PDA

View Full Version : cow/gc ?

nekshot
07-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I had to beagle some molds for a fat boolit and the gc are not fitting well. Then I started wondering why I need a gc with cow being used. I would rather ask and get input before I lead a barrel trying to experiment myself. The speed is 1500 to 1700 fps.

rintinglen
07-17-2012, 11:50 AM
You are right at the ragged edge. In fact, if the caliber is less than 40, you have gone beyond the zone.
There are some fellows here who have managed to get a gun to shoot plain base boolits at velocities in the range that you are running, but that has not been my experience. To run a PB boolit over 1400 fps requires a smooth bore, a perfect fit, an excellent lube and perhaps just a hint of luck. The only caliber that I have managed to get to shoot that fast with acceptable leading is the 45-70, though I am sure that there are others that can relate success stories with other, smaller calibers.

And, although not strictly on topic, I have never managed to get a boolit designed for as GC to shoot as well without one as it does with a GC.

44man
07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Filler does not replace a GC. The GC is to halt skid at the boolit base. It has no other purpose. It was developed to prevent soft lead skid when the base is reached.
Make the boolit harder with a plain base and you do not need the check.

Maven
07-18-2012, 11:36 AM
nekshot, You may want to search our archives or just Google COW Loads and/or Ken Mollihan, who originated the idea. Better yet, he's a member here (Molly), so why not send him a PM?

nekshot
07-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for your input. I tried a few loads w/out gc and started to lead the barrel. Barrel is now clean and I made some gc out of a beer can and those form unto the boolit base real nice. Sorry I didn,t give more info but the gun is a carcana with a new 7.62x39 barrel. I think the barrel is a after market ak or sks barrel. I will send a post on the special project section as soon as I finish this load development for the gun.

hardy
07-18-2012, 02:51 PM
I had to beagle some molds for a fat boolit and the gc are not fitting well. Then I started wondering why I need a gc with cow being used. I would rather ask and get input before I lead a barrel trying to experiment myself. The speed is 1500 to 1700 fps.

Hi nekshot,what boolit are you using,how much did you enlarge(beagle) it and what does you barrel slug at?The more info would be helpful.Beer can G/C,been there but no joy.I have had joy however with undersize boolits (not beagled) and COW at 1650 fps,no leading.Maybe your "new"barrel is rough and needs breaking in.Many variables,Good Luck,Cheers,Mike

nekshot
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Hardy, a fire formed case inside the neck is 316. My chamber cast (empty shell with soft lead plug expanded into it) shows 342 out side the neck brass. It has a short throat of 330 and forms into 311. I have two 303"s with the same dimension. I took a lee 303 mold and beagled it to 316. this boolit weighs 194gr and fits into the bore and engraves perfect. Very accurate so far out to 70 yards. I wanted a lighter boolit so I took a (gasp) RD 165 mold and beagled a cavity to 316. Weighs 170 gr. This boolit fills the throat but it is not as accurate as the heavy lee.I am using H335, 4895 and blc2 at 19 - 20 gr. I will chrono later. The lee boolit and 335 often puts the first two shots into one big hole and then throws one an inch away. I really am happy so far as I never would have done this rifle for myself like this nor would I have played with a carcano rifle. But it was at an estate sale and the barrel was clearly a replacement and the hole looked kinda big and nobody wanted it, so I now have it.

hardy
07-18-2012, 08:18 PM
nekshot,looks like you,ve got a good handle on the situation.Tell me tho,when you beagled your molds did you size them back down to 316,lap them out round or were they oval?Also,did you use the beer can G/Cs,COW etc .Enquiring minds and all that.Cheers,Mike

JeffinNZ
07-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Where on earth do you fit a GC to a cow!!!???

Is this some sort emission control?

hardy
07-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Hush now,the EPA read these posts! I,ve seen pictures of cars back in WW2 running on pig poop,actually methane,but I digress...........Cheers,Mike

nekshot
07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
hardy, the lee boolit is almost perfect when measured and the RD is slightly out of round. I ordered a lee 314 sizer which I plan to lap.I have been shooting as cast and the RD boolit chambers to tight for my liking. Jeff years ago I milked cows for a living and I surely can think of one specific place to put a BIG gc on a cow!!! When my daughter comes home this weekend I will get her to help me take pictures of the gun and post it on the special project site. I am using beer can checks and no COW.