PDA

View Full Version : New to Cast Bullets

dave1909
07-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Hello everyone. I am an IDPA shooter and i go through alot of rounds every time I go out. So I need to start to make my own bullets. I will be making 9mm 124gn and 38 special (.357dia) 158gn bullets. I need to know where to buy things like a furnace, molds, and i guess I want a star lubrisizer. The Lyman one looks too slow for me. I reload on a Dillon 650 XL, so I am used to speed. I only shoot targets, and steel. Any help would be great. Thanks, Dave

canyon-ghost
07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
There is a Swappin' and Sellin' section here, you get the best deals on molds there.

I recommend a book on Bullet Casting say, one of the Lyman 4th edition Cast Bullet Handbooks. It helps to know about what will happen ahead of time.

MtGun44
07-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the asylum.

9mm can be a bit of a PITA for newbies, but the .38 Spl is usually pretty darned
forgiving. If you can, I'd start with the .38 Spl and after you have it working to your
satisfaction, step up to the less friendly 9mm. 1st lesson is "Harder is NOT usually better
or even necessary." - commercial caster's and print articles not withstanding. I have used
air cooled (non hardened) clip on wheel weight alloy for everything up to full power
.44 mag and .357 mag loads with no gas checks.

Try the Lyman 358477 or RCBS 38-150-SWC (old designation was 38-150-K or KT) which
are near twins. Also the Lyman 358429 unless you are using a N-frame S&W or one of
the other short cylinder guns in .357 and .357 brass. In .38 Spl in a .38 Spl, it is superb.
If you have issues with speedloading with the SWCs, Lym 358311 is the best known
RN design that is a "known good" one.

Stick to NRA 50-50 or LBT soft blue lubes at first to save some grief, you can experiment later
with other lubes once you have it all working. Expect to use .357 or 358 diam for both
cartridges.

IMO, avoid the tumble lube designs, esp for the 9mm, altho some have managed to find
a sweet spot and get it to work for 9mm. Reports on TL designs and Liquid Alox (AKA Mule
Snot) for .38 Spl are more encouraging. The primary advantage to the TL designs is the lack of
need for a lubrisizer, although pan lubing and a Lee push through sizer can make conventional
designs work without a lubrisizer, too. at about the same effort and cost as TL.

Check this out, it may save you some time. Explore the stickies in general, too.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121737

williamwaco
07-26-2012, 08:38 PM
I like Midway USA. YOU can however get some really good deals from members of this site.

I have used all of the various Lyman Lubrisizers 45, 450, and 4500 and about a 1970 model Star.
The Star is a gread device but I did not see any speed advantage.

If you want speed, I recommend you take a look at the Lee Lubricator kits. I use them exclusively for handgun bullets.

smoked turkey
07-26-2012, 09:45 PM
+1 on this site for not only the best deals on used molds, but the membership here are dead honest about the condition of the equipment they are selling. Something that other sites cannot know for instance is what is the as cast diameter of the boolit from a particular mold. Here you will find that matching the gun to the proper diameter of sized boolit is very important for accuracy and proper bore maintenance. Most folks here know and will tell what diameter their mold casts at with certain alloys. On places like fleabay if you ask that question they will probably say ...."huh". Welcome to the site. Hold on because you are about to take a ride!.

RobS
07-26-2012, 10:50 PM
If commercial white label lube at the bottom of the page (LsStuff - Lars) for your lube needs or even Randy Rat a forum member also is putting out some good lubes. WLL's BAC will smoke less than 50/50 and I recommend this one to many who are buying. Her is also a great resourse: http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm
with special attention to: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

As to casting equipment, there is on the forum here in the swappin & sellin section as well as the online giants like MidwayUSA, Graffs&Sons, MidSouth Shooters Supply and a few others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

There are many forum sections and topics and they have stickies that are very helpful for the general or common questions but if you don't find what you are after this forum and those people who embrace it are more than willing to lend a hand. Truely a great community here.

RobS
07-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Additionally if we knew what firearms you were planning on feeding as well as their groove diameters (slugged the bores with a pure lead slug) we could help you make an educated decision on your mold selection. As to furnace or lead pot that depends on deep your wallet is. There are Lyman and RCBS furnaces that are good quality and then the Lee 20# pot that works well if you keep it clean. I've run with a 20 # pot and have no issues if kept clean and I have used a speed router controller to adjust the voltage to keep a more consistent pot/alloy temperature. Personally I'm a bottom pour person but many others prefer to use a label. Since you are going to be working with smaller grain boolits you'll may be better suited with a bottom pour.

dave1909
07-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Such a great responce. i will be feeding a M&P 9mm, and a S&W 686 6shot 357 mag, but using 38 special bullets. My main questionis with the lube and sizing. I am fairly familiar with the melting and pouring. I want to know what press t buy. The Lyman 4500 or the Star Lubrisizer. Im leaning toward the Star. Once i get that then we can talk about lube types. Also, where do you buy a Star machine from? do they have dealers in PA, or is it a ship item only? Thanks again

Dave

captaint
07-27-2012, 07:33 AM
dave - go read MtGun44's post again. Welcome to the obsession. You're gonna like it here. enjoy Mike

mdevlin53
07-27-2012, 08:09 AM
I have found the best way to get a deal on Castboolits is to find what you want on midway order it use it once and the next day someone will be selling the very item you bought. Patience and keep checking the swap and sell link.

RobS
07-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Star Lube-sizer (New):

http://www.magmaengineering.com/component/banners/click/14/

New dies for the Star can be had a bit cheaper from a forum member here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=62874

David2011
07-28-2012, 12:14 AM
+1 on a Star lubrisizer. 1,000 boolits/ hr easily. I also have a Lyman 450 luberisizer. IMO there is a big speed advantage to the Star. The difference is about the same as the difference between a Dillon 550 and a 650. I have one each of those as well.

David