PDA

View Full Version : what do i do with lead shot ............

mike in co
05-07-2007, 12:40 AM
i got about 40 lbs of new lawrence lead shot......and no big plans for loading shotgun shells.

i currently use ww water dropped for most applications.....

what shall i do with the shot......mix it ??? if so how much does what.....

22, 30 8mm 35 rifle and 44 mag........
thanks
mike

( ohh and since we are going to "mine" the shot gun range...i may have access to more used shot)

Duckiller
05-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Mike most shot bags listed the amount of antimony in the shot. Never was sure how accurate the percentage was. I would use the shot to make sure I had the desired amount of antimony in the melt. Goes in real easy and the coating burns off fast. I always assumed that 5% Antimony meant somewhere between 4.5% -5.5%, probably closer to 4.5%. No data to support this, just an old skeptic.

Lee
05-07-2007, 01:02 AM
That stuff is poisonous! You need to ship that stuff to me as fast as fast can be! I'll pay shipping, and will dispose of the hazardous material properly!

Seriously, why not swap, or sell, or benefit site auction it off? I know lots of folks would cry themselves to sleep hearing that someone went and melted up some perfectly good lead shot...........................Lee;-)

Scrounger
05-07-2007, 01:34 AM
i got about 40 lbs of new lawrence lead shot......and no big plans for loading shotgun shells.

i currently use ww water dropped for most applications.....

what shall i do with the shot......mix it ??? if so how much does what.....

22, 30 8mm 35 rifle and 44 mag........
thanks
mike

( ohh and since we are going to "mine" the shot gun range...i may have access to more used shot)

Mike, If you end up with some reclaimed shot at a decent price, you can trade it to me for whatever I have that you want next time you roll through here.

Larry Gibson
05-07-2007, 09:50 AM
If it has 3-5% antimony then it is very good alloy as is for hunting bullets. No tin or other alloys need to be added. Water quench the bullets from the mould and they will be hard enough to withstand hunting loads in the 1800-2100 fps range. The bullet will give very good expansion, especially if the bullet has a decent meplat, without shattering or sloughing.

Larry Gibson

Trapshooter
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Mike,

If you know any target shooters (trap or skeet), and the shot is 7 1/2, 8, or 9, I would try to sell the stuff. Around here, store prices are around $30 to $35 a bag. That would buy quite a pile of wheelweights or a couple pounds of powder!

Trapshooter

leftiye
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Magnum lead shot used in boolits (1/2 % tin, 5% antimony, 94 1/2% lead) will heat treat to BHN 42! Is great to mix with other metals as it contains Arsenic which really helps the hardening process.