PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Bullet

OhioBeekeeper
07-24-2012, 03:12 AM
I've got a Lyman 475 Grain Bullet stuck about 2-1/2" down the barrel of a Euroarms Volunteer Rifle, and need some suggestions on getting this thing out... I'm not going to pound this thing down the barrel. I've soaked the bore in front of the bullet with oil, and tried my bullet puller with no luck. Anyone got any ideas? Once I get this thing out I'm staying with paper patch bullets.

Nobade
07-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Do you have a slide hammer? Can you make one? If you can get it drilled deep enough for a big wood screw on the end of a slide hammer you should be able to get it out.

curator
07-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Replace the nipple with the proper sized "Zerk" fitting. Automobile supply stores have these in both SAE and Metric threads. Then get a high-pressure grease gun and pump the bore full of grease. Clean-up is a bit messy but this method is the best way to get bore obstructions out of muzzle loaders without risking barrel damage. Obviously you can't shoot it out unless you can seat the bullet in the breech. Screw-type bullet pullers often just make things worse. I've removed many a bullet puller and ramrod tip along with the stuck bullet using the grease-gun method.

Beagle333
07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
At only 2-1/2 inches in there, I'd vote for the slide hammer too. A 4" bit and a 4" big wood screw and you're in business! Good luck!

Goatwhiskers
07-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Since you've got it oiled, try removing the nipple and apply high pressure air, worked for me twice. Another old gunsmith's trick: Remove the barrel from wood. Remove nipple and inject water thru flash hole, might take a while to fill barrel in this situation. Warm barrel with torch, when water hits boiling the steam will pop the bullet out, easy clean up. Warning: the bullet will come out with considerable velocity, be safe. I usually use this one for guns that are actually loaded left over from last year or before and can't pull the charge. There will be no damage to metal or finish. Here endeth the lesson. Goatwhiskers the Elder

Coffeecup
07-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm with Curator on the use of grease from a grease gun to force the bullet out. I've never had luck pulling a bore-size conical.

bob208
07-24-2012, 10:21 PM
the nice thing about the slide hammer is if it fails you have not added anything else to the bore obstrutition. if it does not work and i have had it happen that way run a bigger screwinto the bullet and pump it out with grease.

you have done one thing right you have asked for advice before adding more to the problem.