PDA

View Full Version : Pet loads for Pedersoli 50 cal Frontier ?

xring1
07-27-2012, 02:01 PM
I just picked up one of these in 50 cal percussion... 39" barrel 1-48 twist.
Anyone have one or suggestions on pet loads?

Boerrancher
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
70 grains of 2FG on a PRB is a good place to start. There are a thousand different variables in a load and loading methods and you will have to play around until you find the combination that shoots exceptionally well, but getting it to shoot well enough to kill a deer inside of 100 yards should be no trick.

Best wishes,

Joe

HARRYMPOPE
07-29-2012, 02:13 PM
the Lyman 50 Plains bullet is a good one should you choose conicals.Its about the easiest combo to load and shoot.

George

oldracer
07-29-2012, 02:21 PM
I have a Hawken, home made Lehigh with 42 inch barrel and a custom made with 36 inch barrel. They all shoot very well at 100 yds with 70gn of Goex FFG and a patched 0.490 round ball using pillow ticking. My custom made was actually made for a 0.495 ball and linen patch but so far I do not have any of that size so I shoot what I have and am happy with it. As already said, try different loads, different sized ball and different type of patch material.

I stated with 60gn of FFG and went all the way to 90gn in all 3 guns and saw little difference in drop out to 100yds except for more smoke and a slightly louder bang so I settled on 70gn for consistency sake.

waksupi
07-29-2012, 03:28 PM
I have been surprised just how many bore sizes shoot well with 65 gr. 3FFF.

HARRYMPOPE
07-29-2012, 03:41 PM
I have been surprised just how many bore sizes shoot well with 65 gr. 3FFF.

I agree with patched RB i use FFF for 32-58 calibers.

George

oldracer
07-29-2012, 06:22 PM
One thing to consider I imagine, is how you get your powder? If you are like me a buy it by the case from someone such as Conies then you want to look at what other black powder guns you shoot. SInce I shoot several 45-70 BPCR I decided to use FFG as it works well enough in everything including my Walker Colt 44s. FFFG might give a bit more accuracy but I tend to try and make things easy since I am getting older......

waksupi
07-29-2012, 09:05 PM
The thing I like about 3FFF, is less fouling than 2FF, and less powder per shot for the same velocity and accuracy.

The Black Spot
08-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I have a .50 frontier. I shoot 60 gr of 3f, behind a mink tallow lubed linen patch and hornady round ball. I prime with the same 3f. 1.25" groups at 50 yds.

Omnivore
08-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Last time out with my 50 cal 48" twist Lyman, using a new peep sight, I got a cloverleaf at 50 yards using the Lee REAL 250 lubed with Gatofeo #1 over a lubed felt wad and 90 grains Goex 2F (groups opened up with heavier charges, and with any charge without the felt wad - go figure). Haven't tried the 3F but it sounds worth trying. Still in progress with this LEE bullet as I need to get out to 100 yards or more and see where it prints. A cloverleaf at 50 is a very promising start though, and I'm sure that the 250 grains will whack the snot out of a large deer at close range (I'll find out this November on our not-so-large white-tail).

Your 48" twist will handle some heavier bullets though, if you're thinking elk or some such.

Careful on the charges though-- I cracked my walnut stock early on, trying some of the 385 grain bullets and heavy, 100+ grain charges (the recoil pulled my glasses off. I don't recommend it). It's fixed now and you'd never know it, but different grain in the wood might have resulted in worse damage. Whadaya want? I was a total greenhorn, didn't have this web site for advice, and the guy I bought the gun from told me you "couldn't overload this barrel". Oy.

Before trying the Lee REAL I was using 110 grains 2F, a .495" ball and the thinner patch (NOT pillow ticking - I don't recall the exact thickness but they're ubiquitous on the store shelves) lubed with Bore Butter for hunting. Very tight fit but it stood up well to the heavy charge. I got around 5 inch groups at 100 yards with that load using the original open sights. Not great but plenty workable. Whacked a buck at 85 yards with that PRB load, and several other deer at closer distances. Very little recoil but lots of smoke. The smoke once resulted in a deer that was simply gone when the smoke cleared. No clue did I have. I found her though, after a few minutes of nervous uncertainty. (hope for a bit of wind, eh?)

Experimenting is half (or more than half) the fun. Let us know what you find. I was lusting after one of those Frontier rifles once for a long time.

Hogdaddy
08-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I shoot a patched .490 RB over 80 gr pyrodex, No kick and great groups ; )
H/D PS I Shoot a New Englander 26"