PDA

View Full Version : Question about Friendswood 125 gr L-RN bullet for 9mm

joec
07-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Ok here goes I have 500 of these http://www.friendswoodbullet.com/9mm_125grain_RN/p132676_306869.aspx and the only bullet I can find that matches it is the Speer 4602 which I found in an older book I have. Now I loaded a few up to test out with BP-38 but not sure of what the O.A.L. should be since the older book calls for C.O.L. (I assume they are the same) of 1.130" which is how I made them. However their is a shoulder on this bullet a bit higher than the edge of the case but I locked the few I made at the 1.130" length and used a Lee FCD. Now the ammo cycles fine through all my 9mm semi autos with no bullet set back. I'm just not familiar with this bullet but for the price and I've used their 45 ACP and Colt bullets before with great results I went with their 125 gr L-RN. Oh all of these are strictly for plinking or target shooting not SD.

ku4hx
07-23-2012, 07:07 AM
It looks pretty much like all the commercial 9mm 124 RNL boolits I have bought from time to time. Many commercial boolit makers use the same molds and sell under their particular brand name.

I loaded them with the case mouth just a hair below the shoulder. Actual COL is not important IF they will fit in your magazine and function properly in your gun(s). Take note of your COL for future use. Maybe make a reference dummy round. I checked mine and they are 1.125".

Several years ago, I bought several hundred of this at a local gun show and they actually performed very well in my BHP and my buddy's TZ75. At the time I bought my last batch (300) I paid $6 for them. Times have changed.

joec
07-23-2012, 09:57 AM
It looks pretty much like all the commercial 9mm 124 RNL boolits I have bought from time to time. Many commercial boolit makers use the same molds and sell under their particular brand name.

I loaded them with the case mouth just a hair below the shoulder. Actual COL is not important IF they will fit in your magazine and function properly in your gun(s). Take note of your COL for future use. Maybe make a reference dummy round. I checked mine and they are 1.125".

Several years ago, I bought several hundred of this at a local gun show and they actually performed very well in my BHP and my buddy's TZ75. At the time I bought my last batch (300) I paid $6 for them. Times have changed.

Thanks and I did make some up with a few dummies. I moved my dies for a Lee Pro to a Lee Classic and spent a lot of time getting the bullet seat die set so that I got the 1.130 the book called for. I did my crimp the Lee FCD by the way. I tried the dummies in my 9mm all loaded then made enough to fill one magazine, 18 rounds to test fire before making any more. I loaded these use RWS brass, CCI SPP and 4gr of BP-38.

ku4hx
07-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks and I did make some up with a few dummies. I moved my dies for a Lee Pro to a Lee Classic and spent a lot of time getting the bullet seat die set so that I got the 1.130 the book called for. I did my crimp the Lee FCD by the way. I tried the dummies in my 9mm all loaded then made enough to fill one magazine, 18 rounds to test fire before making any more. I loaded these use RWS brass, CCI SPP and 4gr of BP-38.

You and I just might be the two luckiest loaders in the known universe; I've always gotten good accuracy, no keyholing and little to no leading with these boolits. The only reason I abandoned their use was strictly economics. Once prices began to rise, it became cost effective for me to cast my own. I get equally good results with my home thrown 9mm boolits of similar weight.

joec
07-23-2012, 10:44 AM
You and I just might be the two luckiest loaders in the known universe; I've always gotten good accuracy, no keyholing and little to no leading with these boolits. The only reason I abandoned their use was strictly economics. Once prices began to rise, it became cost effective for me to cast my own. I get equally good results with my home thrown 9mm boolits of similar weight.

When I retire next year (waiting for my wife to retire also) I will move out to the country a bit and start casting myself. At the moment we are part owners and the operators of a self storage business and live in a small apartment at the sight. Even though I have a small fenced in back yard it would still leave us open to a serious law suit if someone came in and got hurt so not now.

I have been buying 45 Colt in 250 gr and 200 gr from them now since I started and just ordered my first 45 acp 230 gr from them. Can't beat their prices on bullets as I've sure looked.