PDA

View Full Version : Wood chip size for fluxing?

DonMountain
07-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I am going to try using wood chips/sawdust for fluxing during my casting sessions and melting down wheel weights. I have been doing a lot of wood working in the restoration and rebuilding and cabinet work in our 1905 vintage farm house and wonder what size of wood chips or sawdust work out best for fluxing the rendering of wheel weights and boolit casting operations. Off the router table I get some pretty fine sawdust and off the table saw I get some more course saw dust and off the jointer I get some really course/chips of wood. So I have a choice of sizes available. So, what works out best? :cbpour:

Jack Stanley
07-29-2012, 03:53 PM
My current supply of pine is from an encounter with a chainsaw . As course as they are they work pretty well .

Jack

David Bachelder
07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
I use sawdust from my table saw. I suppose it really doesn't matter though. Sawdust is sawdust and burnt sawdust is carbon. Maybe the chain saw dust would be slower yet do the same job.

Hardcast416taylor
07-29-2012, 05:45 PM
I have 2 pails of dry chainsaw chips from trees cut down 2 years back. Being the experimenter that I think I am I tried a twist on the chips. I came across a small food processor at a garage sale for $5. I toss a handful of chips in and surge it for 5 or 6 spurts. I wind up with sawdust to much smaller chips for fluxing.Robert

Mk42gunner
07-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Don,

I'm no expert on fluxing with sawdust; but I think the jointer chips will be a little large, unless you are smelting with them.

I have about half a bag of wood pellets that got wet and crumbled into sawdust that I have been using when casting. The fine sawdust works well. Just make sure it is dry before stirring it into the melt.

Robert

largom
07-29-2012, 07:04 PM
All should work well. The larger chips may take longer to fully carbonize but that would be a good thing IMO. Stir the alloy good with a wooden stick while the chips/sawdust do their job.

Larry

DonMountain
07-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks alot everybody. I will hook up the shop vac to the router table then and collect the smaller wood chips/sawdust to use on my boolits. And turn a nice rod in the lathe to use for a stirring rod for the melt. What types of wood produce the best sawdust? I am doing mostly oak now but I could imagine that the center of pine may have more oils in it if that would help? :CastBoolitsisbest:

Elkins45
07-29-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm using pet bedding shavings. They are fairly coarse and they seem to work just fine.

Jack Stanley
07-29-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm betting that pine would be way better than cherry or treated wood .

Jack

Shiloh
07-29-2012, 10:10 PM
They all smoke, but jointer chips work good. Had a garbage bag full a while back.

Shiloh

largom
07-30-2012, 08:42 AM
IMO pine is the better because of the resin, but they all work.

Larry

captaint
07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
I would go with (and have gone with) the saw blade chips and the jointer chips. Either one should be great. Not so much the plywood sawdust, due to the glue. enjoy Mike

H.Callahan
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm using pet bedding shavings. They are fairly coarse and they seem to work just fine.
+1 ~$2 for bag at Wally World. Lasts quite a while.

crappie-hunter
07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
I set my jointer at somewhere between 1/16 and 1/32 and take a 3/4 cedar board and chip away works good for me and smells good too.

rintinglen
07-30-2012, 06:52 PM
:grin:
I set my jointer at somewhere between 1/16 and 1/32 and take a 3/4 cedar board and chip away works good for me and smells good too.

I admit I reload in large part because of the sense of control it gives me, but this is boldly going where no man has gone before. Deliberately making one's own sawdust--I confess, you have out done me.

doctorggg
07-30-2012, 07:18 PM
This newbie has been using pine bedding from Wally World as well. Seems to work well.

just.don
07-30-2012, 08:06 PM
I guess I make mine too!

Thin pine shavings from the sawmill down the road and cedar shavings from the pet store, by the bale. Using a coffee mill I grind them down to what ever size I want. Best thing about the coffee mill is that while in there you can add what you want, if you want.
In some respects, it could be as much fun as say, alloying, or looking for that
"MagicLube©".
MagicFlux©, works for any alloy, at any temp, stirs for you. Keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter, tools shine like new, no smoke, wife loves the bouquet so much she invites you to do it in the kitchen!
Think about it guys......

Hang Fire
07-30-2012, 09:03 PM
I have heard some casters just use a wood dowel and stir the melt, they claimed it works good as chips.

MikeS
07-31-2012, 03:26 AM
If I had the variety of sawdust sizes that you do, I would either try each one separately to see which works best for me, or I would just mix them together and use that as my flux. I had bought a bag of pine hamster bedding, and later bought a box if CFF from PatMarlin (forum member here that sells flux). At first I was using each separately, then I mixed them both together and find they work fine either way.

Wayne Smith
07-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Oh Boy, variety! I use sawdust from under the table saw, curls from the hand plane, and when I trim a piece of wood and have a thin strip I use that for stirring. Right now a strip of 4/4 American Persimmon about 1/16" thick is my stirring stick.

When I turn green wood on the lathe those strips are dried before they are used!

Since I ladle pour I also use wax when I just need to reduce the oxidation.

10 ga
07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
I have used chips from dust to pet bedding size. Of course the finer the quicker it carbonizes. I really prefer the coarser sawdust and pet bedding size chips as I am a ladle guy and like a "bed" of ash on top that I can manipulate to cover all but where I'm ladeling out. Best, 10 ga

rexherring
07-31-2012, 12:45 PM
I've been using sawdust for my smoker that I bought from a meat processor. It's a mix of hickory with other hardwoods. Works great and smells good. Kinda makes me hungry for sausage.

Walter Laich
07-31-2012, 04:35 PM
I cut a pine tree that grew on the south side of a mountain, 5,000 ft above sea level. Used a plane made in 1905 and set if for .005 thickness.

Checked the thickness of each sliver with a mic and discarded any that were over +-.0002 of .005.

cut to length 1/2 in using a knife made from a file that Jim Bowie once owned

Stored them in a bag that was once used by Abe Lincoln.

use 15.3927 grains of this sawdust each time I flux.

;)

rexherring
07-31-2012, 05:03 PM
I cut a pine tree that grew on the south side of a mountain, 5,000 ft above sea level. Used a plane made in 1905 and set if for .005 thickness.

Checked the thickness of each sliver with a mic and discarded any that were over +-.0002 of .005.

;)

:smile:;):groner::D:guntootsmiley:

bleukahuna
07-31-2012, 05:44 PM
I worked in a large woodworking shop for 30 years. The dust collection systems segragated the hardwoods, softwoods and engineered woods(plywood, paricle board, etc.
We also separated the dust from the chips for secondary markets.
Employees were allowed to take dust or chips for personal use, I used to mix chips and parrafin to make make fire starters.
So, now that I'm out of there and have time for casting, sawdust has become THE go to flux. I've been reduced to trimming southern yellow pine on my miter saw just to get the sawdust.

10 ga
07-31-2012, 06:08 PM

;)
Geez, you were ahead of the Wright Brothers with that plane. Never seen one used for setting thickness, altitude but not thickness. And how do you check thickness with a "mic". You must have that "Marlboro voice" that is so "thick". And that Jim Bowie file, is that the one he used to get the nicks out of his own knife? And that bag, is that the one Ole Abe (first *** president) put the constitution in before he destroyed that too? So many questions and so few answers? 10 ga

shotman
07-31-2012, 06:53 PM
DONT use treated wood chips. all should know, but just if you dont
Yellow pine is the best I have found

ipijohn
07-31-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm kind of fond of sawdust from my radial saw. It carbonizes fast and doesn't make smoke for a long time.

Balkandom
08-26-2012, 05:56 PM
How does wax reduce the oxidation?

Jeffrey
08-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Oxidation / reduction reaction. When the fuel (wood or wax) burns on / in the molten metal it pulls oxygen from wherever it can, the atmosphere and the oxidized metal. Thus the oxidized metal is "reduced" back to its metallic form.

Hardcast416taylor
08-27-2012, 01:58 PM

;)

Yessir, this just goes to show that EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas! Kinda glad I had my work boots on when I read this.Robert

tonyjones
08-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Work boots? I live in Texas and when we start telling stories I go and put my chest waders on. It definitely helps to have the correct equipment/protective gear.

Tony