PDA

View Full Version : How Not to Store Primers

Maven
07-18-2012, 11:32 AM
This is from the Trainorders.com site, specifically Railroaders' Nostalgia. Ignore the railroad jargon and read the full tale about the Oxnard Explosion:

Back in the mid-70's on the SP I caught an eastbound peddler (freight train making lots of set outs and pick ups) down the coast as the rear man with a conductor who was used in emergency, neither of us were regular on this crew. We got down to Oxnard and did some work in the yard. Just as we started to pull out of town the train went in to emergency. The head end immediately got on the radio and reported a massive explosion. As I got back off the caboose to inspect the train all I could see going around the curve by the depot was the huge block of jumbo LPG tank cars we had in the train, not a heartwarming sight under the circumstances. As I got up near the head end I found the blast site-a boxcar with the doors blown off, the roof bulged up and the frame bowed down on the rails by the force of the explosion. The comm pole line (what was left of it in those post-microwave days) had the wires wrapped around the nearby eucalyptus trees. There was a sea of empty .223 (AR-15/M16) casings all over the ground, these had live primers but no powder or lead bullets. The train order operator's company truck was parked on the street, he had just delivered new orders to the head end and was driving back when the doors from that side of the boxcar were been blown over the hood of the truck, he was pretty much a basket case and it was time to clean out his pants. The FBI was so worried over terrorism that they flew in to the Ventura County Airport/Oxnard Air Force Base. The waybill for the car was out of either Portland or Seattle and had been billed out by the scrap dealer as "scrap brass for remelting purposes only". They had placed two 55 gallon barrels of live, loose primers in the center of the car and basically filled the rest of the car with drums of the empty casings with live primers that were all over the ground. The primers flashed and the rest is history. The owner/responsible party at the scrap dealer later was convicted on federal charges and went to prison. We just cut off the power, made a cut and sucked the rear end back and shoved it in to the yard, went back up and doubled the head end to it and left town-after a fair amount of FBI interviews, etc. Just another fun trip on the coast!

WILCO
07-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks for posting this.

runfiverun
07-18-2012, 01:05 PM
i understood every word of the jargon.
my pop was a rail from the time it was fun to the time it was a job.
i wonder what it was that set off the primers?

gwpercle
07-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Storing loose live primers in a glass jar is not a good idea either.
could have similar results but on a smaller scale. But that all depends on the size of the jar. For everyone new to loading keep primers in the package they are sold in or one that primers originally came in and relabel them as to what they are.

They are packaged that way for a reason...so they don't go boom.
Residue from the priming compound can gather and the stuff is very sensetive,
it does not take much much jarring or static electricity to set it off then the chain reaction thing happens.
Primers are easier to detonate than smokeless powder.

snuffy
07-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Residue from the priming compound can gather and the stuff is very sensitive,
it does not take much much jarring or static electricity to set it off then the chain reaction thing happens.
Primers are easier to detonate than smokeless powder.

I wondered how long it would take to get the mythical/magical "primer dust" to be blamed. How do these myths get started? Primers don't "DUST". Not modern ones made today, anyway.

The primer pellet,(the part that detonates), is on the bottom of the cup. It's covered by a foil disc, then the anvil, and THEN a lacquer ,(a thin paint like liquid that hardens). The pellet/compound or any "DUST" from it cannot escape that prison.

What set them off? IF they were indeed in a full 55 gallon drum, the shear weight of them would be quite heavy in the bottom third of that drum. A sharp bump, or shifting cargo would be all it would take.

JeffinNZ
07-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Yikes!

Hey, I was in Oxnard in 2005. Lovely part of the country. I could live there and abouts. Shame it's in Kalifornia.

blackthorn
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Those drums must have been loaded onto the train with a forklift or similar so it is extremely fortunate that the idiot who cleared them for shipment didn't get someone killed!

3006guns
07-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Not trying to hijack or change subjects, but when I take a pile of junk brass to the scrap yard I can truthfully tell the operator there's nothing "live" in the containers. That's because I spread the whole bunch on a tarp....several times....and spend considerable time removing bad stuff and rendering it harmless before hauling it away. I couldn't have an accident on my conscience.

If you have a copy of Hatcher's Notebook (doesn't everyone?) read the section on primer explosions.....the story of the guy shaking a Mason jar full as he walked along....

220swiftfn
07-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Not trying to hijack or change subjects, but when I take a pile of junk brass to the scrap yard I can truthfully tell the operator there's nothing "live" in the containers. That's because I spread the whole bunch on a tarp....several times....and spend considerable time removing bad stuff and rendering it harmless before hauling it away. I couldn't have an accident on my conscience.

If you have a copy of Hatcher's Notebook (doesn't everyone?) read the section on primer explosions.....the story of the guy shaking a Mason jar full as he walked along....

There was another one with a milk pail IIRC...... Messy, that.

Dan

markshere2
07-20-2012, 06:18 AM
I have a 20 LB propane tank that I cut the top off.
I start a fire in the fire pit out back, dump all my brass into it, ( split cases used primers scrap etc) and put it on the fire. I walk away and stay away. I get a half dozen pops and a couple hours later I drag it off the coals. My conscience is clear when it goes to the scrapyard.

Phat Man Mike
07-20-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd bet that the humping is what set it off. They really bump hard some times.

pmeisel
07-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Maven, that's a great story. Thanks.

Maven
07-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Paul, you're most welcome!

Paul (my name as well)

RED333
07-22-2012, 08:18 AM
What set them off? IF they were indeed in a full 55 gallon drum, the shear weight of them would be quite heavy in the bottom third of that drum. A sharp bump, or shifting cargo would be all it would take.

+1 on the weight thing, I keep my 209s in the box they come in.
I dont buy more than I can use in a short amount of time.

Great story Maven, thanks, I to spent a little time on the rail, unloaded cars.

Maven
07-22-2012, 11:32 AM
All, I really can't take any credit for the story as I cut and pasted it from the Trainorders.com site. However, thank you for your comments. It IS a good story with some bearing on our storage and use of primers.

10-x
07-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Do they still use "Do Not Hump" signs?

1Shirt
07-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Like the old Pa Dutch saying goes "Ve got to soon old, and to late smart!"
1Shirt!

canyon-ghost
07-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Makes a good point, for those of you who haven't handled Hazardous Materials everyday. Whatever precautions and packaging there is to explosive components used in reloading, they need to be closely maintained and adhered too. If it could happen to a trainload or truckload, it could happen right there by you!