PDA

View Full Version : Sabots and chronograph readings

tommag
05-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I was playing around with some J&D 30 cal sabots in my 30-30. They were loaded with 30-32 grs Rel.7. The load data supplied with them indicated 3400-3500 fps.
My Chronagraph read in the 2500fps range. Maybe the larger shadow of the sabot reads better than the boolit over the chrony?
I was amazed to find that the sabots penetrated the target at 40 yds. They seemed to group well, but I haven't a clue where the boolits went! (don't grouse about unsafe shooting, I had a good backstop)
Does anyone know how to chronagraph these things without getting a reading of the sabot?

Scrounger
05-03-2007, 05:36 PM
If the bullet was moving faster than the sabot, it would have tripped the chronograph screens and given you a faster reading. Most likely the bullet and sabot never separated, or the bullet took a widely divergent course. Put up a paper or cardboard 10-15 feet from the muzzle to check whether the bullet separated and is flying a different course.

twoworms
05-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I had this problem with BP Sabots in a TC Scout pistol....

I think whats going on is the boolits are sticking to the Sabots... Yes they stick or don't let go of the boolit. You are reading 2500fps due to the drag on the boolit from the sabots. The sabot should drop off and hit the ground before they make it to 40 yards. I would bet if you shot at 100 yards you won't hit the target and the boolit/sabot would hit the dirt before it gets there.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tim

P.S. Good luck.

tommag
05-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Maybe some wet graphite lube on the boolits before seating in the sabot mighthelp with boolit release?

Scrounger
05-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Try working the petals of the sabot open a few times before you load them.

jhalcott
05-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I heard that when Remington started with the Accelarator rounds SOME of the petals did NOT open. T his caused the .22 bullets to fly every where. They supposedly went to a smooth sided bullet to cure the problem. I do not know how true this is BUT...!

twoworms
05-03-2007, 09:16 PM
tommag,

I'm on a quest to find a good load for my 500S&W Encore with a 20" barrel. One thing I now have loaded is cast boolits with a sabot. I'll test time to see if the part like they should or not. If not I plan to try a lube in the sabot to help.

Good luck,

Tim

STP
05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Call Ken Oehler and ask him what he has experienced with sabots. I`m sure he would have something to contribute.
Sabots thru a chrono seem as risky as gas checked boolits. I trashed a Chrony with a Marlin 336 in .444 with the Lee 310gr, a GC came off early (10ft from the muzzle)...right thru the LCD screen. Ouch!!

tommag
05-04-2007, 03:57 PM
When I finally got around to buying one, I thought of that and decided to get the model with the remote screen. I also replaced the metal rods with dowel, just in case. I havent hit a rod yet, but I'm sure it's coming.
I'm thinking a peice of angle iron in front of the unit for deflection might be in order.

STP
05-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Yep, that would be a good idea. The old saying about " If you shoot enough, eventually such-and-such will happen." In my case, I used a very old box of Lyman gaschecks that did not provide much "crimp" at all. I could easily pull several off the bases after lubing and sizing. At the time, I thought little of it.
The Chrony was acquired used, and included a thick Lexan (?) "guard" that fit the face of the unit by the original owner. I never had hit an Oehler 35P that I had before, so why bring that piece of Lexan for the Chrony!??
Hindsight.......