PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP - lee 230gr shooting low

Kevinkd
07-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Hey all, first time poster (long time lurker). Been casting at least 25 years (man I'm old LOL).

Anyways, in Canada (stopped pistol shooting a few years ago, but kept shooting rifles) and I'm starting to get back into pistol shooting. I've cast up some nice 110 gr and 158 gr Lee's for my smith 686 - shoot beautifully. 110's I have to size (just a smidgen <technical term because they swell the case too much. 158's as they fall out of mold shoot nice. 110's about 2" group and 158's about 3" group free hand at 25 yards. More than enough for me.

All lead used is a home mixture of battery top pins (got about 600 lbs of it), linotype, 50/50 solder and indoor range scrap. I figure its about 92/4/4. Not too hard and not too soft. Yes, 4% tin may be a bit much but it pours SOOOO nicely and I've got LOTS of it all.

Now, the .45 acp. I use the lee TL-452-230-2R. Gun is a new Remington R1 - 1911 clone. The boolits have to be sized to .452 (otherwise they swell case).

I've tried lighter loads (3.5 clays or 4.5 Bullseye) just to see how it shoots. It shoots really nice - 2-3 inch group all day long at 15 yards which is fine by me. However the group is 13" low. I tried some factory loads (J-word) 230 grains from a few different companies (S&B, aluminum case surplus, Winchester, norinco) and they all shoot decent but within a few inches of the bullseye.

So I loaded up some of my lees (after thoroughly cleaning my barrel - love the 1911 - so easy to clean ) and used 4gr clays and some 5gr Bullseye. Still hitting low for both max loads - about 8 inches now. Tried different crimps to increase pressures but minimal if any change. Not sure where to go from here.

Oh, 1 other thing. I've noticed on almost ALL factory loaded J-word rounds that the primers are flattened like crazy. You can see bolt face lines on them which I thought meant excessive pressures?. Out of my gun or almost anyones (no one reloads around here it seems so I pick up tons of range brass - yay me). Yet, my primers from my homeloads arent flattened out like that, they seem almost normal?

Any suggestions? I'm debating on increasing the loads .1 gr a step cause maybe the pressure is still safe, but for now just frustrated.

rant off - LOL.

thanks

ku4hx
07-20-2012, 11:41 AM
If your gun shoots any round well, but shoots others poorly, I'd suspect the "other" rounds are just not compatible with your gun. It's been rare, but occasionally over the years I've had bullet/powder combinations that simply were poor performers in certain guns.

That being said, you might consider different powders and different cast boolits. Generally the 45 ACP is quite "cast friendly" but anomalies do occur and all guns are different to one degree or another.

Flattened primers are not necessarily a sign of an over pressure situation; some cups are just softer than others.

runfiverun
07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
file some off your front sight.

MT Gianni
07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Another remedy would be to make a mark a tenth of an inch below the top of the front sight with nail polish. Align the rear sight with the mark while placing the top of the front sight either at 6 O'Clock or middle of the bullseye.

btroj
07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Play around with loads. At some velocity/pressure you will find a load that shoots closer to the sights. Then file off some of the front sight and stay with that load.

captaint
07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Is it possible to get a taller rear sight ?? That would be the simplest solution IMO. If you increase your powder charges, your rounds will likely impact lower, in my experience. The Rem R1 has military type rear sight ?? If so, maybe you could find those with different heights. I'm thinking somebody makes them.. OR sells them. Brownells, possibly ? enjoy Mike

geargnasher
07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Switch to Unique or Power Pistol to raise POI. BE and Clays are FAST powders with minimal muzzle flip and short barrel time.

Gear

Wayne Smith
07-20-2012, 03:56 PM
What Gear said! Best solution, if it works for you.

Kevinkd
07-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks all.

I've got a couple things to try now (before I get out the file LOL).

Thanks again, will keep you all updated.