PDA

View Full Version : Talkin' loud an' writin' big

Jim
07-23-2012, 06:07 AM
No, it's not a bragadocious attitude, it's age.

When I go home for my week break every month, Janet has to tell me frequently, "You're yelling." I don't even realize it. I work around a lot of noise and deaf ol' men, so I revert back to my days in construction and turn the volume up. After three weeks of that, I do it at home without even realizing it.

When I post, I usually always bold highlight the text and use size three font. It's not because I want y'all to see my post over someone else's. It's because I'm half blind in one eye an' the other one don't work. I have to squint to see the text when I typing, so I highlight and increase size just so I can proof read it.

Dang, this gettin' old is gettin' old. That's alright, though. I tell them young boys "Don't you worry, son, this rusty ol' truck can still spin th' tires."

07-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Growing old beats the hell of of dying young.

Geraldo
07-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Well, Jim, I sympathize with you. I'm always asking my wife to speak up, and I need magnification to read up close and correction to see at distance.

Getting old isn't a lot of fun, but there isn't much of an alternative so we have to suck it up and drive on.

frkelly74
07-23-2012, 06:23 AM
I have trouble getting the kids to speak so that I can hear them, I think they mumble on purpose. They give me funny looks when I mention it. I tell my wife that I have absolutely no trouble hearing her as long as I can see her lips when she says something. It's a conspiracy.

linotype
07-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Yep, I hear ya, Jim.
At my age, there are a few nicks and dings in my stock, the sights are a bit wonky, I'm sure my head spacing is off, the safety is worn, and the barrel leading is covering up the pits. Not sure if I'm more antique than vintage.
A little worst for wear and lots of memories of good times.

Be as loud as you want. You earned it.

Echo
07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
The phrase I use most is 'Say Again?'

oneokie
07-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Blind in one eye and can't see out of the other?

Just add deaf in one ear and can't hear with the other and you will definitely be old.

Goatwhiskers
07-23-2012, 01:49 PM
The most used word at a gathering of gun nuts: "Huh?" GW

gandydancer
07-23-2012, 02:19 PM
I am older yes. I tell the young man who is having a laugh on me as I doze on and off at the shooting bench. but you must remember I have made it this far in life. you may not. also remember I can't run and I can't fight. so I may have to kill you. Have a great day. GD

geargnasher
07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Jim, having had a lot of non-age-related eye problems, I have some tips. I don't know what internet browser you're using, but with most any program you can zoom the screen quite a bit and read what you're typing. I'm using Windows 7 Pro and Internet Exploder, my mouse wheel is programmed to zoom in/out when one of the "control" keys is held down. The programming keeps shuffling things on the screen so you can see it all while zoomed, give that a shot. It stays like you put it until you exit that window.

Gear

Hamish
07-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Did you say something? I had my hearing aid turned down. Hold on, I'll turn it up so I can read this.[smilie=1:

Roosters
07-23-2012, 03:11 PM
I find that my lack of hearing and vision are quite comforting. I’ve noticed things that I didn’t see or hear scare the snot out of other people !!! ;-)

Harter66
07-23-2012, 03:19 PM
I went for the company annual physical not long ago . When I got to see the doc I said "I know, I'm fat,deaf,and blind", he said "there's a name for that condition. Its called over 25 and have a life." With that I decided he was ok too.

frkelly74
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Push the ctrl button and spin the wheel for a zoom effect????/ Wow I just learnt a thing. Thanks geargnasher

Sasquatch-1
07-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Add me to the lot. I can trace that buzzing and ringing in the ears right back to a S&W Mod. 29 when I was about 20. Didn't have the common sense to put on hearing protection and the guy fired it from about 4' behind and to the left of me. Ears have been ringing ever since.

looseprojectile
07-23-2012, 05:25 PM
I feel your pain.
Often when asked a question about a program on tv that we just watched at a volume that my wife says she can hear, I DIDN'T HEAR A WORD OF THE PROGRAM.
Evidently I just sit and watch out of habit.
I do a lot of things out of habit cause I don't remember how to do them consciously.

Getting old does have it's perks though. I get left alone cause it is too hard for family to communicate with me. :drinks:

Life is good

JeffinNZ
07-23-2012, 06:10 PM
You must be yelling. I can read this at the bottom of the world.

Ajax
07-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Well I aint that old but 17 years on flight decks in the navy has me hearing a nice solid buzz. My wife is constantly asking me to turn the TV down and if I aint facing ya i can't make out the words you say. i see great some days with my glasses lol. I can't wait to get old lol

Andy

Jim
07-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Speak up, guys, I can't hear ya'.

TCFAN
07-23-2012, 07:27 PM
If you are having trouble with the TV, sound to loud for the wife and not loud enough for you get a set of wireless ear phones that let you have the sound as loud as you want.The sending unit plugs in to the dish net receiver or the TV and you get stereo sound and can have the TV on mute.Works great. I like watching movies again.I can hear what is going on...........Terry

runfiverun
07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
ctrl and + at the same time makes things bigger too.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Internet Exploder, my mouse wheel is programmed to zoom in/out when one of the "control" keys is held down. The programming keeps shuffling things on the screen so you can see it all while zoomed, give that a shot. It stays like you put it until you exit that window. Gear

I've been doing this for about a year. up til I found this trick, the type on my laptop was so tiny...and I'd get eye strain after an hour of surfing. I was ready to get glasses, then found this trick...I love it...and
I don't have to yell !!!
Jon

Bad Water Bill
07-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Jim

can you hear me now?

Dang I AM getting old

Jim
07-24-2012, 05:35 AM
Yeah, Bill, go ahead!

Sasquatch-1
07-24-2012, 07:43 AM
If you are having trouble with the TV, sound to loud for the wife and not loud enough for you get a set of wireless ear phones that let you have the sound as loud as you want.The sending unit plugs in to the dish net receiver or the TV and you get stereo sound and can have the TV on mute.Works great. I like watching movies again.I can hear what is going on...........Terry

I thought of this. The only problem is when I plug head phones into my set it kills the speakers so no one else can hear. I have been considering gettin a new receiver that has duel speaker outlets that I can plug a headset into, and keep the audible sound, but the ones that allow this are $300 to $500 dollars. So my family will have to go deaf with me.

Also, Everytime I have gone to an ENT or an audioligist they tell me, with my kind of hearing loss, there is nothing that can be done.

largom
07-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Comforting to know that I am not in this boat alone. Knee's that pop and crack, eyes that can't see without glasses, and hearing aids that let you hear but not understand the words. Did I mention the "uncle arthur" in my knuckles, shoulders, and back. Just glad my trigger finger still works.

Larry

dragonrider
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM
My wife calls it selective hearing, she may be right. For watchin TV I use a pair Bose QC15 headphones, they are wonderful.

Reload3006
07-24-2012, 12:54 PM
If you didn't talk loud and writhe big a lot of folks like my self wouldn't be able to hear or see what your sayn.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-24-2012, 09:21 PM
![/SIZE]:bigsmyl2:

Bret4207
07-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Between jet engines, loud muscle cars, chainsaws, guns, etc. I've got poor hearing too. Not as bad as my family thinks though, I can hear them talking about stuff they don;t want me to know about as long as there isn't much background noise! The eyes, well, the world went fuzzy some time back. I've been saying I have to get some glasses for years, still getting by with 2 or 3x magnifiers for most stuff.

The curse of getting old. Youth is wasted on the young!

dragonrider
07-25-2012, 09:27 AM
"Youth is wasted on the young!" so true expecialy today when so many youth are just so wasted.

smoked turkey
07-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Like they say "If I knew I'd live to be this old I'd taken better care of myself" applies to me. I am afflicted with the hearing/seeing issues most old guys have. But wait, I am an old guy so I guess I am in good company. Too soon old too late smart also applies to me unfortunately. Reading these posts makes me once again glad I found this site. Its great. Thanks Jim for opening up this can.