PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to a friend

Crawdaddy
07-23-2012, 10:09 PM
I had to put my 12 year old lab, Pierre, down today. We duck and goose hunted the rice fields of Louisiana, quail and duck hunted in Washington state, dove, quail and duck hunted new Mexico .

He was a natural, at six months old he was pulling geese out of a rice field. They were too heavy for him to lift so he drug them backwards to the blind.

I got so mad at him the first time we duck hunted out of a blind on a lake. He kept jumping in and retrieving the decoys when there weren't any ducks to retrieve.

The little guy was the best friend I ever had. I never thought letting go of a pet could be so hard.

See ya in the next life buddy..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

27judge
07-23-2012, 10:20 PM
i lost my black lab many years ago. He was the best hunting friend i ever had and im 73 years old .He put to shame many a so called bird dog in the pheasant fields of pa many times and was one of the best woodcock and quail dogs i ever seen .
ducks and geese i live on the cheasapeake bay so you can pretty much figue that one out.I started my own business back then and never took the time to have or train another dog. Over the years its been one of my many regrets.Dogs are truly mans best friend. I know your loss tks ken

1911sw45
07-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Sorry to hear about that Crawdaddy.

Adam

gandydancer
07-23-2012, 10:45 PM
My ol patch was the best friend I ever had. I feel your pain. they breed dogs for anything today why can't they breed them to live longer????

gray wolf
07-23-2012, 11:03 PM
I say from experience,
I understand some what how you must feel.
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

RobS
07-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Sorry, I feel you...................and I hope that time will heal your heart. I know your dear 4 legged friend will never be forgotten.

WILCO
07-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Sorry to hear about that Crawdaddy.

Adam

Same here. It's hard to deal with. I had to put down two myself. Stay strong, keep moving forward.

tomme boy
07-24-2012, 12:01 AM
"I heard this one time, I can't remember where. It is the words of a young boy, who reasoned that the life of a dog is so short, because it only takes a few years in this world to spread all of their love and joy around to others and for God to notice and wish them to be by His side. While it usually takes a man much, much longer to achieve the same result--if he ever can."

David2011
07-24-2012, 12:18 AM
My English Springer left this world over 20 years ago and I still miss her. My heart goes out to you.

David

Hamish
07-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Not much on this earth is harder to do.

Bad Water Bill
07-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Just remember your buddy will meet you with tail wagging at rainbow bridge when it is your time to cross over.

I have a couple waiting to wash my face again when I cross over.

Stay strong.

wgr
07-24-2012, 02:36 AM
sorry for your loss. i never thought that getting mad at my lab could be so enjoyable.

Jim
07-24-2012, 05:50 AM
Crawdaddy, I'm sorry, man. I know that hurt. Been there and had to do that.

It's OK to grieve, that's part of the healing process. You never will get over it completely, but after awhile, it'll ease up a bit. Eventually, you'll get past it and start thinking about that time you two did something together that brings a smile to ya'.

May I suggest you post a photo if you have one? Personally, I think it might help a bit.

When I had to put down my ol' Black an' Tan 'coon hound, Lucy, I left the porch light on all night for a month. Remember, "All dogs go to heaven".

Gentlemen, I'd like to propose a toast to the best bird dog ever was, ol' Pierre. Raise your glasses!

Bad Water Bill
07-24-2012, 06:00 AM
HERE HERE:drinks:

Wal'
07-24-2012, 06:09 AM
You have few real friends in this world & the four legged variety makes up most of them.

My thoughts on a good hound.

smokeywolf
07-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Crawdaddy,
Hang in there, the pain will become tolerable. I'm almost in tears already over the white wolf I lost 5 1/2 years ago.
Although it hurts now, if you never had him, look at all you and he would have missed. He had a great life because of you.
I really do share your pain.

smokeywolf

Grandpas50AE
07-24-2012, 08:01 AM
I can't begin to tell you how much I feel for you bro. I lost my Black Lab over 40 years ago, and miss her still. Though the pain is gone, I still think of her often, and I know she will be there to greet me when I'm done here. Her name was Peaka, and I watched her a few times reading a clock, darned smart dog. I lost her to Parvo before her third birthday in 1970, but the two and a half years we shared were absolutely precious, and obviously not forgotten. I raise my glass with the others here to honor Pierre. Never easy to lose a friend, but it is our closeness that gives their time in our life special meaning. Keep the faith bro.

captaint
07-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Parting with our 4 legged friends is very difficult. I've always hoped they know how much they mean to us. Hang in there, daddy. Mike

jmsj
07-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Crawdaddy,
Sounds like you gave Pierre a good home and had lots of good memories. I too have had and lost couple of good dogs. I had one Lab-cross that got parvo virus as a puppy, after getting her healed up I did not think she would live all that long. She stayed with me 17 more years.
I believe they they wait for us in Heaven eagerly waiting to hunt the fields of Heaven with us.
God Bless, jmsj

375supermag
07-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Sorry for your loss.

We also lost a black Lab early this spring to cancer. She was 11-1/2 years old.

She was an independent-minded troublemaker who earned her nickname "NO! NO! BAD DOG!!! But she managed to weasel her way into our hearts, regardless.

Her given name was Smith.

Her litter mate remains behind to watch over us in her abscence. He is named Wesson. He is pushing 12 years old now and is showing his age a bit. He may be the best dog that ever moved in and took over my house. I dread the day he crosses over The Rainbow Bridge...

I know my wife and son will be devastated.

blackthorn
07-24-2012, 12:03 PM
I feel your loss! As mentioned, time will dull the pain. Hang in there.

Alan in Vermont
07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Crawdaddy, my heart goes out to you at this time. Been there, done that last November when our 11 yr old Choc. Lab left us. Hank (III) had traveled with us as far as Wisconsin and spent most of his days in the truck with me as I went about my work. A friend presented us with a new pup, another Choc. and another Hank (IV) three days later. The new one wormed his way into our aching hearts very rapidly.

Here's to Pierre and Hank and to all the others who have held our hearts. I don't know what we did to deserve them but I'm glad we had them for a while.

Carolina Cast Bullets
07-24-2012, 12:30 PM
It is my ambition in life to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am

mstarling
07-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Crawdaddy,

Losing a member of the family is indeed a terribly difficult thing. Will take a while to be grateful to have had the time rather that feel the loss so strongly.

I miss my puppies and my kittens too. Bless their hearts they brought me much joy and comfort!

Peace

latesvak
07-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I feel your pain and it does get better with time but you will never forget. I know I wont.

luke

firefly1957
07-24-2012, 06:23 PM
A good dog is a friend indeed and will be missed for years to come take care of yourself if you are lucky another friend will come along to help you.

Crawdaddy
07-24-2012, 09:58 PM
I am truly touched by all of your kind words. I knew I could come here and post what I couldn't talk to others about.

I love it here. Thanks guys.

Jim, here is a pic of him last winter.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6466738663_e4b9f60826.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjhollic/6466738663/) Picture 234 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjhollic/6466738663/) by Crawdaddy Mark (http://www.flickr.com/people/cjhollic/), on Flickr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim
07-25-2012, 05:56 AM
"Damn the snow and the cold! My Daddy's outside, that's where I'll be!"