PDA

View Full Version : Trade Gun and Squirrel Hunting

Boerrancher
07-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Not being able to sleep at night has some advantages at times. After 2 hours of sleep I woke up at 3 AM and couldn't go back to sleep. I laid there until 4 and got up. I grabbed the trade gun and headed for the woods at 4:30. By 5 I was in the woods and it was still very dark, but the trees were full of squirrels. I here them moving and more importantly cutting Hickory nuts. I guess in this triple digit heat, they are stirring in early morning when the temps are in the upper 80's. I couldn't see anything, but it sounded like it was raining in the woods. Just before day break I was able to blast my first one as it silhouetted itself on a tree limb against the lighter sky. That was the first of 4 and all of them were taken headed back to their den trees. Not a single one of them in a nut tree cutting nuts. I shot 6 times in about 30 min or more and was back home before 7, and after 6:30 there was not a single squirrel to be seen or heard. In my nearly 40 years of squirrel hunting I have never seen squirrels moving in the dark.

The NW trade gun did a fair job. The couple I missed I probably would have gotten with my 32, because it has a bit longer range. Here are the photo's of today's adventure.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/FLSquirrelsA.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/FLSquirrelsB.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/FLSquirrelsC.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Hunting%20and%20Fishing/FLSquirrelsD.jpg

smoked turkey
07-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Very nice job. You certainly earned those squirrels by getting into the woods at such an early hour. I have also noticed that the squirrels are not moving about during the heat of the day. Not being as dedicated as you I have only noticed and not done anything about getting my own for stew. From the pictures it looks like you did a good job shooting them without much meat damage.

Hubertus
07-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Congratulations or as we say Waidmanns Heil!

Very nice story and pictures.
I like your setup with the horn and the pouch.

So you blooded it - good!

You mentioned you would have gotten the two shots with your .32 - what distance did you try and what was the load you used?

Hubertus

sharps4590
07-24-2012, 05:35 PM
ahhhh....I can smell 'em a'fryin' already!! Good goin' Joe!

I haven't seen any on the bird feeder for a couple weeks. Reckon they're in the woods cuttin' nuts and doin' it early from your description.

JeffinNZ
07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Joe, I am dead envious of your hunting. Tha'ts fantastic!

451 Pete
07-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Nice job Joe.

docone31
07-24-2012, 08:01 PM
The squirrels here all have Bot Flies. Squirrels with bumps.
A lot do not make it.

whtsmoke
07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Boerrancher, good job them there smoothbores do a fine job but wheres the hawk? got to have a hawk with you to protect yourself from the critters after the first shot.

Boerrancher
07-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the compliments fellas. I had a blast. It takes a bit longer to load than the 32 does but it still loads fast enough to kill a mess of squirrels in about 30 to 45 min.

You mentioned you would have gotten the two shots with your .32 - what distance did you try and what was the load you used?

Hubertus

Hubertus, the shots that I made were all under 30 steps. The two that I missed were at about 35 steps. I have made head shots at 40 steps with the 32 on occasion. I was shooting a load of 50 grains of 2Fg. My wads are cut from regular box cardboard because I am cheap. I put 2 of them on top of the powder, and pour 1 1/8 th oz of #5 shot on top of that with a single card over the top of it. Out to about 30 meters it shoots a nice even pattern with at least one piece of shot per square inch, add 5 steps to that and the pattern develops holes in it you can drive a car through. I have noticed that adding a third card wad between the powder and shot tightens up the pattern a bit, but not really enough to make a difference at another 15 feet. I am sure I could play with the powder charge, and shot size, but #5 shot is what I use in my 28 ga and 410 shotguns.

I have noticed with my shot loads that it is not as loud as it is with a PRB. When I pull the trigger it goes Foomp with a shot load, and stomps the **** out of me. A PBR with 50 grains of powder behind it goes off with a thundering boom and is a bit easier on the shoulder.

Best wishes,

Joe

waksupi
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Good going, Joe. Try loading more shot than powder by volume. I would have to do some measuring to see what I'm shooting, but I get a good pattern with a bit more shot at a longer range.

Hang Fire
07-25-2012, 04:03 AM
I was shooting a load of 50 grains of 2Fg. My wads are cut from regular box cardboard because I am cheap. I put 2 of them on top of the powder, and pour 1 1/8 th oz of #5 shot on top of that with a single card over the top of it.
Joe

Can't go wrong with the English loading of, little powder, much shot. Always makes denser patterns for me.

Boerrancher
07-25-2012, 10:58 AM
The way my load works is 50 grains of the powder on my measure, and 90 grains volume wise of shot on the same measure. I could increase the shot charge a bit more if you all think it would help.

Best wishes

Joe

EMC45
07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Nice write up and pics.

Boz330
07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Nice going. This is what I would like to have a trade gun for. I enjoy squirrel hunting more in the fall. No ticks and much less heat and as the leaves fall it easier to find the critters.

As far as the sleep deprivation try some Melatonin. I was having the same problem till I tried it. It still happens occasionally but not near as often as before.

Bob

1Shirt
07-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Good pics. Congrats!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Boerrancher
07-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Well I am going to hit the sack here in a bit and get up early enough to try it again in the morning. We will see how it goes.

Best wishes,

Joe

Ajax
07-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Do you have a problem with it hitting you in the cheek bone when firing? I heard that was a issue with them.

Andy

Hanshi
07-26-2012, 04:16 PM
The trade guns are very interesting and I've wanted one for a while. I've finally decided to get a NSW canoe gun kit as soon as I can afford it and do the build myself. Already have a .62 smoothbore with a 38" barrel. I'm looking forward to eventually using my canoe gun on squirrels and deer.

x101airborne
07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Down here on the gulf coast, the early morning humidity gives a little problem with condensation on the flint and plate. After a couple of shots, it is easy to have moisture and fouling on both pieces. I keep some of the little alcahol pads like nurses use in my pack. After a couple of shots, I just wipe both off with a wipe and I am good to go. Might keep you shooting longer in damp weather.

Boerrancher
07-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Trey,

I generally spit on my fingers and wipe the flint and the frizzen. I have heard and seen several old timers wipe spit on the flint and frizzen before shooting each time. Don't know if it helps or not, but I know keeping the flint clean is a must. I like the idea of the alcohol wipes for a quick clean up though. I have a bunch of them on hand for vaccination times. Thanks for the tip.

Best wishes,

Joe