PDA

View Full Version : LC 71 ball carbine ammo?

Billairgun
05-07-2007, 04:53 AM
I shot at a match on sunday and bought 400rds of carbine ammo from them for $48.00. What should I expect as far as quality from it (FTF, accuracy), and would the primers be crimped? I'm hoping to get my carbine from the CMP this month so these will at least be some good brass for it.

Lloyd Smale
05-07-2007, 05:29 AM
i shot many thousands of rounds of the old lake city ball back in my youth and my carbines would shoot it into one hole at 50 yards. Like any other guns though every one has a ammo prefernce.

trooperdan
05-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Bill, were you at the CMP Eastern Games and Wind Tunnel shoot? I was there as well, I hand-picked a carbine and got a case of the Greek '06 ammo but I didn't know the carbine ammo was that cheap! That is at least half price!

kywoodwrkr
05-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Bill,
How was the ammunition packaged?
I don't remember the dates but there was some berdan primed ammo which came from China some years back.
Do you have an empty case?
If that is USGI you got a good deal.
Hopefully it is and the price is an indication of things to come!
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Billairgun
05-07-2007, 10:34 AM
I was at a local 80rd NRA match and they let me buy it for 12 cents a round. I was told it was CMP club purchas, still in the brown 50ct Lake City boxes(lot 50-206). I might have to see what they charge for it at another local carbine match(can only buy one box there).

Lloyd Smale
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
used to get that stuff for 50 cents a box from a guy who worked at the armory on the local air force base when it was open. Even as a kid it was as cheap as buying 22 shells. Put many many boxes through the old carbines.

garandsrus
05-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Billairgun,

I think that most folks would be happy if their carbine shot 3-4" groups at 50 yds. It's not exactly a match rifle...

The ammo you got should be fine and you got a great deal. There is a very good article on the CMP web site about what to expect from a Carbine. Here is the link (http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/CMP_Carbine_Notes_2007.pdf).

Now you need a .30 Carbine mold so you can refill the brass! We had a group buy for a mold that hasn't come in yet. I ordered a couple extras so let me know if you want one.

Have fun!
John