PDA

View Full Version : Many Thanks to Urny

twotrees
05-06-2007, 08:39 PM
[smilie=w: Urny,

Finaly got to try out those great looking 335 gr Lyman bullets you sent us. 4.3 gr of un-specified powder under 40 gr of 3F black in new 38-55 cases. I had sighted the rifle with 248 gr commerical bullets and 3031 powder before this.

3 rounds at the sighter range and I called it good to go. (I changed out the front appiture for a shorter one and ended up 2.5 inches high at that range.) Rifle H&R Target Classic.

After a Varmint shooting match with 30 folks and Hi-Vel rifles, I drug out the BP guns for a demo. We set an 8 inch gong at 100 yards and shot it with your bullets. About 10-12 folks asked to try and quite a few managed to hit it !![smilie=1:

Looks like we have some converts to cast booits and black powder as about 1/2 of them couldn't get over the fact these slow lead booits actualy hit something.:castmine:

They also tried out my Uberti 45-70 and most were more interested in the 38-55. (Don't kick at all with that load)

So YES the H&R 38-55 with 1 in 15 twist will stablize that 335 gr Lyman boolit and I am going to order a mold real soon. The bullets you sent were lube sized .379 in a 450 sizer I have setup for SPG lube .

All in all your great casting helped win over some guys that thought 3500 FPS or more was the only way to kill something.

They also have found a respect for doing it all themselves instead of running to Remingchester to buy their bullets.:castmine:

If you can't tell that RedFoxy (The wife and owner/shooter of the H&R) and I are happy, I just don't know what to say. :bigsmyl2:

The shoot was for the Varmint Hunters SE Reigonal in Millen Ga. BTW Red placed 2nd in her relay (first santioned match) with her 223 and (Yuck) bullets.

Thanks Urny I now have a direction for this rifle.

TwoTrees (and RedFoxy)

Urny
05-07-2007, 11:22 PM
You are very welcome. I'm glad it worked out so well for you and RedFoxy. Also, best wishes to her, hope she is doing great.

Best, Ernie

little pete
09-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Hello Ernie

Excuse me for butting in but I was wondering about the 335 bullet for the 38-55. I have a Win 38-55 with a 1 to 18 twist in it. Its an old timer (1908) with a new liner and I was curious to know if you think that bullet would work in the old dear. Also any idea of how much powder? Thanks

little pete

Bullshop
09-26-2007, 01:49 AM
Hello Ernie

Excuse me for butting in but I was wondering about the 335 bullet for the 38-55. I have a Win 38-55 with a 1 to 18 twist in it. Its an old timer (1908) with a new liner and I was curious to know if you think that bullet would work in the old dear. Also any idea of how much powder? Thanks

little pete
little pete
The 1/18"aint gona do it with the 335gn boolit. My guess is about a 1/14" minimum.
BIC/BS

twotrees
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
My wife's 38-55 is an H&R Target Classic. Yes it has 1-18 twist and Urny's boolits shot great in it, with a duplex load of 4.7 gr of priming white powder and 40 gr of 3F black.

It is a very pointed boolit and could be only single loaded in a tube mag "IF" it would even cycle through the action (I really doubt it).

this was a load suggested by an 80+ year old fellow that is making me a Pa Long rifle. He shot this load in compatition for years.

TwoTrees

Bullshop
09-26-2007, 04:47 PM
twotrees
You said in your first post that the H&R target clasic shot the 330gn Lyman well and it has a 1/15" twist. In your next post you say it has a 1/18" twist and shoots the Lyman 330 well. This has confused me a bit. Do you have two of the H&R target clasic rifles with differant twist?
My feeling is that a 1/15" may work with that boolit for fairely short range but at long range it will become unstable and inaccurate. On the 1/18" I wouldnt have much hope for anything at all with that boolit. If your doing it you must have some kind of magic, I couldnt.
There is a possability I may be wrong but I dont think so. I thought I was wrong once before but I was incorrect.
BIC/BS

twotrees
09-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I got the 1 in 18 from his post and from the H&R forum on GBO. I measured mine when I got the boolits from Urny and just 2 min ago. The best I can do is 1 turn in 15 1/8 (Avg of 5 tries) New brass brush and my SS 30 cal range rod.

Sorry to confuse you, but the range we shot at Millen Ga at a Registered Varmint shoot was 135 yards and the target was an 8" gong. It shoots well enough that off a bench I was on it, 5 out of 5 and 1 out of 1 standing, off hand.

I did shoot it out to 200 yards, but because the Williams sight, that came with the rifle, doesn't have enough elevation, to set it for that range, all I can say is they all impacted the ground in a tea cup sized area in front of the target.

I intend to use the 8.5 to 25 target scope to refine my loads then install a false tang and long range tang site.

When I have that done, I'll report back on the stability at longer ranges, untill then it's all guess work.

Sorry for the confusion.

TwoTrees

onceabull
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Dan: I traced this subject to Urny's post (on a different thread) dated 4/2/07 where he talks about good results with this boolit in the H&R targetsman. there is no mention of extreme results though..I"ve only slugged one of my three 38/55 Targetsman barrels,and got 1/18..we need to hear from Urny... Onceabull

Urny
09-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Late to the party, as usual. I've been shooting this boolit in my Wesson and Harrington Target Model for a long time now, and have not had stability problems at the 100 yard range where most of my shooting is done. Powders used have been Red Dot, 4759, 3031, 8700 with a Red Dot 2.0 grain booster, and FFg with the same booster. Right now I can not remember any other powders tried, and the records are not to hand. The twist in this early Green Mountain made barrel remains unmeasured, but bore and groove are .374 and .3775, as near as my poor skills can manage. Boolits have been cast of WW's, same sweetened with a little monotype, and some old catch as catch can alloy I don't remember much about, except that it is almost gone. This boolit shoots as well as any plain base boolit I have tried, though in truth, none do as well as RCBS gas check boolits from Oopsboom's mould, cast of straight wheel weights. Various lube recipe's have been tried, but none has been outstandingly better than others. Good old 50/50 will probably be most used, except with black powder. I want to try some of that citrus based BP substitute, can't remember the name just now, though Pyrodex has not been a success so far. Pyrodex was used with the Mountain Moulds 280 grain PB. I'll shut up now.