PDA

View Full Version : IDEAL Mould 257312 Correct Top Punch number?

Silver Hand
07-28-2012, 06:43 PM
I have found information that indicates the top punch for the Ideal 257312 is Lyman Top punch # 420
Can anybody that uses this mould or is positive of that number or has another top punch number for the mould, Give me a heads up.

Thanks Silver Hand

theperfessor
07-28-2012, 10:44 PM
if you can't find an original, see my sig line below. I can help.

rockrat
07-28-2012, 11:18 PM
99% sure that is the correct number

9.3X62AL
07-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Lyman top punch #420 does fine work on #257312 and #257420 castings of mine.

Silver Hand
07-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Thank you, all.
The reason for the post was, I had located a Lyman #420 top punch. Following information available from Lyman charts that matched Lyman moulds.
I was not 100% sure Ideal was going to be the same fit.

9.3X62AL
07-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Lyman mould cavity designs can vary slightly as years go by, but "generically" they remain fairly similar. My #257312 is a one-cavity Ideal, and the 1990's-production #420 top punch works well with no distortions of its nose. The #420 t/p is just a bit too small/narrow to work well with the RCBS-85-CB, though--I use an NEI punch for that boolit.

Silver Hand
07-29-2012, 01:36 AM
if you can't find an original, see my sig line below. I can help.

Thank you for the offer.
I had this in the works pending a reply here or a contact with Lyman on Monday.
I will consider your offers in the future. You are more than fair on your prices.

Silver Hand
07-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Lyman mould cavity designs can vary slightly as years go by, but "generically" they remain fairly similar. My #257312 is a one-cavity Ideal, and the 1990's-production #420 top punch works well with no distortions of its nose. The #420 t/p is just a bit too small/narrow to work well with the RCBS-85-CB, though--I use an NEI punch for that boolit.

Very reassuring - and based on my past experience with much larger boolits I have had similar good experiences.
Setting up this slug has been challenging. To get the top lube groove filled the nose is so close to the top of the lube and sizing die, I felt a need to ask.
Thank You
Silver Hand

Silver Hand
08-04-2012, 09:10 AM
I received a Lyman 420 top punch in the mail on 08/02- 2012.
It needed lapping using valve grinding compound an electric drill and five or six cast boolits. The top punch I received was a poor fit to the mould I am casting with, ideal 257312.
I have gotten a lot closer lapping the top punch about six times under sixty seconds with a drill and boolit. I have had as much trouble with the RCBS, RN Bullet seating die. I was able to use the RCBS burring tool on the soft steel of the boolit seating plug and have not used that since to be truthful. I am disappointed that the RCBS expander plug in the Decapping and sizing die is only 256 in diameter. So for now I used a six inch bronze tapered punch to bell the cases.

It has been grate getting this over one hundred year old 25/35 in action shooting this cast Boolit. With a gas check and lubed it is just a few grains under a hundred weight, quarter bore.

My grand son no longer just shoots at targets - He spent the evening before lapping a top punch and lube sizing about forty Boolits staying up until almost mid night with me and
At my side the next day, wile loading ten grains of 2400 into twenty cases and dealing with the problems. After a brief sight in @25 yards, four rounds. He shot the last sixteen at target bull then steels, missing only twice the smallest 3''x12''x1/2'' plate @25 yards.
He was back at the lube sizer for an hour and a half after I lined him up [wearing disposable rubber gloves]. He came back into the house ready to load his first run of forty cast Boolits.
He is hooked! BOOOOOLITSsss I like the way that sounds Grand Pa, This is fun.