PDA

View Full Version : Why does it always cost you?

Beekeeper
07-22-2012, 02:52 PM
I have been reading (first mistake) up on P/P and BP.
All the Mathews books.
Mostly to pass time but you never know when you will garner something new that you skipped over before.
I am gonna have to stop doing it as every time I do it costs me money.
Reading about boolit size and weight versus rifling twist is gonna cost me a new mold and sizer, so far. Expect it will cost more before it is finished.

Reading about compressing powder charge will probably cost me a new press as I only load one at a time so a press for compression and one for seating the boolit, maybe one for slightly crimping the brass.

Does it ever end? Don't have much space left in my garage.Maybe a dedicated reloading/casting building?
Wonder how many square feet I can get the HOA to approve? Hmmm

beekeeper

oneokie
07-22-2012, 02:59 PM
You ever heard of a cheap education? IMO, the more expensive, the longer it stays with you.

Wayne Smith
07-22-2012, 03:04 PM
I did not loose a son, I gained a reloading room. You need to plan what you want to do and then buy intelligently and purpose fully to accomplish that. Being both ADHD and a little OCD to compensate, I am scared of any rapid fire reloading. I'll make my mistakes one at a time, thanks. However, I love my Bair Brown Bair three hole H type press. Mounts on top of the bench, I can do three operations at once, and it takes no more room than any press, or very little.

Decide what you want to do and then shop wisely.

DCM
07-22-2012, 03:04 PM
You ever heard of a cheap education? IMO, the more expensive, the longer it stays with you.

Confusion say: "I think you correct again."

EDK
07-22-2012, 03:48 PM
I've got the Paul Matthews library also...lots of good reading. BUT remember that some of the information can be a bit dated. You might want to compare what he writes to information from Randolph Wright's LOADING AND SHOOTING PAPER PATCH BULLETS, A BEGINNER'S GUIDE and Orville Loomer's little book from SHILOH SHARPS. Mike Venturino has a chapter on paper patch in SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST. More reading!

Pay attention to what Kenny Wasserberger, Powderburnerr, Lead Pot and others have posted here. They too will get you headed in the right direction and save you some yankee dollars and a lot of time.

I've got a 12X24 shed for my reloading equipment, gun safe and other toys. It is close to completed outside, but the wiring hasn't been completed and needs insulation and inside wall covering. (It was a fill-in job for the under-employed step son who is in training in Texas and headed for Afghanistan.) Since Friday was the first day under 90 in three weeks, I could use an air conditioner too. The work bench has a ROCK CHUCKER, two 550B DILLONS and my STAR. I need more bench room to set up a vise and other stuff.

You'll always accumulate more stuff to fill space up...fact of life for most of us.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

firefly1957
07-22-2012, 08:53 PM
BeeKeeper I am assuming you are talking Black powder , What caliber?

I drop powder though a 36" tube place card wad on powder then press it about 40 pounds by hand no press needed. If I just pour pwder in my 50-3 1/4 Sharps case it will hold 110 grs under the bullet wad and grease cookie and give less accurate results. Using the drop tube brings the charge to 150 grs. and better accuracy . I have also found large pistol primers work great for black powder no need to blast the grains apart with a magnum primer. FG has given ME better results in both 45-70 and the Sharps the 45-70 is loaded down as the bore is pitted using the old carbine load it would actually read 45-55-405.

Bad Water Bill
07-23-2012, 02:50 AM
BeeKeeper

Now you have been here for almost 4 years with almost 1400 posts and you ain't learned yet that you will never stop learning,needing more stuff and lots more room. :kidding:

JeffinNZ
07-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Well you could spend your time and money chasing wild wimmin' but I'll tell you now, the shooting is gunna get you a whole lot less trouble and more satisfaction..... LOL.

big dale
07-23-2012, 05:38 AM
When I was going to the university back in the 70's, I once told my mother that after I graduated I was going to build a one bedroom house with a 4 car garage.....within a year I realized that was not anywhere near enough garage space.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

DCM
07-24-2012, 05:06 PM
When I was going to the university back in the 70's, I once told my mother that after I graduated I was going to build a one bedroom house with a 4 car garage.....within a year I realized that was not anywhere near enough garage space.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

VERY large pole barn with a fully equipped travel trailer next to it would suit me just fine.
I don't think the wife would go for it though.

Chicken Thief
07-24-2012, 05:23 PM
1) Read
2) Shoot and experiment a lot, 'till it works
3) Compare

Shootin's way more fun than readin'

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-25-2012, 10:59 AM
there are 2 kinds of education , the expensive kind and the painful kind and sometimes you get both in the same lesson expensive and painful

WARD O
07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
A good turrent press such as Reddings can be really handy in developing black powder loads.

Once you have a load selected, a single stage does a nice job as quantity increases.

As I neck size or FL size at the beginning, I am able to seat all PP boolits by hand and do not crimp.

ward

popper
07-27-2012, 04:06 PM
big dale - I wanted a pond with a track around it, big shop at one end with a cot and fridge in the back room. Doesn't ever happen.