PDA

View Full Version : I just dodged a BOOLIT

DCP
07-25-2012, 05:36 PM
I just dodged a BOOLIT! Well really a Lathe Chuck

I won a 6" Skinner 4006 South Bend Lathe Works from Ebay

It comes when I am in the hospital for 8 days.

So when I come home, I just screwed it on the lathe for fit. Turn on the lathe for 3 or 4 sec. looks good. I am exhausted.

Fast forward 2 weeks, I finally feel like doing something. So I am going to clean the rust off it. I take my piece of 1/2 plywood to protect the ways.

Start to unscrew the chuck. The chuck body falls on to the plywood. The adapter plate is still screwed to the lathe.

There is no fricken bolts in it. I just shutter to think what could have happened.

The bolt holes are 5/16-18 need 1 5/8" long. I do have some 1" ones but get this.
They wont go into the chuck body the bolt holes heads are .452 , the bolt head
is .465

So about 50 years ago did some one make the bolt holes head undersized?

Well that's enough for me today. I will work on this another day.
'

bob208
07-25-2012, 05:51 PM
if you are talking scocket head cap screws. they made the heads in two different sizes like you just foud out. you can either hunt fore the right size or trun down the ones you have.

i had this problem on a chuck with reversiable jaws one jaw had a different set of bolts even use a different allen wrench. one day many year later while going through my box of shcs i found two just like the ones i lost. now it only takes one wrench to flip the jaws.

Blacksmith
07-25-2012, 06:50 PM
You need 1936 series and yes they are still made you can probably get them through an Unbrako dealer. Here is a link to their brochure see page 13 for dimensions of 1936 series:
http://www.unbrako.com/docs/technical-borchure.pdf

If that dosen't work for you IIRC (you'll have to research) I believe low head socket head screws have smaller diameter heads than regular for the same thread size.

mstarling
07-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Lucky fella you are! Would not have been pretty.

Can always use socket head screws and "adjust" their head diameter.

DCP
07-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks to all

Found 1936 socket cap screws at Fastenal for a little over a $1.00 each.
But of course "not in stock"

They only wanted me to order 1000 of them as per the manufacture.

So I go to Fastenal with the chuck to get regular socket cap screws for about $00.30 each. (I will just turn them down)

We get the 4 standard bolts and 2 slide right in and 2 dont (go figure) so I just turned down the 2. The holes on the chuck are 2 different size. My short bolts wont go into any of the holes.

I just shutter to think what could of happen with this chuck. the bolt holes were filled with years of crude couldn't see the bolts that weren't there.