PDA

View Full Version : How many here are Amateur Radio operators?

Merc41
05-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone. I have been a Ham radio operator now for 22 years. I have been away from the hobby now for about 10 years, and have just recently gotten back into it.
I have some items, (scopes, bullets etc etc) that I would like to swap for like valued Ham Radio gear. My problem is, that I can't seem to find a site that will accept "firearms or related items", that I can list to trade.
If you know of a place on the internet please let me know. I would be very interested in searching it. I have already been to qth.com and qrz.com but they are like the rest where firearms are concerned.

Thanks
Mark

castalott
05-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm also a ham....but outside of 2 meters I don't do much anymore. I still want to keep what equipment I have. When you get back on HF, lets set up a time to talk.

Dale

Merc41
05-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi Dale, was beginning to wonder if I was the only one here. I am sure that there are more, but they aren't saying. :o
I have my HF set up, usually moniter 80 meters during the day, usually on 3.895. Phone.
Have 80 meter inverted V, up about 50 feet at the apex...personal message me, and I will give you my call and maybe we can set up a time.
Thanks Dale.

Mark

chevyiron420
05-07-2007, 02:16 AM
hi folks, my dad is a ham(k3rm) i think. i never did get into it but i do make a bunch of crystal radios, and enjoy it alot. my neibores want to know what the 100 foot wire is for in the back yard!-phil

Merc41
05-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi Phil, yeah, I am sure if my neighbors seen my 154 foot wire, 50 feet in the pine trees, they would ask a bunch of questions also.
I can't wait to see their faces when I build a full loop. That will definitely get them talking.

felix
05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
My neighbor down the street has wires all over the place, at least it appears thataway. If you guys tell me what to say to my neighbor, he might allow me to talk on his dealie with you guys. He has large ranging capability according to him. Coast to coast. ... felix

C1PNR
05-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Still just a Technician. I haven't had anything hooked up since we got back here.

Now that the CW requirement is gone, I'm going to upgrade to at least General. The real hold back for me is the cost of HF equipment. That and putting up an antenna.

Our house is down on the river "flood plain" with hills on most sides. A lot of above ground power, phone, and cable lines, too, so my range will probably be limited.

Merc41
05-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Felix:
I would just strike up a conversation with him and ask him if he is an amateur radio operator. Most hams will jump at an opportunity to show someone thier station. And, they will definitely show you how it works.

C1PNR:
Yes, the hills and especially the overhead wires will definitely be a pain alright. But, a dipole will usually work. Mine is in an inverted V configuration. It does work pretty well.
As far as the cost of the equipment, you don't have to get the latest things available, i.e. yaesu ft-2000, kenwood ts-2000 or one of those expensive new icoms. My radio is over 15 years old. Used radios are the way to go really. They are just like cars, you buy it new, it depreciates in value big time. Of course if your planning on keeping it for a long time then by all means get a new one.
If I were you, I would put up a dipole, and find a decent rig, and go for it.

Linstrum
05-17-2007, 01:49 AM
I'm also one of you guys, I took the Code Novice test in 1981 and I have 10 meter voice privelege, which was what I wanted since 10 meters does everything I want to do.

Unfortunately nobody is on 10 meters anymore, most of the action is on 2 meters since that is where the majority of hams end up now because learning International Code is so darned difficult. Back in the early '90s after my ticket was upgraded to voice on 28.3-28.5 MHz because of the enhancement program, I was talking all across the country coast to coast and Florida to Alaska when skip was running, east-west E-layer skip in daylight and north-south at night on the recombined F-layer nighttime skip. I was also talking to Australia regularly on 25-watts on sideband at sundown here in California. I have also talked to Australia on 4 watts on the good ol' 11 meter CB radio back in 1977.

I have heard 2 meter guys say that they occasionally get to Hawaii from the West Coast on 2 meters via weather inversion layer ducting.

If anyone has 10 meters I will meet at 28.375 lower sideband. I need to get my radio out of storage and get an antenna back up first, though. Both my 10 meter inverted "V"dipole and 5/8-wave omni groundplane burned up in the brush fire we had here in 2003 and I haven't replaced them yet. Antennas aren't a problem for me, though, I have made lots of them all the way from three element quads to 10 wave length long wires for 10 meters.

lathesmith
05-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Mark, nice to meet you here on the board. I've been an amateur operator since the late '90's. I have decent capabilities on most HF bands--a 50 foot tower with a tribander for 10 15 20, and a sloper for 40 80 160. I also love to operate on six meters, and occasionally use 2 or 440 locally.
Sorry, I can't really help you with finding a place to swap shooting stuff for radio gear. It is kinda hard finding guys to talk both shootin' irons and radios with, there are only a few locally, and I just wanted to say hello. Mentioning the 'bay is kinda taboo here in these forums, and I'm sure you know about that besides. Anyway, good luck with your endeavors, and maybe I can catch you on the bands.
Lathesmith

AKtinman
05-18-2007, 12:20 AM
I was first licensed in 1962 and let my license lapse in 1967. Relicensed about 7 years ago.

Haven't been active for about 3 years, due to getting married and my stepdaughter got my ham shack/reloading room. Good trade, though:) Also, I moved from Alaska back to Texas in 2005 to help out my widowed 91 year-old aunt. I have been living with her while I am working on my place in the country, but her health is slipping and I am spending more time as a caregiver. My XYL is still in Alaska, and has less than 90 days to go till retirement.

My aunt was not receptive to any outside antennas, so I set up my HF radio in the bedroom with a 44' wire in the attic, but stay pretty busy with other things. In the country I put up a 80m horizontal loop in the trees at about 35'. Made a few contacts, but usually am too busy trying to finish up the interior of the shop/apartment. I've got 3 towers on the ground, but it probably will be this fall before they assume a vertical posture.

C1PNR:

There are some very good HF radios available for around $300. Two that come to mind are the Kenwood TS-430 and the Icom IC-735. Add a Johnson Matchbox ($50-$100), some wire for a loop or doublet, and you'll be set.

About the best antenna site on the internet is W4RNL's - http://www.cebik.com/radio.html

Lots of free info there. I learn something everytime I visit his site.

Great thread, guys!

Boondocker
05-18-2007, 06:40 AM
My dad was a ham (w3gQw} , he tried getting me into it but my mind was other places. He had wire in the trees, storm window frame, and a hustler in the back yard antennas. He built his own radio before WW2. He had call cards from every country in the world, that was pretty cool. Boon

carpetman
05-18-2007, 11:56 AM
My late brother was a radioman in the Navy. He was stationed in Mississippi back in 1963 when our hometown-Wichita Falls,Texas had a tornado. He was unable to make telephone contact to check on the family,so that prompted him to get his HAM ticket. He already knew code and could exceed the required speed so getting the license was pretty much just going through the formality of taking the test. He had a call sign issued,but did let his license lapse along the way. When he renewed he was given another call sign which I think was N5HDQ(Curtis was his name) anyways he was active until his death in 1998 and had gotten the extra class and was one of the ones that gave the test. Should any of you ever made contact with him,I'd like to hear about it.

C1PNR
05-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Merc41 and AKtinman,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and info. I'm going to order the book and upgrade to General, at least. I have no room for radio equipment in the house, but I do finally have the drawings for our garage/bonus room building.

I'll put my gear in there and put up an antenna, probably attached in some way to the garage.

Merc41
05-23-2007, 04:30 PM
My apologizies for taking so long to respond. I get side tracked a lot here lately.

Linstrum: 10 meter activity is now on the upswing. I belive we are at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, so the conditions are definitely going to improve. I have heard a few stations in the evening here in Virginia, however, I don't have a 10/11 meter antenna, so have been using 80 meter dipole thru tuner. With a good 10 meter beam or 11 meter beam tuned for the ham bands, you should do real well on 10 meters.
Also, the ARRL lists weekly DX conditions on their website. Also, you could check out some DXclusters, which I haven't done in so long forgot how LoL

Lathesmith: Thanks for the shout. I go to pick up my shooting irons this weekend. I just moved to VA from MD, and didn't have the room in the truck to pack them. So will be picking them up this weekend. Then I will be able to do some "dealing". if possible. My next radio will have six meters, and hopefully slots for vhf and uhf modules.

AKtinman: I have been in the same situation almost as you, however, I didn't have an attic. I was staying in an appartment that didn't allow any kind of outside antenna's. So, basically, all I could do was listen with a long wire that ran inside the apartment. Was a real mess!! But, we hams do what we can do.

Boondocker: I have finally moved to a place where I can put up wires all over the place.:-D It sure feels nice.

Carpetman: I believe contact with your brother may take something more than an HF rig! :-?

C1PNR: your very welcome. There are quite a few nice radios on the market these days. With the internet taking off like it did, it was never easier to search and buy the radios you have been looking for. Good luck and take care.

I appreciate all that have responded to this thread. Maybe, one of these days, someone will start up an internet swap shop for Ham radio gear and guns. Just about every amateur radio operator I talk with, is into the shooting sports. I would do it myself, but just not savvy enough.