PDA

View Full Version : IWB Holster"

Tom-ADC
07-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Any body carry using a inside the waistband holster? If so what do you carry?
I'm having a debate with my brother.

DCM
07-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Crossbreed super tuck & mini tuck.
Mini for Hot weather/ minimal clothing with smaller pistol.

27judge
07-21-2012, 11:56 AM
galco with a kahr pm9. Waiting on a fusion 1911 45 and a milt sparks vm. tks ken

L Ross
07-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Crossbreed super tuck w/Glock Model 36.

Duke

nicholst55
07-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Lobo Gun Leather IWB Belt Loop holster and IWB mag pouch, with a 5" 1911.

alrighty
07-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I have tried several holsters from several makers.The most comfortable by far that I have found is the Milt Sparks Versa-MaxII.It is however not the fastest to draw from.I have tried a couple of the hybrid kydex /leather holsters from Comp-Tac.Here again the leather backed Minotaur is the most comfortable but I liked the CTAC better for the speed.Most of my problems with IWB holsters is due to my being fat.I even bought a raven concealment that can be converted for OWB/IWB for a slender build I would find it hard to beat , for me it just moves to much for my liking.I have also tried Kramers , good quality but not stiff enough backing leather to allow for a fast draw.I have settled on two holsters for my usual two carry guns.A Milt Sparks VMII for my 1911 and a Comp-Tac infidel for my M&P 40.That is another comprimize in itself choosing the gun , I can shoot much better with the 1911 but it is nice carrying 46 rounds with the gun and two spare mags with the M&P.I will say after this past weekend in a gun class shooting over 600 rounds I am starting to like the M&P and Love the Comp-Tac Infidel holster.However I still prefer the old 1911 holstered in the Sparks with two spare mags.Only 25 rounds but I know I can make a precision shot if needed.That is my take and your mileage may vary.Bottom line is to try as many as you can to see what you like because the first rule to being in a gunfight is to bring a gun.

mongo
07-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Crossbreed super tuck with Glock23,

danski26
07-21-2012, 12:36 PM
High noon holsters "public secret w/straps" Glock 36.

Trey45
07-21-2012, 01:08 PM
I just got a roughside horsehide IWB from Double D Custom Leather in todays mail for my Caracal C. It fits very well, has a fairly aggressive forward cant that puts the grip of the pistol right in your hand when you reach for it. It's an adjustable for right/left carry and has three positions for depth inside the waistband. For the Caracal C I need to carry it on the middle position. Granted this is a brand new holster for me so I can't really give a fair long term appraisal of it, but at first blush, I think it's a keeper.
Normally I carry a J frame in a pocket holster, but recently I've been carrying a S&W 9mm Shield in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. The more I see on the news how far society is going down the flusher, the more apt I am to carry something in a high capacity bottom feeder.

Charley
07-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Never could find one I liked 100%, so I started making my own.

Here's a mini for a Colt Mustang...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_2314500ae6381ae50.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5989)

Plate plinker
07-21-2012, 02:31 PM
IWB Nossar for Glock 23, now I am making my own also, but just getting started as it time permits.

MADE OWB for khar P9 and g23

Looks pretty good charley. Do you machine stitch or hand stitch?

archmaker
07-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Outside. Carry a SR9c and a full size 1911. I modify my clothing to carry what I want, how I want. Recently in the Houston heat have gone to Guaybera and the like shirts, I wear a 3X shirt (need to lose some weight) and with that type of shirt you I could probably hide a Ruger SBH with a 7 1/2 barrel. :)

MtGun44
07-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Sparks Versamax II or Watch Six (near identical) are my normal carry holsters for a 1911
Ltwt SS Commander. VERY comfortable and easy to conceal with any cover
garment, including a loose fitting T-shirt.

Wearing it right now.

Bill

BD
07-21-2012, 04:40 PM
+1 on the Versa Max II
BD

bobthenailer
07-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Galco IWB for Kahr CW45 & PM9

Tom-ADC
07-21-2012, 08:20 PM
What do you think of small revolvers like a Smith J frame for IWB? Or are they better suited to auto's?

Don Purcell
07-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Sparks IWB Summer Special for 4" N frame 44 magnum for around the farm use.

danski26
07-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Tom, I find my Smith mod 38 slips into a pocket in a pair of shorts and on my ankle if I wear pants better than an IWB with either. In the pocket I do use a pocket holster.

Charley
07-21-2012, 09:19 PM
IWB Nossar for Glock 23, now I am making my own also, but just getting started as it time permits.

MADE OWB for khar P9 and g23

Looks pretty good charley. Do you machine stitch or hand stitch?

Hand stitch. Mrs. Charley's pocket holster for her P-32...again, couldn't find one she liked, so I designed and made one.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_2314500b5528bbda4.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5993)

375RUGER
07-21-2012, 09:23 PM
IWB- for the 1911 I designed my own and had a local holster maker put it together.
IWB- for snubby 38, I designed my own and made it myself.
These are the 2 I carry the most, one or the other daily.
I do have a shoulder holster but only carry in it a few times a year.

bob208
07-21-2012, 09:53 PM
bianchi 100 sz 14. browning hipower. have carried it about 15 years now.

Kraschenbirn
07-22-2012, 07:28 AM
3" SP101 .357 in one of Uncle Mike's IWB 'pouches'. Carried in one of their ballistic nylon holsters for close to 20 years and only recently switched to one of their synthetic suede numbers.

Bill

27judge
07-22-2012, 06:59 PM
shown my pm9 with a galco and my 1911 with a milt sparks summer heat.Also look at the difference in size in these two guns .The pm9 is a dream to carry so liite you dont even know its there.Not so with the 1911 its heavy but i prefer to shoot it over the pm9.Im looking forword to a fusion 1911 by Bob Serva and a milt sparks vm2, looks like 4-5 months for the fusion and 5-6 months for the vm2.Ordered them back in may, they will be my carry for all around daily use . tks ken

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Kholster crescent moon, with a Ruger LC9

the kholster is very comfortable and you can usually have it in a week Jimmy in St. Louise makes them great warrantee

i also have a Alabama Holsters Pocket holster , works very good for cargo shorts and times when it is hot and you still want very good cover.
my shorts have the cargo pockets over the main side pocket the gun and holster go in the side pocket , with spare mag ,cell phone and knife in the cargo pocket over the top as cover there is no way to tell what is underneath my wallet goes in the cargo pocket on the other side so both sides show equal bulge , the Alabama pocket hostler is great but it took some waiting for it as he gets back logged sometimes.

a j frame snubbie would work well in the pocket but as long as your pants are a bit over sized it would work in a IWB

a Glock 26 or 27 works IWB a J-frame is the same width but only at the cylinder thinner every where else and not as sharp of edges

grip length is the hardest part to hide IWB but if your cloths and hostler are right you can hide a lot

you can hide a Glock 22 if your willing to work at it a bit , a under shirt and a over sized Hawaiian shirt with a good IWB holster will hide most anything

What is the debate?

Moonie
07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
For my full size and officer size 1911 I use the same IWB, a Minotaur M-TAC, very comfortable, more so with the officer.

Tom-ADC
07-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm a revolver guy, brother semi auto's I'm saying either would be okay using a IWB, hence my mentioning the S&W J frame, a hammerless.

David2011
07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Depends on the season. In cooler coat weather, a 1911 in an old Safariland OWB holster with a thumb break strap that goes between the hammer and firing pin. It's comfortable and adds an extra level of safety for cocked and locked carry. A kydex paddle holster is almost as good.

Hot weather- IWB Kel-Tec P-40 with Kel-Tec's stainless over the pants carry clip and no holster. I Parkerized the slide to tolerate the body contact. The P-40 is the S&W .40 version of the 9mm P-11. At 12 ounces it's kinda vicious to shoot but it's the thinnest to carry of anything I own since it doesn't need a holster.

If I have to tuck a shirt in, I carry a 5 shot .38 in a pocket holster.

David

Old Ironsights
07-23-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't like an IWB that isn't "tuckable". Seems to defeat the purpose IMO.

I have a Galco "King Tuck" that works well for my fullsize 1911.

I also have a tuckable Kydex holster made by a now defunct maker that works well.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/9f74606e.jpg

There is an SP101 in this picture (as well as several other guns... including the NAA Guardian making the back pocket sag...)

Another option I use frequently with the SP101 is the "clip draw" holsterless IWB product. It's "semituckable" and works particularly well with shorts & a t-shirt.

I carried a Glock in a CTAC for quite a while too...

Roosters
07-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Bianchi Model 100 Professional & Glock 36 in the summer.

LabGuy
07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Horsehide Crossbreed super tuck with a 5” 1911.

375RUGER
07-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Update since my previous post.
My wife has been needing a good carry rig, and she got a Desantis Sof-tuck and talked me into getting one also. Both for 1911s.
They arrived at home the day I made the other post. So I started wearing it around town. It is pretty nice. I like the ability to tuck in my shirt with it. It concealed really well.
I've worn it strong side and cross draw and it works well in both conditions.
And I can carry my full size 1911 now.

Tom-ADC
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
I picked up a De Santis Tuk and with a Taurus hammerless Model 85 I'm convinced my brother is right and I need a semi auto, even as small as the 85 is just like a J frame Smith the cylinder is just to fat to be comfortable IWB or my pocket.
Only two auto's I have are a 1911 and a Hi-Power I'm going to look for a compact semi auto something in 40 S&W, or 9mm maybe even a .380.
I do have a Bianchi holster that fits the 85 perfectly and with a light jacket hides well and easy to get at.

Beau Cassidy
07-25-2012, 10:33 PM
I have been carrying a Glock 27 in a Mitch Rosen IWB- can't remember the model number but it is their cheapest one. It carries better than the kydex Galco. By that I mean it carries lower on the hip which I like. Suprisingly, the gun carries better than my J-frame.

RKJ
07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Tom, I only carry semi's (a 1911 GM, OACP or a LCP) so I can't speak to the revolver carry. I've tried High Noon (Mr. Softy) Galco (pocket carry) and Winthrop Holsters and I find I can carry the Officers model pretty much as well as the LCP in the Winthrop IWB with just a T-shirt for covering. I would think your S&W would be a little more uncomfortable than a semi as the cylinder sticks out more than a pistol but I don't imagine it couldn't be gotten used to.

Tom-ADC
07-26-2012, 09:44 AM
There might be a holster that will be okay with the small J frames but I'm going to give up and look for some esle flat sided to carry.
RKJ what rate are/were you?

MtGun44
07-26-2012, 02:06 PM
After you carry for a while you find out that flat and thin is THE MOST important feature.\

Bill

RKJ
07-27-2012, 09:58 AM
There might be a holster that will be okay with the small J frames but I'm going to give up and look for some esle flat sided to carry.
RKJ what rate are/were you?

I retired in 99 as a RMC. Started out as DP (computer type) but by the time I retired the communications types were merged and the RM's were a larger bunch so we became Radiomen. :) I spent time on the Saratoga, Kennedy and retired off the Kearsarge; all ship's company.

About your holster and the auto if you can find an Officers Model 1911 (there are still a bunch out there) or any of the clones I think you will really like it. Mine is all steel but after 5 minutes (with that Winthrop holster) I don't notice it. A lot of people say the Summer Special is that way too, very comfortable, but I haven't tried it. Take care, Joe

Moonie
07-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Have to agree with RKJ, I recently purchased an officers 1911 as my full size was starting to wear on me, the officer, even with a steel frame, is noticeably lighter. I also don't notice it after 5 minutes.

Uncle Jimbo
07-27-2012, 06:03 PM
I use a Blackhawk, but I modded it a lot as can be seen. It took a while but I finally got it to where it is comfortable. Browning BDA 380.

JIMinPHX
07-27-2012, 08:13 PM
I tried several IWBs. I found them all to be uncomfortable. The only thing worse for me was an ankle holster. I normally go with a hip holster or a shoulder holster.

palmettosunshine
07-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Nope. I've never found an IWB holster that I found comfortable. The closest I've ever come was a kydex and leather combo for my CZ-75D PCR but even it was uncomfortable after awhile. After trying countless IWB holsters over the last 25 years I finally went OWB with my semi's and revolvers. I usually have a j-frame in my front pocket in a pocket holster and something else on my hip. Makes it tough in the summer in the deep south to say the least but I wear a suit or coat and tie most days and can get away with it. Just have to remember never to take my coat off at work!