PDA

View Full Version : Sidelined from casting

DLCTEX
07-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Problems with my knee have plagued me since High School football. but have been overcome with rest and care until the past few months. I have been unable to stand or sit for more than a few minutes at a time and have had to put casting on hold. I had surgery Wednesday and the Dr. said the torn cartilage was much worse than he anticipated but he thinks I will be much better soon. I am looking forward to getting back at it at work and play. Thank God for Arthroscopic surgery.

Echo
07-29-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm going in for a new knee Aug 13 - bone on bone - had a cortisone shot that didn't do any good at all. Cortisone nourishes the tissue - and there ain't no tissue there! I think the torn cartilage is worse, but Doc knows best.
Good luck, Mate.

41 mag fan
07-29-2012, 01:59 PM
I know what you're going thru DLCTEX.

Had knee surgery last Nov 10th. 8mo later I'm still trying to recover. I live on 3 different shots every 3 months now, my cartilage was torn similar to yours.
Unfortunatley it'll be like this till I find a different job where i'm not pounding miles daily on my knee on uneven rocky gound.

Best of luck with your surgery.

SciFiJim
07-29-2012, 02:13 PM
DLCTEX, it might be a bit late for your circumstance, but for others, if facing time on crutches from knee or hip surgery, cast up a large stockpile and use the down time for reloading.

It will keep you from going stir crazy. I have had to do the crutch routine twice for six weeks at a time and just about went nuts.

mold maker
07-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I know what you're going thru DLCTEX.

Had knee surgery last Nov 10th. 8mo later I'm still trying to recover. I live on 3 different shots every 3 months now, my cartilage was torn similar to yours.
Unfortunatley it'll be like this till I find a different job where i'm not pounding miles daily on my knee on uneven rocky gound.

Best of luck with your surgery.

44 fan, you have the rest of your life on those knees. Get off that job.
The abuse you've already endured, is nothing compared to, what more abuse will bring.
Take it from an old f--t, it aint worth it.

41 mag fan
07-29-2012, 02:58 PM
44 fan, you have the rest of your life on those knees. Get off that job.
The abuse you've already endured, is nothing compared to, what more abuse will bring.
Take it from an old f--t, it aint worth it.

I hear you my friend.
In 6 yrs of doing underground work, I've had a messed up knee, and a blown disk in my back, thats still not fixed, had a rock come down on my left knee that messed it up for a few weeks, and have had a few rocks come out of the top thats knocked me face first into the dirt. And several other near misses, including one yesterday evening that was 6'L X 10'W X 1' thick. I was preshifting a unit after doing an air change, and was making an entry for a gas check when it came down, about 2' from me.
Now my left heel is black and blue, kind of comical watching me walk actually, bummed right knee and left foot problems.

On a normal day i preshift about 5-7 mi in a 1 1/2 hr period. But thats walking on uneven ground and walking over rocks, waterlines, holes ect ect.

On Tuesday and Wednesdays i'll do our weekly, takes about 4 hrs of walking our old works on my route, then turn right around and preshift our belts. By the time it's said and done on those days i've walked close to 6 hours.

My father says it best....coal mines are for young people, at 43 I'm not getting any younger and you don't see many people in their 50's in the mines.

But it's hard to give up the money I make, Wife wants me to get out, and I myself would in a heart beat if I could come up with something that pays close to what I make.

leadman
07-29-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm 60, retired at 55 but don't think I could work now if I had too. I was a heavy equipment mechanic for many years. Started at Cummins when I was still 17 fresh out of high school.

Sounds like you are going to be like me if you keep on that job, if a rock don't get you first.

Time to think about what retirement will be like for you. Mine could be better but I wish I could do more.

Stay safe.