PDA

View Full Version : 22 rimfire observation

Maineboy
05-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I have a scoped Marlin 39A that will shoot 10 rounds of both Winchester Super X and Federal Champion HV ammo into 3/4" or less at 50 yards, but can't keep them in 5" at 100 yards. What gives? Are these groups screwed up because the bullets are going subsonic? Am I expecting too much? Do I have to invest in match ammo to shoot at long distances? Should I be trying standard velocity ammunition? I'm having trouble finding some in this area.

Scrounger
05-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I have a scoped Marlin 39A that will shoot 10 rounds of both Winchester Super X and Federal Champion HV ammo into 3/4" or less at 50 yards, but can't keep them in 5" at 100 yards. What gives? Are these groups screwed up because the bullets are going subsonic? Am I expecting too much? Do I have to invest in match ammo to shoot at long distances? Should I be trying standard velocity ammunition? I'm having trouble finding some in this area.

I think the word you should be using is "transonic". There are usually no problems as long as a bullet either stays above the speed of sound between muzzle and target, OR it stays under the speed of sound; it is passing through the speed of sound that is a problem. Try standard velocity ammo instead of high velocity. A lot of target shooters I used to know carried their ammo in ice chests to keep it cold and further retard the velocity. I found that PMC Target, about a dollar a box, shot as good as I could hold.

Mk42gunner
05-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Another good one is Winchester T-22. These used to shoot better in my best friends Mossberg target rifle than Eley Tenex.

The last ones I bought were $14.00 a brick at the Big Reno Gunshow four years ago.

Remember that the oldtimers are supposed to have held 22 matches out to 200 yards. I believe that was before high speed 22's came out.

Good luck,

Robert