Li cell will replace that holder handily, if you roll up a bit of corrugated cardboard to go around it (it is smaller diameter than the battery holder). The voltage is correct. I bought two 18500s direct from Hong Kong for less than $6, with free shipping.

looseprojectile
08-04-2012, 03:12 PM
For years I have needed a rechargeable light to pierce the darkness when something goes bump in the yard and the dog alerts me.
There are few that have met my needs.
I am a little slow in some things. For instance. I went to school with Gary Loomis.
All of us guys thought he was wasting his time making fishing poles.[smilie=b:
Another example is my son was searching for the ideal handgun. He has gone through three or four different carry guns only to end up with the one I have used all along. John Brownings 1911. Father knows best? Maybe, sometimes.

This thread has awakened me to the fact that in "light" of new technology I may not need a large cumbersome rechargeable portable spotlight. I will be investigating all the choices and choosing a couple of the suggested super lights that fit my needs. I can remember when I would not go into a tunnel or cavern to explore as I didn't trust the batteries in my flashlight to last for more than five minutes.
Great thread:CastBoolitsisbest:

Life is good

Greg G
08-04-2012, 03:41 PM
When picking a light try to find beamshots of it first. I fell into the trap of wanting maximum throw when I first got into buying lights. I've since backed off that and want something that has a lot of *spill*.

A wall of light is better than a pin point.

MtGun44
08-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Start your search on lights that use the 18650 battery, often a real deal for light, with two
batteries (it uses one) and a charger for $25-35. You will save a ton of money and
have longer burn time, to boot.

Bill

gray wolf
08-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Before you get into 18650 Lithium reachable Batteries PLEASE
read all you can on how important it is to charge them properly. read (safely )
They can and do explode, they have burned down houses when left unattended.
Two 18650 batteries in the same light are even more dangerous.
Why ? cause if there is a voltage differential in one of the batteries, it can greatly effect the other. In short you could wind up with a pipe bomb in your hands.
Please read all you can on theses Batteries and be sure they are for you.
The better batteries have a small chip in the base that acts like an emergency shut down for the batteries if things go wrong while charging or in use.
The El cheapo chargers for these batteries have caused grief. When they blow they are like a 410 shot shell, spewing, toxic gas, shrap metal, and flame.
Some folks use a special bag to charge them in.
As for run time ? and how long they last ? Most units read, not all get an average of 1 hour burn on high, read the specks.
Yes some will get more, but they are mostly larger lights.
Anyone that pushes these lights without telling people of the safety issues involved,
IMHO is selling you short, and anyone who tells you I am full of crappp
don't know what they are talking about, Plain and simple
and it can be proven, day in and day out.
Do a search on the dangers of 18650 batteries in rechargeable flash lights.
Once more: does it happen often ? No if you are careful.
Can it happen ? you bet your booty it can happen.
Also you need a light that will fill your needs, if you need a lot of throw
then you compromise on the close in halo or spill, but you can find lights that are a good second if you need both. A good 2AA rechargeable light using Sanyo Enloop
batteries will still give good burn time, are safe to recharge and can be found in a small light.
My Dereelight (Javelin) will throw 75-80 yards with 1 hour + burn on high.
It's a tight beam with a good amount of spill, and will deliver 250+ lumen out the front. In will fit in your pocket or on your belt.
It;s important to know your needs, and get a light that fill them.
Naturally you don't want a light much bigger that a mini mag for every day carry,
But for outdoor ranch or farm work a big light can or may be a better choice.
get what you want, but if you go reachable 1860, read about there proper use and charging, it's all I am saying., and I do so cause I don't want anything to happen to anyone. Excuse me for my strong feelings about this. ( I know I am correct )

firefly1957
08-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I am very happy with a Coleman 115 lumen that I got for $21 at Walmartmart give about 85 yds range and is good inside too. Aluminum body can be used to enhance a punch if needed.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Friday night i got a little head to head comparison , we belong to a Traditional music collective we had our big music festival this last weekend we hire a police officer to make out temp class B liquor license good with the city , blue grass and old time not being a very rowdy he or she often has plenty of time to talk so i asked him what he carried for a flashlight , and he was showing me one of the 2 stream light Scrions he carries , i like how you can momentarily turn on the light with a push and to turn it on to stay on it takes a very full click something you unlikely to do accidentally, then half pushes to change functions , or hold half push for a few seconds and it drops to med and low

after his shift was over we tested lights into a dark field in direct comparison to my 3d cell mag light LED the scrion beam is nearly as bright , but smaller so while it has technically more lumen s the mag light beam concentration was better the scrion was a very nice torch , and was well featured and obviously works well for day to day police work for a officer that works nights and is much smaller and lighter than the much larger mag light

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-06-2012, 10:30 AM
grey wolf , the run time alone makes the 2 or 3d cell Mag lite LED worth it for around the house work or for the truck hours and hours of run time

thanks for the warning on the batteries and their issues of fire

gray wolf
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
grey wolf , the run time alone makes the 2 or 3d cell Mag lite LED worth it for around the house work or for the truck hours and hours of run time
Yes you are quite correct, And if you re-read my posts I clearly said and stated that.
We have a 2 D mag lights for use around the camp, Julie has a fantastic head lamp
she uses quite often, fact is she loves it.
Most of my comments have been about lights for every day carry (EDC)
You can't very well carry a 3 D torch in your shirt pocket.
So by all means if you need a light as a work light, get what every you like.
Matter of fact have at it, the 5 D mag lights are even better than your 3 D light,
But you may say " OH no, that's way to big and heavy "
Well that's what I am saying, get what you need and what suites you.

popper
08-06-2012, 11:09 AM
All lithium rechargeables are supposed to have a thermal fuse internal to prevent fires. Cree isn't the only maker of LEDs, Lumilux, Philips and others. Most cheap flashlights use culls from the production line (dumpster divers get them). Most of the lights we get from China are branded white label goods. Light output is measured in lumens @ half angle, i.e. total light collected in a diameter related to angle where intensity is 1/2 peak. The numbers are fudged a LOT, comparison is best made by evaluating for your own use - don't believe the manuf's. numbers. Personally I don't use rechargeable batteries for emergency equipment. Charged shelf life is POOR, self discharge rate is high, voltage is flat until they are useless - hard to check state of charge with a meter.

gray wolf
08-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Sorry your info is a little off, There are many rechargeable batteries that are
very low self discharge. The Sanyo eneloops low self discharge for one. They maintain an excellent charge for a year. I have had them stored for long periods of time and they work. Unlike regular Nim. batteries they can be used right out of the box, no charge needed before you use them. However I understand the different view points on emergency use equipment and using non rechargeable for your primary batteries is well understood. I am not trying to do or partake in a ( mine is better than yours discussion )
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-rechargeable-batteries-id-buy/
http://www.eneloop.info/home/why-eneloop/low-self-discharge.html
http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html
Also not all Lithium batteries have the safety thermal chip you speak of.
( protected cells )
Many of the cheap ones do not. If they did there would not be so many accidents with them.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=32
Li-Ion Batteries may explode if charged or discharged improperly.
You must possess knowledge of electronic and understand hot to handle Li-ion battery.
We reserve the right not to sell and void the warranty it you don't meet the above statement.
You must use a protection IC (PCB) to keep battery from overcharged and over-discharged
Never solder directly onto the Li-ion battery as overheat might cause battery to explode. If you are making a pack or need to solder batteries together, you need to get battery with tabs on it. You will solder to tabs instead directly onto the battery.
Please read more safety warning about Li-ion battery (click to link)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded

http://www.lighthound.com/Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery-Information--Protected-vs-Unprotected-Li-Ion-Batteries--Lithium-Ion-Battery_ep_36-1.html

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/12064

http://www.bcae1.com/flashlight/flashlight01.htm

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Grey wolf , I wasn't contradicting , I was affirming the usefulness of the larger heavier light , I would not have started this thread if i wasn't looking for a smaller daily carry light

I am thinking that I will most likely go with a light that takes 1 or 2 AA as i already have good Ni-MH an charger . as well as the availability of AA batteries

I have found a site goingear.com that the owner does very good useful explanations of the user interface as well as nice video comparisons

so far i am leaning 2 AA
momentary on is a must - not sure i even understand why they would bother to make a light in this class that didn't do momentary on
low power seems useful

strobe and sos I don't see the need , for me but as long as they aren't going to get in the way

i really don't need a tiny light to reach out to 150 yards or farther , for my purposes the ability to identify who a person is at 35-40 yards will be just fine , especially if in a 20 foot room it lights up the periphery while providing a good hot spot in the center

now it is a matter of learning what all the user interfaces do and get one as close to what i want as possible.

220swiftfn
08-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Yes you are quite correct, And if you re-read my posts I clearly said and stated that.
We have a 2 D mag lights for use around the camp, Julie has a fantastic head lamp
she uses quite often, fact is she loves it.
Most of my comments have been about lights for every day carry (EDC)
You can't very well carry a 3 D torch in your shirt pocket.
So by all means if you need a light as a work light, get what every you like.
Matter of fact have at it, the 5 D mag lights are even better than your 3 D light,
But you may say " OH no, that's way to big and heavy "
Well that's what I am saying, get what you need and what suites you.

But the 5-D really comes in handy when your kid's pee-wee coach forgets the baseball bat..........:bigsmyl2:

Dan

220swiftfn
08-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Just to throw another consideration in there..... Malkoff makes some pretty bulletproof emitters for surefire style lights and Maglights. IIRC, the run time on the 3-D Maglight is something like 6 hrs for a 1000 ft spotter...... (but what sounds like what you're looking for would be the M61L 5hr full beam that'll reach 200 ft on 2 cr123's) Not bad for a 6p (or similar).

Dan

gray wolf
08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Grey wolf , I wasn't contradicting ,No problem I was affirming the usefulness of the larger heavier light , I would not have started this thread if i wasn't looking for a smaller daily carry light
IMHO what your doing is the correct thing and the right way to go about filling your needs. However as we find with many threads, the opinions are and can be many,
I am thinking that I will most likely go with a light that takes 1 or 2 AA as i already have good Ni-MH an charger . as well as the availability of AA batteries. That's a good start, now if you find a light that fills your needs and runs on AA your good to go.
I have found a site goingear.com that the owner does very good useful explanations of the user interface as well as nice video comparisons.
Getting educated about what we need is never a bad thing and only helps in making the correct decision.
so far i am leaning 2 AA I am sure you will find your needs can be met just fine with a AA platform, If I had small children just the safety factor would sway me to AA. Kids seem to love flash lights.
momentary on is a must - not sure i even understand why they would bother to make a light in this class that didn't do momentary on
low power seems useful. Many light are made with more features than are really necessary, yes they can be nice, but some of the features can be done without. Again fill your needs. A light with a rear mounted clicky on off can be operated just as fast as a momentary on off. For me I think of it like this. If I wanted a light for E D C and I wanted it to work every time I hit the switch, as in to save my life,
I would choose ON/OFF and that's it. Why ? cause in a life and death situation I don't want to fuss with buttons, switches, and have to think about what mode my torch is in, I NEED it to work NOW. But then again it's back to my needs.
strobe and sos I don't see the need ,You have narrowed down your needs already, IMHO that's goodfor me but as long as they aren't going to get in the way Again according to your needs, they may get in the way.
i really don't need a tiny light to reach out to 150 yards or farther , for my purposes the ability to identify who a person is at 35-40 yards will be just fine , You may find what you need and like and also find it has a nice long throw, if so ? so what, you will have it if you need it and it wont hurt being there.especially if in a 20 foot room it lights up the periphery while providing a good hot spot in the center
20' room, now that's something many folks don't give enough consideration to, My whole house (camp) is 26 feet long and 15 feet wide, yes we live in A very small place. But my area and perimeter outside is very big, woods and flats. If you are wakened from a sleep in a dark room and hit the switch on a 250 lumen light it can momentarily
destroy your night vision, A 80 or 125 lumen light might be better for that need, but if your house hold need is like mine, you may need both.
My AA light uses high, Med. and low. I keep it it in the Med. mode at night and it's fine for target I D , plenty of light if the power goes out,
longer run time, with low as an option if I need hours and hours of survival light.
If my needs take me out side,
I can go to high in a 1/2 Sec.
In all modes the beam is tite with good spill. My light fills my needs.
now it is a matter of learning what all the user interfaces do and get one as close to what i want as possible. As you can see the thought proses is important, Choosing the right light, can,
Save you some money, save you from being disappointed, Save you from having to get multiple lights, and it may save your life.
It's difficult for me to try and cover it all, (no light expert here) but if it helps with the thinking proses then I have done a little good, if not? well hey it didn't cost you anything.
A couple of other things, Many light are powered with the smaller 123 lithium Bat. They are IMHO nice lights, but if used often they can be costly to run, and yes I know you can get cheep batteries on E-bay. 2 to 250 lumen is a lot of light, and can be had in a small AA package, The Sanyo eneloop 2000 Ma. or there 2500 Ma. AA batteries are great. They hold a charge on the shelf for a long, long, time. they are very low self discharg, unlike other Nim batteries. They are some of the best.
I don't want to keep plugging my little dereelight Javelin but another thing I like about it is--It can go to a 1AA config. in a minute, becomes very small, with not much light loss, and will fit in one of Julie's very small hand bags if needed. Can also be Config. for 3 AA in a Min. with more power, 300 lumen if needed for very long throw outside.
As with any rechargeable light system, a good charger is a must. I shy away from AA chargers that do not charge multiple batteries on a single battery basis. with that I mean the charger should see each battery as a single unit. that way each battery is charged to it's individual potential and not just averaged out, if it is, the light you use will only be as good as the weakest battery being used.
GREENCOUNTYPETE is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-07-2012, 10:30 PM
thanks

Beerd
08-08-2012, 09:47 AM
As usual, lots of good info & opinions here, thanks.

............ Kids seem to love flash lights.........

By the length of this thread it's not just the young kids :bigsmyl2:

MT Gianni
08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
My wife has worked @ a State owned Cavern for the last four years. Wiljens lights have beat anything that the guides have come up with for cost, battery longevity, distance, precieved brightness and portability.

firefly1957
08-09-2012, 12:56 AM
gray wolf Everything you say points to the $21 Coleman 115 lumen light it take three Triple "A" batteries and will run a for hours on them. It is rated to see 85 yards at night and I see a bit better reflecting about 100 yds of lightly colored objects and at that cost you can buy a box of them for the price of a sure fire! ( well maybe 5 or 6)

Any Cal.
08-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I have spent waaaaay too much time and money learning about and buying lights, here is what I think of as principles to consider.

1. Decide how big the light can be. There will be different requirements for it going on your keychain, in the watch pocket of your jeans, front pocket, or sitting in the console of your truck.

2. Buy the best light you can in the size range you are looking for. The better the light is, the less batteries will cost, as they will last considerably longer. Also, you will get more light output for the same or less amount of battery.

3. Don't buy anything at a brick and mortar store, you will pay too much. Order a light from Fenix, 4 Sevens, or buy Surefire and Streamlight from an online retailer, and you will get much more for your money. I have a Fenix light that is 3 years old or more, has been discontinued over a year ago, and is still miles ahead of anything available in a store.

4. Don't buy a light on lumens or run-time. Many of the manufacturers inflate them one way or another. If you are buying a good light, you are getting as much as possible from the battery and LED combo.

5. Don't spend less than $35 on a light, and don't spend so much that you will cry if you lose it. I have had lights for years, and have had the brush snag a $50 light from my pocket. Eventually your needs will change, you will lose the light, or you will want a newer, better one, so keep that in mind when you look at $100+ lights.

6. Strongly consider a headlight, and if you do, buy a Princeton Tec EOS. Waterproof, lightweight, efficient, Lithium and rechargeable battery compatible. You would be hard put to buy something better, and it would be easy to accidentally buy something worse.

-Edit- Not trying to single out any posters here, but if the light takes 3 batteries of any size, there is a 95% chance it is 1/2 junk. That is done as a cost saving measure, and only rarely will a quality manufacturer do that. If the light costs less than $35, don't buy one that requires 3 batts. The EOS mentioned above uses 3, but is a good lamp from a high quality manufacturer. Many of the Coast and Coleman lights you find in the brick and mortar stores use this setup, which is part of why you don't buy from the brick and mortar stores...

gray wolf
08-09-2012, 07:21 PM
4. Don't buy a light on lumens or run-time. Many of the manufacturers inflate them one way or another. If you are buying a good light, you are getting as much as possible from the battery and LED combo.
Run times on a decent light will hold pretty close to advertized, Lumen out put can be fudged, inquire about lumen s out the front, NOT at the emitter.

2. Buy the best light you can in the size range you are looking for. The better the light is, the less batteries will cost, as they will last considerably longer. Also, you will get more light output for the same or less amount of battery.
The most common lights run on C R 123 batteries, High lumen out put lights
on average give an hour give or take a little, burn on high
( average, yes some go longer ) an hour is an hour is an hour.
Lumen is lumen, there are lights with better quality L E D and better components in the pill ( part up front that the L E D is encased in )

-Edit- Not trying to single out any posters here, but if the light takes 3 batteries of any size, there is a 95% chance it is 1/2 junk. That is done as a cost saving measure, and only rarely will a quality manufacturer do that. If the light costs less than $35, don't buy one that requires 3 batts. The EOS
a light that uses 3 batteries is pushing the L E D to 4.5 volts in stead of 3 volts.
sometimes This is done to increase the light out put, can also be done to give longer run time, can be an OK trade off if done correctly, does not always mean junk.
My light can be used with 1,2 or 3 AA up to me how I want to configure it,
I assure you my light is not junk, and out shines many other lights.

Any Cal.
08-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Run times on a decent light will hold pretty close to advertized, Lumen out put can be fudged, inquire about lumen s out the front, NOT at the emitter. Yes, you could try and track those #s down, or just not buy a light based solely on advertised lumens or runtimes, since they are often inflated or misrepresented like I said. Many other aspects are much more important, like the first 3 things I mentioned.

The most common lights run on C R 123 batteries, High lumen out put lights
on average give an hour give or take a little, burn on high
( average, yes some go longer ) an hour is an hour is an hour.
Lumen is lumen, there are lights with better quality L E D and better components in the pill ( part up front that the L E D is encased in ) Yes, there are better quality LED lights, that is why I suggested buying the best you can...

a light that uses 3 batteries is pushing the L E D to 4.5 volts in stead of 3 volts.
sometimes This is done to increase the light out put, can also be done to give longer run time, can be an OK trade off if done correctly, does not always mean junk.
My light can be used with 1,2 or 3 AA up to me how I want to configure it,
I assure you my light is not junk, and out shines many other lights.I understand the subtle nuances of what and why, and yes, you may have one of the 5% lights. It also doesn't REQUIRE 3 batts, and was probably more than $35, so still doesn't change what I said.

:sad::takinWiz: That list was made to help simplify things for someone looking to get into better lights. It doesn't need to be disected, it is fine as is. Yes, I could have delved into PWM speed, color temp and CRI, electronics and LED efficiency, and multiple battery support, but that probably wouldn't have been much help to 99% of the people reading this, would it...?

Beerd
08-10-2012, 02:03 PM
So I'm looking at lights.
Why do I want or need a "strobe" function on the switch?

Any Cal.
08-10-2012, 03:36 PM
You don't, really, but everybody insists on putting them in there. The good news is that it isn't bad to have them as long as they don't get in the way. It can be useful for getting someone's attention, set near an accident on the road, hang on to when walking next to a busy road, etc. Some models set it up as a tactical thing, but I don't see that being particularly useful for most. Some of the better lights are set up so that you don't have to click past the strobe every time you turn the light on, but it is still available to use if you want it, which seems to work OK. Also good for flashing at animals, relatives, and just being generally obnoxious:-) .