PDA

View Full Version : Ball detent on Loadmaster

Longwood
07-28-2012, 09:21 PM
After many frustrating attempts at getting my LoadMaster to work reliably, it ended up in the corner where it spent over a year.
I decided to give it another try last week.
There was no way that I could get the turret to turn reliably.
I messed with it and messed with it. I tried repairing what was obviously the problem. I tried designing and installing a spring to force it to work. [smilie=b:
I used to own a 450 model of another brand and it worked perfectly every time.
After a bit of dis-assembly, Dremel tool machine work, JB welding, more machine work,,,, success.
I now own a Loadmaster with a steel ball detent (like a certain blue colored press), and it now works beautifully.[smilie=w:

blikseme300
07-28-2012, 11:22 PM

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Longwood
07-28-2012, 11:46 PM

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will post some photo's and a short how-to tomorrow, if enough people are interested.
It can be done fairly simply with fairly basic tools and a Dremel.

shotman
07-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Well that is a new one. Have never had THAT problem. but with all the other things that have to be fixed can see it coming . They are what they are
the center nut that holds the shell plate. has an O ring and they do dry rot

Longwood
07-29-2012, 12:54 PM
They are what they are
the center nut that holds the shell plate. has an O ring and they do dry rot

You are absolutely correct,,, They are what they are.I won't get into that,,,, it has been said a few hundred times already.
Yeah,, I know about the 'O' ring and what a ridiculous idea it is.
It can also be tossed and replaced, with a simple, yet permanent and trouble free, brass set screw.
The Loadmaster can be a decent "Cheep" press that will load plenty fast if you toss all of the poorly designed, Mickey Mouse, plastic junk.