PDA

View Full Version : Showing off a little with my mosin

ButterNutZ
07-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Well I spent all day Saturday at the range chopping down a bunch of timber to extend firing line out to 300 yards. After picking ticks off for 3 hours and washing up, I decided to try my beloved Mosin and Lyman 314299 on the new steel plates and though to make a video. It turned out great, almost every bullet can be seen arcing in to the target. They took forever to get there, and in the vid looks like some one just throwing rocks at it, thats how slow they are going.
Any who I figure you boys might enjoy seeing big, slow, heavy, but accurate 30cal slug banning away at steel plates.

http://youtu.be/rE3MpxY0pg8?hd=1

GabbyM
07-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Good fun there.
One thing I like about Unique loads in rifle is you can just keep shooting without making much barrel heat.

My 243 Win AI and 270 Win shoot very well with Unique. Those over bore case capacity calibers are hard to fill with rifle powder and not go over best accuracy speed before you get the powder to burn consistent.

JeffinNZ
07-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Fantastic. I reckon if you load up to 1600fps you will be better placed to up the hit rate. That will likely keep you supersonic most if not all the way.

ButterNutZ
07-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Gabby you are correct, with those light loads one can keep on shooting with out worrying about the barrel heat.

Jeff what if I went the other way and down loaded'em to be subsonic from the get got, you reckon that would help?

JeffinNZ
07-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Maybe but you're gonig to have to really prune that tree out yonder as you hit the branches at least once that I saw and a subsonic bullet will be diving much faster. Either way, really cool to watch. Enjoyed your video especially seeing the bullets in flight.

ButterNutZ
07-23-2012, 06:22 PM
You know what I'm gonna try both ways see what works better.
Yeap I hit that branch twice, hope it will be shot off here soon.

.22-10-45
07-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Looks like fun! But even with low pressure cast...you really should put some kind of eye protection on!...1 pierced primer could end it all.

Charlie Two Tracks
07-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Thanks for making the video. That was fun to watch.

skeet1
07-24-2012, 09:53 AM
ButterNutZ

Those are great rifles and great boolits. Looks like you have a good range to shoot at.
I noticed during one of your five shot series that you hit a branch in the foreground and I was wondering if maybe those branches were causing you trouble.
Nice video!
Ken

Hang Fire
07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
That was a very good video and thanks for posting.

I and many others have empathy for you trying to find the target and put sights on it in the dark shade. It is a difficult thing to do consistently.

ButterNutZ
07-24-2012, 06:33 PM
22-20-45 you are correct, I'll be sure to have'em on next time.

Charlie I'm glad you liked it. I still cant get over the ark that bullet travels, looks like 30 caliber mortar LOL.

skeet, yeap that branch is in the way, hopefully it wont last long once people start shooting at those plates.

Hang Fire thanks, maybe during winter, when all the leaves are gone it will be easier to see that dang steel. But on the other hand it makes for a good challenge.

Griz44mag
07-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Great video!
I too am a Mosin fan, have a WWII collection of every year except 1945. I have one Westinghouse made Mosin from 1917, and a couple of hex from '28 and '30. All of them shoot great and are a lot of fun. I really like your shooting place, I can only get out to 200 yards where I shoot. I would love to stretch out to 300+ and see if I can still do it...

ButterNutZ
07-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Great video!
I too am a Mosin fan, have a WWII collection of every year except 1945. I have one Westinghouse made Mosin from 1917, and a couple of hex from '28 and '30. All of them shoot great and are a lot of fun. I really like your shooting place, I can only get out to 200 yards where I shoot. I would love to stretch out to 300+ and see if I can still do it...

Griz that sounds like a great collection!
I have been a member for only 2 years at this club, started going to the meetings and raised a question about clearing the woods for 300 yard targets. Every body agreed to have it, but no one wanted to actually do it. So I got club to approve money for the targets and schedule a work day. When steel showed up, I grabbed the chainsaw and went to work, seven hours and 100 ticks later I had my 300 yard steel plates set up.

Ole
07-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Great video, thanks for sharing.

You know: I don't know you and I'm not a person that likes to tell a grown man what to do, but I'd get in the habit of using eye protection when shooting if I were you.

No offense intended. :drinks:

ButterNutZ
07-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Ole Im bad about that, and you are right, need to get in the habit of doing it.

Hardcast416taylor
07-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Ole Im bad about that, and you are right, need to get in the habit of doing it.

People say I am some sort of fanatic for insisting on eye & ear coverage on my little range for any kind of shooting. Remember the Master range officer in the sky won`t insist on such usage, that`s up to you.Robert