PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip to Arizona

07-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Thinking to fly into Phoenix, rent a camper and see the sights. Tombstone, 4 corners, grand canyon, Sedona and the Hoover dam. Need to know about any don't miss places and any places to avoid. What's the weather like around Christmas time?

gwpercle
07-21-2012, 09:26 AM
I really enjoyed Tombstone..O K Corral , and all the historical stuff, the abandoned mining towns , mountians and desert were a sight for someone from Louisiana. But it can get HOT... at a service station the pumps were running slowly, man says they pump slow when the temp. exceeds 110 F, it was 114 F,
and the thermometer was in the shade. Christmas time should be cooler.

But I would love to go again, we discovered all sorts of neat mom and pop road side attractions and cafe/diners. Also enjoyed seeing ancient indian dwellings in one of the state parks.

This was 20 years ago but Tombstone and state park should still be there.

gary

Longwood
07-21-2012, 09:29 AM
What's the weather like around Christmas time?

Boring....

Sunny and nice.

Swimming and boating weather.

Just like MOST of the days of the year.

ShooterAZ
07-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Southern Arizona is beautiful around Christmas time. Northern Arizona on the other hand is high elevation, and you can expect cold weather at that time of year. Here in Flagstaff we are at 7000' elevation, and we get a LOT of snowfall, same with Grand Canyon. Still very beautiful...just prepare for cold weather at that time of year.

captbligh
07-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Been in the Phoenix area for 20+ years and worked for the State for about 10 years and got to travel all over Arizona. As previously mentioned, Sedona, Four Corners, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon are all in northern AZ and are going to be very cold with possibility of snow around Christmas time. Tombstone should be warmer, but nights will still be crisp. Make sure you stop in Big Nose Kate's saloon for a cold one, the Bird Cage is an interesting "museum", not very well organized, but lots of cool old stuff. Bisbee is just down the road and interesting if you want to look into the mining history of AZ (it's been taken over by the art crowd.) Make sure you stop at Canyon de Chelly (pronounced "Shay") when you're on the way to the Four Corners. Some of the most interesting, beautiful spots in AZ are between the tourist stops. Any hike will reveal breath taking spots. Avoid the chain restaurants and stop in some of the locally owned joints (there's a truck stop just off I-40, first exit west of Flagstaff that has awesome Chicken Fried Steak.) Sorry, don't remember the name.

Bad Water Bill
07-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Just be warned that some of the restaurants serve their food SLIGHTLY warm. Ask before you order.

As for Canyon De Chelly it is very interesting. You may be able to take the guided trip.

We took the long walk down from a parking lot past farm fields, flocks of sheep and thru the river for about 1/2 mile of refreshing sandy bottom refreshment till we hit the dwellings. Have not forgotten that trip even tho it is close to 40 years ago.

GRUMPA
07-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Just like ShooterAZ stated, I live east of Flagstaff say about 2 1/2hrs and I'm at just under 6k'. I would consider that time of year extremely unpredictable as far as the weather is concerned. Snowfall all though pretty to some can and well be a hazard to the ones driving in it. If you plan on enjoying the sites I would recommend the southern part of the state and like already mentioned the nights do get nippy. Most of this state a person can really enjoy themselves just driving around and taking it all in, but I've seen more of this state on foot or by sand rail when I had one, lots of history still remains all over this state.

Longwood
07-21-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a place in Meadview AZ which is up where the river dumps into the lake.
I have been Jetski'ing on the lake every first of January for over 14 years until two years ago.
The air can be pretty cold but the water is usually nice. The altitude of the lake is around 1200 feet at the cabin, it is closer to 4000.
I got snow in my face once but that was no biggy.
If it get's cold up there, it can be really cold but nothing like the people from the North East experience.
10 inches of snow will be long gone usually by the next morning.
AZ is desert country. Even when it is warm out, be prepared for cool weather. It is usually easy to deal with since it kinda comes in bursts.:drinks:

Don't try to see too many places at once. It will never happen and you will spend way too much time driving around. Which can be interesting but you will miss soooo much.
I can tell you over two weeks worth of cool stuff to see, just up near Kingman and Meadview alone.
It is a BIIIIG state expect a lot of travel time.

MtGun44
07-21-2012, 04:33 PM
If you like desert hiking . . . . .

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=5584

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=5585

Bill

Bob Krack
07-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Tombstone - one of the most melancholy graveyards I have ever seen. Sierra vista - an old mining town with mostly "company" houses if memory serves me correctly. Bisbee - one of the largest open pit (copper) mines in the country.

Where Bill is showing! I don't know where that is but I'd like it to be on my "bucket list".

Bob

Blacksmith
07-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Sedona is about 4000 feet and seldom gets more than a dusting of snow.

In southern AZ the Sonoran Desert Museum is a must. Also the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument in Coolidge. In Sedona take a Pink Jeep Tour, visit Montezuma's Castle, shop at Garlands both stores and on your way to Jerome, just a short side trip and you can stop for lunch at the only resturant in Page Springs.

MtGun44
07-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Havasupai Indian reservation. They have a web site. 10-12 mile desert hike in and out.
You can hire a horse or mule or, on some days, ride a helo in and/or out. A few
hotel rooms (non-deluxe) available in the village, most folks camp at the campground..
Not really cheap, but a BEAUTIFUL place if you are up for a desert adventure.

60 mile drive off of old Rt. 66 to a dead end at a parking lot on top of a cliff. Park and hike
straight down for 2500 ft, then out across the valley floor, and into a dry wash. 10 miles
later you come into the village. A few miles past the village is the first waterfall, and then
a ways on to the primitive tent campground.

The water is a bit chilly at times, but wonderful for swimming. I'll be going back one day,
for sure. Reservations required and hard to get.

Bill

07-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the info. This trip is a once in a lifetime vacation for Wifey and I and our almost grown children. Is northern Arizona out of the question at Christmas time or is the weather just something to watch out for. In NE NC 4 inches of snow shuts down everything for at least a day. I know that in other areas highway departments are more equipped to handle snow. As long as we don't crash and burn, snow will be part of the adventure.

Bad Water Bill
07-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Having spent my entire life in the snow belt I am quite familiar with driving in the snow.

The absolute worst drive I ever had was Easter week in northern AZ.

A total whiteout for hundreds of miles on I 40. I could not see much further than the hood of the car.

The radio kept saying DO NOT STOP DRIVING, FIND AN EXIT.

That is exactly what I did.

The trip was from Flagstaff to Gallup N M. It felt like a 400 hour drive.

Put your head INSIDE of a pillow case and try driving is the best way I could describe it.

GRUMPA
07-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the info. This trip is a once in a lifetime vacation for Wifey and I and our almost grown children. Is northern Arizona out of the question at Christmas time or is the weather just something to watch out for. In NE NC 4 inches of snow shuts down everything for at least a day. I know that in other areas highway departments are more equipped to handle snow. As long as we don't crash and burn, snow will be part of the adventure.

Traveling during the Christmas season and the weather is not something that's chiseled in stone around here. It can and will change in minutes without warning and just 1 wreck on the I-40 will cause a traffic delay for hours. From Flagstaff to the New Mexico border can be considered no-mans land, winds can be very gusty to say the least and the big-rigs have to pull over and wait it out, some have flipped on there sides.

Just as Bad Water Bill mentioned about the white out conditions, it happens where I am frequently to the point I can't see the chicken coop 40' from the back patio. The wife and I don't like driving so it doesn't bother us 1 bit, we just sit and enjoy it, we don't mind the snow really.

A limitation for you will be what it is your driving around, RV or some other large vehicle will be a limiting factor, the winds that can develop will treat it like a sail on a sail boat. That stretch of I-40 does get some pretty good wind going through it.

On some years it really isn't bad and your not going to experience any bad weather at all when your here, I live a good 30min drive south of the I-40 real close to the Petrified Forest to give you a reference and some years are worse than others.

Take into account the vast distance between town/cities in the Eastern part of Arizona. There's a mighty big distance between Flagstaff and Winslow and from Winslow to Hollbrook, which is why they recommend not stopping on the highway during bad weather but getting the heck off of it.

Best advice I can give you is to plan your trip well and by that have a good map with you. By some odd chance you do get into bad weather know your options before you find out you have no options.

Blacksmith
07-22-2012, 10:23 AM
In Arizona the winter weather is very dependent on the elevation. The AZ snow bowl is in Flagstaff but Sedona about 30 miles away seldom gets more than a dusting, my parents lived there for 25 years. The difference is the elevation with Flag more than 2000 feet higher than Sedona. Plan your trip to avoid going up on the Mogollon Rim
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim
and you should have no trouble with winter weather in the rest of AZ. Keep an eye on the weather reports because out there they tell you the elevation that will be affected as in snow at 6000 feet and higher.

Longwood
07-22-2012, 10:24 AM
If I were on Vacation in AZ, why on earth would I want to get on I-40.
Maybe an occasional hop to an exit to a more interesting road.
Surprises happen weather wise, but usually it is "Boring, Sunny and Nice".
The weather would be the last of my worries.

Mal Paso
07-22-2012, 11:43 AM
If you visit the Grand Canyon or want to hike northern Az in the winter get Ice Traction Devices for your shoes. Snow around the Grand Canyon gets trampled and refrozen into ice and having good footing next to that big a hole.......... Cabelas is in Phoenix, you can spend a day and still miss something. Free except food, the shooting arcade, and whatever you can't live without buying..

Oak Creek Canyon North of Sedona Last Christmas.

MtGun44
07-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Wow, winter....... I don't think the Havasupi trip would be nearly as much fun!

Bill

07-23-2012, 06:08 AM
How does this sound? With the RV and a full week we can watch the weather and adjust our schedule.

gmsharps
07-23-2012, 06:43 AM
To do Arizina in a week that would be tough. Depending on your interest as you head towards Tucson you could stop at old Tucson and see the movie props for a lot of the old westerns and you would be going through the Saguaro national forest which has the only that I am aware of Saguaro cactus population in the US. In Tucson you could also see the boneyard of old aircraft that are stored for future use and or disposal. On the eaast side of Tucson is Mr. T's truck stop that has the best deep dish apple pie I have ever had and with a scoop of vanilla icecream on top makes it unbeatable. As you continue on to Tombstone it is really commercialized now days but the old charm is still there. If you had any interest in fire agate there is a family run shop where the husband does the mining and poishing and the wife does the silver work and selling. They keep the best in their shop and export the rest. Boot Hill is just outside of town and is a must stop. If you hear any shooting it is the Tombstone shooting club just down the hill from boot hill. Depending on your time Chochises stronghold is not to far away. Like some of the others mentioned there are small towns all along the way and have a charm of their own. To much to see in a week but it may keep you wanting to go back.

gmsharps

Bad Water Bill
07-23-2012, 07:03 AM
If you are going over the xmas break you should contact some folks here and find out where to confirm that a supplier of RVs is reputable.

The last time I rented an RV in Phoenix there was 0 way AZ had of protecting you or doing anything to the folks that provided UNSAFE vehicles. After a 1 week trip I had 2 full pages single spaced of violations and major complaints.

Yes I made many phone calls to the state capitol complaining and asking for help.

At that time (25 years ago) I just had to bight the bullet and move on.

My trip took place in April, not a big tourist time.

Over Xmas might already be booked by now so start doing your homework.

I would not want any member of our family here to have to go thru the week I did so be warned there are some snakes out there.

I am sere some things have changed since then BUT.

Echo
07-23-2012, 12:27 PM
. On the eaast side of Tucson is Mr. T's truck stop that has the best deep dish apple pie I have ever had and with a scoop of vanilla icecream on top makes it unbeatable.

gmsharps

And also the best Cherry pie in town. And if in Tucson, figure in a day for the Pima Air & Space Museum, 3rd largest in the US, and the largest non-governmental Air & Space Museum in the world. Around 300 airplanes, of which about 150 are outdoors. I work there (volunteer), drive a tram. Lots of onesies and twosies in the Museum, as well as a B-36, Air Force One, SR-71, &cetera, &cetera.

And Christmas in Southern Az is really nice. My son's college roommate returned from Christmas vacation, and they washed Jim's car in bathing suits, in early January!

If you figure on making the Museum, give me a shout. I may be able to comp you in...

oldgeezershooter
07-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Don't forget Lake Powell!

07-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Snow or no snow. Still working on the RV or rental car. Have heard there might be some sights where a camper can't go and about cheap rooms around Vegas. As the trip gets closer I'll send some PM's. Thanks to all.

41 mag fan
07-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Stay clear of the border unless you're wanting to go south

leadman
07-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Karchner Caverns in Southern Az is great. It is a living cave that you enter thru air locks. IIRC about a 4 hour tour. Where have you heard that before??

Also gas stations can be far apart, especially for an RV so fill up at half a tank. There are many mountain climbs on the highways and these really suck the gas. My MH gets 9 on the flat, 5 going up the mountains.

Alot of open spaces to pull over and spend the night if you want. Also many RV parks around if you want to plug in and be a little more secure.
Jerome is an old mining town turned artists haven but it is a "nice" drive up the mountains. Can also get to Prescott the back way by going thru Jerome.
If you want to see Meteor crater take the highway through Payson and you will have a beautiful drive and probably see some elk.
Also the Mogollon Rim road is great for a good view.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-30-2012, 02:53 PM
we went when i was a kid many years ago, in April it was 110 in phoenix and we had snow at the grand Canyon the same week , pack for every thing

the layered approach works well , polar fleece under a rain coat is warm , we didn't have polar fleece or nylon rain coats back then , we all got grand canyon sweat shirts to go over our light jackets

and fill up on water before getting any where close to the grand canyon , only place where the water at McDonalds was the same price as soda. all the water was trucked in

we did the helicopter flight of the grand canyon , awesome memory for a kid of 10 , we took lots of pictures , and the film processor lost 4 rolls from the grand canyon helicopter trip , use two cameras , and stock up on memory cards before you go.

TCLouis
07-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Prescott, Globe, Meteor Crater, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest.

May be a bit exciting in the Northern section at that time of year, but about right to be in the southern extremes

Bisbee
07-31-2012, 08:20 AM
+10 on Canyon de Chelly. Spring time is best via guided Jeep tour. Go for a full day, you'll be glad you did.