PDA

View Full Version : Hot off the wire

Echo
07-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Just got this from the NRA. Looks good.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2012/nra-stops-un-arms-trade-treaty.aspx

Kraschenbirn
07-28-2012, 01:56 PM
While the end product 'looks good', I see the NRA jumping in (again!) to claim credit for the efforts of others. Outside of the op-ed pieces published in the Rifleman (and the usual whining junk-mail solicitations for cash), I've yet to see any REAL pro-active efforts out of Mr. LaPierre and his overpaid cohorts while conservative political groups, such as the Tea Party and the Hertiage Foundation, began working on grass-roots letter/e-mail-writing campaigns, petition drives, and public awareness campaigns (literally!) months ago.

From what I've read so far, it looks like the draft treaty was actually killed by a few third-world dictatorships adding amendments they knew had no chance of ratification by the U.S. (or almost any other major power) so, when the wheels came off the negotiations, they could step back and point fingers while lamenting about how hard they'd tried to make the world safer.

Bill

leftiye
07-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Or by the big Bummer wanting to not fail to get re-elected.

WILCO
07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Or by the big Bummer wanting to not fail to get re-elected.

That's how I read it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20120728/un-un-arms-trade-treaty/

GOPHER SLAYER
07-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I have been a member of the NRA since 1960 and I am glad we have such an organization to battle all the anti gun groups whose number are legion and who are always well funded. I firmly believe if it were not for the NRA we wouldn't be able to own a water pistol. I like Wayne LaPierre and I think he could have made a lot more money and had a much easier job in the corperate world. He stood up to Slick Wille when he demanded a list of NRA members even when threatend with prosecution. I was very pleased to hear the UN gun control plan was stopped at least for now. Fearless leader was anxious to sign it into law.

WILCO
07-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Fearless leader was anxious to sign it into law.

It's not over. He still might after the election............if there is an election.

flint45
07-28-2012, 06:36 PM
I am with Gopher Slayer we need the N.R.A. if it was not for them WE WOULD NOT HAVE JACK. We need to stick together or we will lose our rights. Life member for 15 years.

Larry Gibson
07-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Count me in with Gopher Slayer and flint45.

Larry Gibson

flounderman
07-28-2012, 06:55 PM
the nra is the one organization every gun owner should support. I remember when they didn't put up much of a fight. the organization we have now has real political clout. At one time the recent shootings would have resulted in more restrictive, uneffective laws. Now you don't have the democrats clammoring for more laws and you can thank the nra for that. I support the tea party and any other group that is for second ammendment rights, but badmouthing the nra harms us all. they are probably the strongest group preserving the constitution, unless you think the liberal front groups like the aclu are going to defend your rights. You need to know who your friends are and not attack them, but support them.

44man
07-29-2012, 11:03 AM
There is the NRA-----we have nothing else!

waksupi
07-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Every politician that has whined about this, has laid blame to the NRA. Whoever thinks NRA wasn't in the fight, must have missed the link that was posted, showing LaPierre addressing the UN on this topic a week or so ago. He was very plain in telling them, that we would fight. Go to the NRA/ILA site, I'm sure the link is available.

popper
07-29-2012, 01:36 PM
If Bush hadn't gotten beat up so bad by the moderates, liberals and NY bankers, he would have un-funded the UN, they would have moved headquarters to EU and basically dissapeared ( EU doesn't and can't do much funding), problem solved. So thank your liberal friends for any global laws the UN wants to impose on us, the US. They are like UNESCO, Peace corp and many other dirty corrupt scum. We still have to watch out for the 'brady bunch' and friends, they will sneak it in whenever they get a chance. Not against the NRA and their claims, they and US government carry NO weight in the US except financial. UN has even attempted to TAX the US for global income (read - UN income).

bob208
07-29-2012, 04:23 PM
the more people that bi--h and complain about the nra. as in thanks to the nra people are allowed to buy guns. people are allowed to own guns. the more it just says they the nra has clout.

oldred
07-29-2012, 04:47 PM
The NRA does have a LOT of clout, if not for the past and present efforts of the NRA this site might not even have a subject to discuss! Just because the NRA does not not take a loud approach does not mean they are sitting idly by, the last thing we need is for the NRA to look like a bunch of radical zealots but what NRA critics call "radical" is just the NRA standing firm. Actually they have the right approach so they come across as well educated and organized and have earned the respect of even their critics, in the long term a well organized calm but firm effort yields better results than loud demands.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Hear, hear

1Shirt
07-29-2012, 06:47 PM
With out the NRA we could well be in, and have the same gun ownership crud factors of England, Europe, and probably most of the 3rd. World countries.
1Shirt!

Bad Water Bill
07-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Lets not forget S A F.

Second Amendment Foundation.

It was Allen Gura (their president ) that got us Heller and Mc Donald. They also need our support. Allen is a great guy.

9.3X62AL
07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Glen The Gopher Slayer said it well.

I wasn't aware that NRA had UN NGO status. That is some clout with an otherwise nattering bunch of nincompoops.

I salute ALL of the civil rights organizations that support the 2nd Amendment. They all make a contribution to the preservation of rights and liberties that idiot guvmint and private factions would like to see crushed.

bowfin
07-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Not good enough...just for jacking with us, the U.N. has to give us all of South Korea's M1 carbines for free...

PLUS

We get all of Switzerland's stashed away Sig 510s in 7.62mm, again for free.

Oh, and we get to administer gun laws for Canada, Scotland, Tasmania, New Zealand, and Australia.

ErikO
08-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Lets not forget S A F.

Second Amendment Foundation.

It was Allen Gura (their president ) that got us Heller and Mc Donald. They also need our support. Allen is a great guy.

Agreed! They currently have a lawsuit going in MO to open up the resident CCW to allow resident aliens (you know, the ones that are 99% less likely to break the law than those of us born here and who are on the path to Citizenship) to get it by removing the Citizenship requirement.

With luck, the IL semi-auto ban will get into Mr Gura's sights if it goes through and then gun restrictions in IL will potentially get squashed.

montana_charlie
08-01-2012, 12:02 PM
While the end product 'looks good', I see the NRA jumping in (again!) to claim credit for the efforts of others. Outside of the op-ed pieces published in the Rifleman (and the usual whining junk-mail solicitations for cash), I've yet to see any REAL pro-active efforts out of Mr. LaPierre and his overpaid cohorts while conservative political groups, such as the Tea Party and the Hertiage Foundation, began working on grass-roots letter/e-mail-writing campaigns, petition drives, and public awareness campaigns (literally!) months ago.
You don't see the NRA efforts because you don't care to look. Which of your 'grass roots' organizations have NGO status at the UN?
Which of them have addressed the UN (in that capacity) and laid our position on the line in a way that no gun banner could misunderstand?

From what I've read so far, it looks like the draft treaty was actually killed by a few third-world dictatorships adding amendments they knew had no chance of ratification by the U.S. (or almost any other major power) so, when the wheels came off the negotiations, they could step back and point fingers while lamenting about how hard they'd tried to make the world safer.
Because of the opposition voiced by Senators and House representatives, Obama's people asked for a delay in voting on the treaty. Obama needed time to get a Plan B working to make the Senate ratify because Fast & Furious had gone belly-up.

When the US asked for the delay, that opened the door for other countries (primarily Russia and China) who also wanted to rethink their positions.

The breakdown began due to the Senate letter of opposition, and the NRA actions ... and the NRA was part of why the Senators sent the letter.

See how useful the NRA is when you just open your eyes enough to look around?

CM

Bad Water Bill
08-01-2012, 12:20 PM
We will have to be extra vigilant after election day and until he has moved to his new home where ever that may be.

I hope somewhere in Indonesia or Kenya IF they will grant him asylum.:bigsmyl2:

At that point he and ALL of his followers will have 0 to lose so they can do as much damage to OUR constitution as they possibly can.

popper
08-01-2012, 04:19 PM
South Korea's M1 carbines Thought KBO squashed that one? NRA is a LOBBY group, politically.
MO to open up the resident CCW to allow resident aliens dumb move.

mortre
08-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Like it or not, the NRA lost the support of some people when they rolled over and didn't fight the '93 assault weapon ban. Both sides have valid arguments, and I have no idea whether the NRA gained or lost donations/memberships because of it. But my gut feeling is that they gained from it.

I buy guns, ammo and components. Lord knows the companies that profit by those items have bean counters putting a portion of those profits into making sure they can stay in business. And they can count out which bean plants will produce more fruit than I can.