PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a shame

Miata Mike
07-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Picked up 75 pounds of never used lead clip on wheel weights today. Basically traded all of my aluminum cans and scrap range brass for it. Roughly 35 cents a pound.

I look forward to making some purty 200 grain SWC boolits. ;-)

geargnasher
07-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Boo hoo. Cast, load, shoot smile, all minus the brake dust, tobacco spit, razor blades, and dog pee!

MikeS
07-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Am I missing something? Why is it any kind of a shame? 35¢ a pound is a good price! At that price I would buy all I could get.

mold maker
07-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Welcom to the maddness.
Where ever you got the 75 lbs, should be a regular haunt. If it's a recycle cntr/scrap yard, take donuts or pizza. I leave my phone number, and they call me when anything good comes in.

bootsnthejeep
07-20-2012, 08:14 AM
It's a shame because the last two buckets of brand new, in-the-box lead wheelweights I grabbed from two of my sources (tho pleasant to work with) represents two more places that are going to be mostly diminishing returns for lead, and I'm going to be up to my armpits in steel and zinc from here on out. In a couple years it won't even be worth sorting thru the bucket.

I've reached the top of the bell curve on my wheel weight collection.

At the rate I cast (hardly at all, lately) I probably have a lifetime supply as it is. Still a shame, tho.

troy_mclure
07-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Cast it into ingots and sell your excess on here, some of us compete with commercial casters and commercial scrappers. I have had to buy all my lead lately.

sbeatty1983
07-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Boo hoo. Cast, load, shoot smile, all minus the brake dust, tobacco spit, razor blades, and dog pee!

THIS!! The last bucket of WW I got smelled like a spittoon

Miata Mike
07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
I guess my point was it is a shame because that means that zinc and steel must be mandated in Wisconsin now. :| Why else would a shop scrap that many good wheel weights? I would have picked out some more dirty ones at that price, but the barrel was not all that full and my back felt bad enough cherry picking all of the larger new ones .:wink:

Miata Mike
07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Welcom to the maddness.
Where ever you got the 75 lbs, should be a regular haunt. If it's a recycle cntr/scrap yard, take donuts or pizza. I leave my phone number, and they call me when anything good comes in.

It is a newer recycle place just down the road from where I work. The guys that work there are pretty laid back, so leaving my phone number and a few empty buckets might be a good idea.

EDK
07-21-2012, 02:52 PM
The lead don't eat...the prices is going up steadily...the supply is dwindling, due to the tree huggers and the economy. I foresee a day when I have to buy a boolit trap to recover the lead. For now, 99% of my shooting is into a small area of the berm at home...I'll have to make some type of screen and imitate a gold miner. It's a safe place to store all them used boolits.

Buy what you can afford at 35 cents....I know I would.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley: