PDA

View Full Version : Hunting boolits

lead chucker
07-22-2012, 07:41 PM
This is my current hunting bullet it's a Lyman 311299 with a shallow HP this was through 1/2 inch ply wool 10 inch of water then 1/2 inch ply wood at 45 yards muzzle velocity of 1780 fps. Seems to expand pretty good. It's 50/50 WW to soft lead with 2% tin added to the soft stuff, air cooled. Do you guys thing that this is too much expansion?http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_12401500c8f999c7d3.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6009)

lead chucker
07-22-2012, 07:42 PM
This was with my little 308 win.

Larry Gibson
07-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Looks good to me!

Larry Gibson

white eagle
07-22-2012, 08:16 PM
are you kidding looks like the envy of all the other little boolits on the play ground
seriously that there is bout perfect :drinks:

Blammer
07-22-2012, 09:01 PM
oh yea, that looks good!

runfiverun
07-22-2012, 09:26 PM
will it do it without the ply wood?

lead chucker
07-22-2012, 09:42 PM
I will have to test with out ply wood but not sure how to catch the bullet after. I got this alloy mix from Larry a while back and now have taken the time to try to test it out. I shot my spring bear with this alloy at 1600 fps but now have gotten good results with IMR 4227 23 gr. And a bit more speed. My next test I hope will be a Sitka black tail. It opens august 1.

lead chucker
07-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I figured the ply wood would kind of replicate the hide and shoulder of a deer and the water would be the lungs.

btroj
07-22-2012, 10:37 PM
What more are you looking for? That looks good to me.

runfiverun
07-22-2012, 11:34 PM
figured that's what you were replicating.
i know the alloy works. :lol:
i was just wondering if you had simulated a no-bone shot.
wet newspaper will replicate hide.

gofastman
07-22-2012, 11:46 PM
I will have to test with out ply wood but not sure how to catch the bullet after.
I would guess a bucket or milk jug full of rubber mulch should do it without deforming the bullet much

lead chucker
07-23-2012, 02:25 AM
I could just shoot through another box with a plastic bag full of water with carpet on each end and then have another card board box full of water to Ty and catch it and mabe a bucket full of cushion foam just in case. Fun stuff isn't it.especially when you get the results you want.

fcvan
07-23-2012, 02:53 AM
I'm thinking water jugs backed by a cardboard box of crumb rubber. Someone else wrote about using 1/2 gallon ziplock bags full of water suspended in a box so that the boolit went through x amount of water bags.

On another note, I'd like to see what the boolit looked like that Lead Chucker took his bear with. That would give a real representation of how that boolit did at 1600 fps.

I recently started shooting cast through an 03-A3 and it has been a hoot. The only boolit molds I have are a Saeco 321 (100 gr RN), a Lee C309-120 RN, and a Lee C309-150 RF. Although the 150 is doing well I'm thinking 200 would be better. This rifle keeps 3 under at dime at 100 yards with factory so working up a cast load to match that will be the goal. Frank

lead chucker
07-23-2012, 11:38 AM
I would have liked to see that bullet too but it was a through and through. It went in through the chest and out the back. She was standing when I shot her.

jhalcott
07-23-2012, 03:39 PM
I've used a similar bullet at a bit higher velocity. My alloy was 2/3 ww and 1/3 pure lead. I used a handgun(XP100) in .308 caliber. A Maine buck took about 3 steps before it fell. I never found THAT bullet either. Shot was under 100 yards. Lee mold and bullets were hollow pointed by hand!

**oneshot**
07-24-2012, 09:13 PM
I have used the large cat litter jugs filled with plain old jello. I just mix it using 2/3 the water. Sets up into what they call (knocks blocks, or something like that), pretty close to lung tissue. I then set a few filled with just water behind it to catch the bullet.

onesonek
07-25-2012, 11:09 AM
I have used the large cat litter jugs filled with plain old jello. I just mix it using 2/3 the water. Sets up into what they call (knocks blocks, or something like that), pretty close to lung tissue. I then set a few filled with just water behind it to catch the bullet.

I haven't tried it yet, but seen similar,,,to a point. Water and saw dust, with enough Knox Gelatin (used for home made jelly and such) to set. Poured in good quality small kitchen/bathroom size garbage bags while in 5 gal. pail for a mold. Once set you can pull out of the pail and put as many needed in a row for penetration test. Only draw back I see, is a good sized spare fridge for setting 4-6 pails worth.
Maybe 1-2 pails be enough for most expansion test, and then use a dry sawdust column behide to stop the boolit without adding any deformatiom?

Other than that, I would say the OP's boolit looks pretty good.

375RUGER
07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
You shot through a bear with the same?
I think that is great performance, I wouldn't change a thing.

I made a trough with lexan sides and bottom. it is sized to hold quart bags of water, gallon bags sideways. The bags are cheap. It also holds gallon milk jugs. I have used different sorts of home made ballistic medium in it. wet shreaded paper, masa paste, wheat bran paste (50# is only $12 at my local feed store and it's bulky so the sack is large)

Me not you
07-25-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm planning to buy a mold for a hollow point 240gr .338 boolit.
It will be cast of water quenched WW.
The loads I'm using are closer to 1900fps.
Question is, will these expand even with the hollow point?

waksupi
07-25-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm planning to buy a mold for a hollow point 240gr .338 boolit.
It will be cast of water quenched WW.
The loads I'm using are closer to 1900fps.
Question is, will these expand even with the hollow point?

I think you are better off loosing the hollow point, and leaving a nice flat point on the boolit.

John in WI
07-25-2012, 10:04 PM
that looks like text book to me! And the penetration is fine--an inch of plywood and 10 inches of water.

I'm actually kind of surprised the plywood (at least on the exit side) wouldn't have blown that pretty mushroom right off of there. But it seems like it held together perfectly.

lead chucker
07-26-2012, 12:15 AM
When I shot threw the plywood water then plywood I had another piece of plywood backing it, it shot through and put a big dent in the third pice which was right up against it that might have helped hold it together. The box it was all in exploded when the bullet went through. It was more dramatic than I thought it would be. I went out to test it again with a little bit harder bullet and had the same results but the box exploded and the bullet bounced off the third pice of ply wood never to be seen again.I even had a bucket filled with foam right behind it to cath it if it went all the way through. I know a real hard bullet will go through a lot I have shot through 3/8 mild steel with my 170 gr flat nose het treated. But I thing this shallow cup hp 200 gr will kill deer quicker. And make it easier to track if it doesn't go down right away. I shot a deer with my 44 rifle with the lee 310 gr and when you hit a deer behind the shoulder with that you got blood shooting out of both sides he didn't go but about 15-20 steps. Those are deer steps. So this soft hp in my 308 win should make big red fountain holes.

lead chucker
07-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Correction to the mild steel it was 1/4 inch. I was impressed I though it would make a dent splat. It was a hanging swingy target I use for pistol. I won't shoot my rifle at it any more.