PDA

View Full Version : Which gun to get next...

Jamesconn
07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
The next on my list was a savage 110 30-06 bolt gun, but I'm kinda scared the AWB will come back. I was thinkin about an AK-47 I don't mind building the gun. Can you get steel cored 7.62x39 anymore or is that illegal cause of the AK pistols. If it is I'll get somethin else IM NOT GETTING AN AR I refuse to spend over $1,000 on a gun unless it's in 50 BMG. All my guns are workin guns there are no safe queens. My limit is about $300-400. If I can't get steel cored ammo for the AK I'll probably get a saiga in 223. I'd like something that you could put a slide fire stock on but I like 5.56 better than 39 cause I reload and its probably the most common and there's penetrators for it.

I don't need a tack driver I have other guns for that. I'd just like to hit a dinner plate at 200-300 yards. A gun that can fire pretty fast that can keep on shooting nomatter what, one I can get a Chromed barrel, and cheap mags. If they made an AK in 5.56 with $15 magazines that would be perfect I know they make 223 that look like AK but they are expensive.

I'm also strongly considering a ppsh 43 as a truck gun I've seen some parts kits for em how hard are they to assemble. Have any of y'all built one? I've wanted a pistol caliber carbine ever since I read about the hipoint and keltech carbines, but I'm never getting a glock it doesn't feel right at all for me, and hipoint doesn't make higher cap mags the pistols are bleh and I really like the 7.62x25 cartridge im gonna get a tokarev TT-33 whether I get a ppsh or not but they'd make one hell of a combo.

Sorry for the long post.

dk17hmr
07-27-2012, 07:04 PM
There is a mod to make 1911 magazines work in the HiPoint 45 carbine.

I say get an AR with a 50bmg upper.

I wouldnt worry about an AWB, its an election year tryin to push something like that right now would be political suicide.

Ron r
07-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Need to get that new gun by ruger
In honer of Obama if called the union
Worker It doesn't work and you can't
Fire it. Sorry couldn't hold my self back
:)

375RUGER
07-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Since next on your list is the '06 Savage, I can recommend it. My son, 17, just bought that same thing and it's a real shooter.

Not all AR-15 are over $1000. Olympic Arms makes a decent carbine for about $750. Not the top end stuff but they work. I have one and it hasn't FTF yet.

NSP64
07-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Seems like I was in walmart the other day and the had new ar's in 5.56 for $580.00.
I picked up a new S&W M&P15 off of GB for less than $600.00.

I guess you want to join the ranks of criminals.(referance obama speech about those being criminal guns)

Revolver
07-28-2012, 07:12 AM
I was thinkin about an AK-47 I don't mind building the gun. Can you get steel cored 7.62x39 anymore or is that illegal cause of the AK pistols.

I think the steel core is legal in most places but I think it has to be pre ban old stock, check your local statutes. Most mild steel core shouldn't be confused with AP and doesn't perform much better than FMJ lead core. Some people argue that steel was just used to save on lead at the time of manufacture.

For fun I recently picked up some 7.62x39 API (Armor Piercing Incendiary) and some chinese Steel Core I compared them with lead FMJ against 1/4" 1/2" and 1" steel plates. Video is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jqfRlSoK60 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOxQSvkm9ss)

I think AP and API are much harder to find than steel core, but they are out there.

Bad Water Bill
07-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Just get a STEVENS 200 in 30-06 and save money.

Not the same polish or trigger but in about 15 minutes you can unscrew the bbl and turn your rifle into a 22-250, 243, 270 and anything else that shares the same case head diameter.

largom
07-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Just get a STEVENS 200 in 30-06 and save money.

Not the same polish or trigger but in about 15 minutes you can unscrew the bbl and turn your rifle into a 22-250, 243, 270 and anything else that shares the same case head diameter.

+1 Makes a great "Working" gun.

Larry

jcameron996
07-28-2012, 09:38 AM
The stevens 200 action is the same action that is used on the savage rifles. As stated the only difference is the trigger(no accutrigger on the stevens) and the finish. I have several savage rifles and they all shoot lights out, for the money better than just about anything out there. As far as the AR15/AK47 debate, that will never be settled, but in my opinion go with the AR15. If you are not afraid to build the gun yourself, you can set up a basic gun in the 400-500 dollar range if you shop for the parts. There are several places that sell complete kits minus the lower reciever. Ammunition and components are easy to find and reasonably priced as well.

jcameron996
07-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Forgot to mention that savage rifles also have a removable bolt head so you are not even limited in caliber conversions to case head diameter. The length of the action would be the only thing keeping you from changing calibers to whatever you want.

Bad Water Bill
07-28-2012, 10:24 AM
There is a follower I have in my once 30-06 that allows me to consistently feed it 20 VAR TARGs one at a time and it works every time. Of course that is with a bolt head change of course.

jcameron996
07-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Don't want to hijack the thread but imagination is the only limiting factor when it comes to savage rifles. A friend of mine has done some pretty amazing things with the action. His .20BR is like a lazer beam. You can get pretty carried away and have as much money as a high end custom wrapped up pretty quick. The only thing is that it will probably shoot better than the high end custom and you did most of the work yourself.

RKJ
07-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Seems like I was in walmart the other day and the had new ar's in 5.56 for $580.00.
I picked up a new S&W M&P15 off of GB for less than $600.00.

I guess you want to join the ranks of criminals.(referance obama speech about those being criminal guns)

I saw that too, there is a DPMS Sportical (Flat top no forward assist) for $579.00 I wouldn't worry too much about an AWB as the last one didn't work for what the anti's wanted, the manufacturers changed a few things and demand jacked up prices but they were available.

Bad Water Bill
07-28-2012, 01:00 PM
During the AWB days I can not tell you how many dealers were selling 30 round 9MM mags for my Browning Hi power. Same with 20 rounds for 1911s. Everyone swore they were made in 1987. Wonder what state that is in?

For you youngsters, before WW2 a lot of folks did not want to buy MADE IN JAPAN. So there was a town re named MADE IN AMERICA and another MADE IN THE U S A.

IIRC they got away with it for several years.

Moonie
07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a Savage Edge (now called the Axis) in 30-06 that I got for my 13 year old daughter. It shoots very well and is rather inexpensive.

crazy mark
07-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Since next on your list is the '06 Savage, I can recommend it. My son, 17, just bought that same thing and it's a real shooter.

Not all AR-15 are over $1000. Olympic Arms makes a decent carbine for about $750. Not the top end stuff but they work. I have one and it hasn't FTF yet.

Couldn't get me to buy a gun from olympic arms. Grouches in the office and terrible customer service.

John in WI
07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
I built an AK, and I would say it's not a project for someone who "doesn't mind" building one. The parts alone were about $300 (less the reciever). Then there are assembly parts (rivets, etc.) and other needed tools for setting the rivets.... It took a huge amount of time as I lacked a mill and did much of the fitting with a drill press and hand files.

It's possible to build a very nice AK, but I would recomend doing it for the sake of doing it. Not for the sake of saving money.

I was taken by the AK really because they are wonderfully crude and primitive. And if you get something with the "bonded template" it really is a simple matter of following the lines. Remove most of the sheet metal with a slightly under sized drill and file things close to the line. Then hand fit the parts. I can't imagine a PPSH would be any harder.

Word to the wise though--it would be a good idea to tell your significant other about the project. I seem to have neglected to tell mine, and she totally freaked out. She was fully convinced I would be hauled away in handcuffs. It took some time to prove to her that with the right compliance parts, it is indeed perfectly legal.

Anyway, I would love to build another at some point. Building AK's is exactly as addictive as casting boolits!

Frank46
07-31-2012, 12:02 AM
I had a very good friend who unfortunately passed away about a year ago. Before he left us he wanted to get both an M4 clone from Bushmaster and a Ak47. Called me up and said walk out the door. There he was with both. A brand spankin new M4 by Bushmaster and a Ak 47 semi auto. Said before anyone started another ban he was going to get these and have some fun. Unfortunately he never told anyone just how sick he was. I only found out a few months later when his old beatup truck and his dads car was gone and the garage was empty. Checked the obituary's in the local newpapers and found out he had passed two months prior. Took some digging to locate his nearest relatives so I could send a letter of condolence and share some of the good times we had. Frank

jameslovesjammie
08-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Our Walmart has a DPMS AR for $499. If you are ever wanting to upgrade the rifle, parts are readily available and cheap. So are mags and ammo.

bob208
08-03-2012, 05:09 PM
well i have that same problem. i walked into a gun shop. which is bad any way because i haer the voices starting take me take me. i found two 03a3's one remington and one smith corona. plus a nice krag rifle. all are right and uncut.

Plate plinker
08-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Building a AR is a good idea too. And affordable.

Dale in Louisiana
08-03-2012, 05:54 PM
AR's are like Barbie dolls for gunnies: You start out with the basic one, and accessorize (or not) to your heart's content. Parts and accessories (for now) are cheap and plentiful on one end of the scale and on the other end, you can actually put together a rifle that is shamefully accurate.

I'll probably get raked over the coals for this statement, because there ARE exceptions, but the average AK is going to be hard put to keep all the shots on a dinner plate at two hundred yards. Yeah, I know that somebody'll jump up and explain that theirs was assembled by a Bulgarian master sniper and holds three inches at six hundred, but seriously, the gun was developed by people who did not hold accuracy in high regard.

dale in Louisiana
(and yes, I LOVE the wood stocks. I have M-1A, M-1 Garand, M1903A3, M-1 carbine, THREE AR's, a Ross and a 7mm rolling block)