PDA

View Full Version : MiHec Mold 434640 HP

John R
07-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Received that beautiful brass work of art mold from MiHec a few days ago and did some casting. Used both the large and the small hollowpoint pins with absolutely no problems. The average weight of Boolits using BHN 14 lead was as follows:
Large pin (large hollowpoint opening) was 247.8 Grains
Small pin (small hollowpoint Opening) was 256.6 Grains

Had some problems with the Boolits releasing the Penta Pins. Will work on that some more.

I have a problem with reloading these castings, unrelated to the mold. I use an RCBS set of 44 Mag dies, and the seater plug pushing the Boolit into the brass case leaves a very deep groove in the nose of the casting. Probably not detrimental to the shooting but ugly in looks. I have e-mailed RCBS asking if they make another seater plug for the 44 Mag, similar to the shape used in the 45 ACP. I've tried installing the 45 seater plug, but it will not fit.
If anyone else has this problem, and solved it, please let me know.

John

Iron Mike Golf
07-20-2012, 04:11 PM
You can try putting a dollop of hot-melt glue in the seater. Then press the boolit nose to shape the glue.

MakeMineA10mm
07-20-2012, 06:18 PM
When I have this problem with any sort of boolit which has any amount of meplat (RNFPs, SWCs, etc), I make a custom seat stem with a flat surface as wide as will fit in the die. The flat surface of the seater pushes against whatever flatness is available on the meplat without marring anything.

This will work even with HP's as long as there is some flat area - my Lyman Devastator version of this mould has the HP cavity and ogive come together in a knife edge, so when I tried this, my custom seater flattened out that knife edge... But with those pentapoints, there are flats between the ogive and cavity, so this should work fine for you.

Best part is, this stem works for just about any boolit design, except a RN. The only trouble with it is if you are seating a soft-cast boolit, or a boolit with a compressed powder charge (which should be pretty darn rare, in my experience), as the pressure exerted may squeeze and distort the boolit.