PDA

View Full Version : Needs a US buddy

barrabruce
07-29-2012, 03:58 AM
Any-one help me out??
I need a usa buddy

My H&R hammer spring broke today while sighting in my rifle.

I'm supposed to take off in a few weeks for a 2 mth jaunt.
At this stage I'm up the proverbial creek.

I found the parts I need at Numrich ..but due to being foreign and all that and the way things are it'd take me a long time to get things through all the hoops here in OZ.
Otherwise I'll have to take up kitting or some such while away on my big trip.

Got paypal ..will pay for expedient shipping ..and all charges.

P.m. me for details if you can help out

:(

Barra

Wal'
07-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Why would you have any trouble bringing a hammer spring in. ????

Most of my packages from the States take a week at the most.

If you have a few weeks, get your order in fast. :)

barrabruce
07-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Customs deculations about gun bits I thought.

Wal'
07-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Customs deculations about gun bits I thought.

A hammer spring wont even bother customs, get it USPS Priority http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?country=10013&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=13

or UPS even faster.

I have bought Presses, Dies, Hornady bits, Casting equipment & replacement springs etc & all soughts of odds & ends for Pistol spare's & Cartridge loading.

Unless its a actual gun frame, barrel's etc theres no custom declaration's required.

barrabruce
07-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks Wal'
Thanks for the heads up
I'll see how I go with it then Tuesday ..well Monday USA time.
Bruce

x101airborne
07-29-2012, 06:00 PM
If it is that much of an issue, I would help out. But just know, if you take that 1/4 inch spring and strangle someone with it, I am gonna have to give you up! LOL. Really, though. I would just go to the hardware store and get some wire and make one, or if it is cylindrical, cut a spring blank. It would be a lot quicker then ordering one.

geargnasher
07-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Barra, didn't it take more than two weeks for that book I sent to reach you? I thought it was international priority mail, but it sounds like you're in a pinch. Are hardware-store springs and option like x101airborne mentioned? Maybe you could compound them with a big and small one?

I'd just order one like 'Wal said and find an alternate plan in case it doesn't make it.

Gear

scb
07-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Why would you have any trouble bringing a hammer spring in. ????

Most of my packages from the States take a week at the most.

If you have a few weeks, get your order in fast. :)

I'm guessing this is the issue.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=145261&highlight=itar

barrabruce
07-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks every-one!!
Found an old spring to try what you are talking about.
May have to get a real on thou!!!

I'll read that thread in a tick thanks SCB Hmmm.

Hope I can get this picture thing to work.

Found a spring out of a aligator car clamp.

Heated it up and let it cool

Bent to shape.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=563&pictureid=5599
(initial bent shaping)
Heated and water quenched it.
Reheated to a light straw with the torch as good as I could and dunked it in some light oil.

Well it works!!

Seems a bit doughier than the original but it sets of the primers.

I truly dunno how long it will last till it looses its spring or it sprungs ..but I'll make a spare and see how it goes.

Yep I'll try an get a real one asap thou.

:redneck:
Bruce

MtGun44
07-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Excellent move. If it is too soft try to find a piece of piano wire that is .002 -.004" larger
and anneal it and wind the spring, then heat treat exactly as you did that one.

Bill

Plate plinker
07-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Rednecks are in Australia too? That's amazing.

Wal'
07-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Yes'um, weer hear as wel, tanc yuh kinly. :redneck: :castmine:

waksupi
07-30-2012, 01:31 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, I kind of think Australia invented rednecks, and it spread to the states after the world wars.

Stephen Cohen
07-30-2012, 02:19 AM
Hammer spring you should be ok to import as Wal said. A trigger or bolt you will require a Police comfimation certificate B709 I believe, can be obtained online from Police weapons and is free at this stage.

Wal'
07-30-2012, 03:35 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, I kind of think Australia invented rednecks, and it spread to the states after the world wars.

My old man bought his first camera, a Brownie Reflex from a USN seaman on shore leave during WW2 in Melbourne Australia.

Still have it. :redneck:

The other expensive passion I'm infected with. :lovebooli

Mooseman
07-30-2012, 03:57 AM
As a gunsmith I must say good job mate for making a spring .
It rates higher than a bubba job in my book !!!

Rich

michael30.06
07-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Bruce if things don't work out for you let me know. I have a handi in 500s&w arriving at the end of the week. I will get no use for a month.
I happy to pop out the hammer spring and pass it on to you.
I.m in Townsville.

gsdelong
07-30-2012, 07:14 AM
In the early 70s drove from Canberra to Cairns. Was like taking a trip back to the old west. Had a fantastic time. Spent a year in Canberra. Google earth is really cool because I can look at the places I went in those days. My wife is not thrilled because I have never found beaches to compare so I do not like to go to the beach in the US.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-30-2012, 01:20 PM

no the Cajun , creole , Acadian's , and the Scottish and Irish Appalachians had red neck down before the first world war

necessity the mother of invention , made many clever people who tried and came up with all manner of solutions to every day problems

Necessity knows no borders

Boz330
07-30-2012, 05:46 PM
In the early 70s drove from Canberra to Cairns. Was like taking a trip back to the old west. Had a fantastic time. Spent a year in Canberra. Google earth is really cool because I can look at the places I went in those days. My wife is not thrilled because I have never found beaches to compare so I do not like to go to the beach in the US.

Especially in southern Indiana.

bob

barrabruce
07-31-2012, 03:16 AM
Bruce if things don't work out for you let me know. I have a handi in 500s&w arriving at the end of the week. I will get no use for a month.
I happy to pop out the hammer spring and pass it on to you.
I.m in Townsville.

Yeah.... be great mate but I could be off for a couple of months touring.

I think y'd have the itch to shoot the new toy well before then.
But if you in hennasies or the other one can you ask about one.
Part number 21 in the diagram.

To pass on a couple of things if'n you don't know.
Easy way to break firing pin.
Let some-one else shoot it.
Unless you take your finger off the trigger the firing pin dosen't spring back into the action.Upon opening it'll will break off the end.
Cure is to use a end of a drill stub the correct diameter.

Well update on spring

Was working well.
Couldn't find piano wire in town today of any thickness.

Being smart and TESTING it out I left the hammer engaged on trigger in tension.

First hr great.

Tried again today for a few hrs.

Hey.....lovely Look at this I fixed me hammer spring.....TICK DOHHH!!!

[smilie=l:[smilie=l: Awhh well never mind I'll have to just keep trying with it.

I'll get a spring in town to unwind and try again.

[smilie=s:

Iv'e tried ordering one so see if I can get one.......Hopefully I won't get a swarm of black clad people around my place .... pouring out of a van going hup hupp hupp!

Barra

Wal'
07-31-2012, 05:12 AM
You'll be fine. [smilie=s:

barrabruce
09-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Well back from wondering around the country side aimlessly.
Springs arrived about a week after I had left.
Got home and after a five minute job put one in.
Works like its supposed too now.

Cost me only $45 bucks for 3 dicky springs. Instead of $7...never mind ..price of living here I suppose.

Thanks every-one for the support ..much appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce

P.S. I never seen anything I would want to shoot anyway on my travels ..so I suppose all in all I got all enthusiastic about nothing.
Things have changed last time I took a look at the world.
All fenced off and sanitized.
I suppose I could have paid heaps on a wilderness ecco tour and shot pigs on the "Steve Erwins" wild life sanctuary what ever it is.

Wal'
10-01-2012, 12:48 AM
$45 bucks for 3 dicky springs...............what tha, did they use a direct courier service.

barrabruce
10-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Nah... they only charge $25 having to put stuff into a postage bag addressed to overseas.
Compensation for having to acknowledge there maybe some other country out there I suppose.

God hail America.
Apart from a dicky chamber 2x broken firing pins ..plus the one one I made that actually works!!!
The hammer spring that I have now replaced plus all the honing and tuning to get this NEF wonder gun to work...well things ain't like they make out them to be.

I only bought it for a project gun ..and cos' I couldn't afford a real one.

It does shoot 3/4 moa on a good day with jacket I found out this week-end ..but it took a lot of time and work getting the barrell to a acceptable std. Fitment and reasonable trigger.

Sort of like when they hit you up for all the **** for a car service like $1-85 for filling the windscreen wiper tank and other **** they don't do.

Dunno maybe I'm just having a crappy day.

Me mold dicked up so I have to buy another one but from I know getting something that will fit this gun is unlikely out of the box.
Hell if I buy a custom one it may even be nearly close!!!!

Barra

Wal'
10-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Just take a deep breathe & think of nice things.

You'll get a winner eventually. :bigsmyl2:

:castmine: