PDA

View Full Version : First casting session - fire away

loadmak
07-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Santa (fedex) delivered by melting pot and molds today. Here is my first attempt:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg617/jreif2/image.jpg

These are 158gr cast from straight ww lead. The first 4 there are representative of this batch. They are not super shiny, just a little dull. I wiped one a little with a rag and it got shiny without too much persuasion. The one on the right has a little defect at the base. Is that something to be concerned about? Do you think these are OK? Any feedback is appreciated. Like I said, fire away. :-) Thanks.

trk
07-24-2012, 08:25 PM
You did very well.

There are a hundred LITTLE things that go into making a VERY precise casting.

How much precision is NEEDED or WANTED?

The best indicator (other than peer review) of consistancy of ALL the variables is to weigh the bullets. (You might not need to at this point, but when you want to put a lot of rifle bullets into a right-much small group you will.)

If you open the sprue cutter a little earlier, it will shear the sprue a bit cleaner. (Minor point)

Inspect for the sharpness of fill all over and especially on the bottom edges. (Affects accuracy)

paul h
07-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Good first session! TL, let dry, load and shoot em.

I personally just do a visual inspection of my bullets, if they have wrinkles, voids or porosity they get melted down again. If the bullet looks like it is completely filled out the mold I call it good.

I can't see the defect you're referring to on the bullet to the right from the picture.

Boyscout
07-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I see a couple of things:
1)Let the mold cool down a little more; you are tearing out the base of the bullets when you knock off the sprue.
2)Add 1-2% tin to your wheel weights; they will fill in the mold better.
3)You are using a Lee mold, make sure you lubricate the guide pins and V's with bullet lube. DO NOT USE LIQUID ALOX!! Your bullets look like the mold didn't come together all the way.
4)I assume these are for .38 Spl or .357 Mag. I don't think the defects would cause gas cutting or anything. Go ahead and shoot them and make the above corrections on the next batch. I wish my first batch looked that good.

375RUGER
07-24-2012, 08:58 PM
The sprue tear is because you cut the sprue too soon. Your lead needed to solidify a little longer.
You made some nice boolits your first time out. Go shoot em and have fun.

GP100man
07-24-2012, 09:09 PM
The ones with the lines lube 1 then load it make sure it`ll chamber ifin ya ain`t gonna size em .

Other wise ya done good !!! wish my first 1s looked that good !!!