PDA

View Full Version : 270 Weatherby data?

fatelvis
05-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm thinking of using cast bullets in my Vanguard VGX in 270 WM. I dont hunt any more, and I dont need all the velocity/recoil/cost of shooting full power handloads. What loads would you guys recommend? Thanks-

Bullshop
05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
I would recommend you sell the 270 WM and use the $ to buy a more apropriate cast friendly cal. After all you said you dont hunt any more.
BIC/BS

fourarmed
05-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Elvis, if you want to keep that WBY, try any good-fitting boolit and around 20 grains of SR-4759 as a start. I use the SAECO bullet, and it is a good one, though light at barely 130 grains. Somebody had a 150 grain RCBS mold for sale on the swappin' board.

fatelvis
05-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks four. I see alot of people use 4759, is it a bulky powder?

fourarmed
05-08-2007, 12:05 PM
It is quite bulky, which is probably why it is so good. You have to be careful loading it, because it will bridge in the powder measure. I put all my cases in a loading block, and charge them in order, holding the block. I double-tap the measure at top and bottom of the throw. Then I get my lamp over the block and look in each case in the order I filled them. If the powder has bridged, there will be two cases side-by-side, one underfilled and one overfilled. Makes it easy to spot. In my experience, if it does bridge, the amount of powder involved is large enough to see easily.