PDA

View Full Version : skunk in front yard

Big Boomer
07-16-2012, 09:33 AM
not 'possum but skunk here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days back my wife came rushing into my "study" saying that we had a skunk in our front yard here in southern Ky. She looked out the window and pointed it out to me. While she kept watch on the critter, I hastened downstairs to the reloading parlor and retrieved my M27-2 S&W 5" nickel plated loaded with 38s (125 gr. Win. JHP with the nose of the HP opened up with a wood bit). Shoots real accurately. Fixed the bullets that way so they would stay inside any critters we catch in a live trap. They are ruining our corn patch.

By the time I returned, the skunk had wandered over across the road into the front yard of some good folk who make their living selling produce of all kinds and had some ruined recently by some kind of gnawing critter. The mother of the guy who runs the place encouraged me to shoot it, since it had wandered into her front yard and that she would dispose of it. I put the critter down with one shot. Must have been a brainer because it never even had opportunity to do a spray job.

As an aside, anyone ever see another S&W M27-2 5" nickel? This is the only one I've ever seen. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

1Shirt
07-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Now you have to hope no one calls the cops on you!
1Shirt!

KCSO
07-16-2012, 03:24 PM
You aren't a little under gunned there are you?

bootsnthejeep
07-16-2012, 03:41 PM
You aren't a little under gunned there are you?

Those little polecats can be downright ornery if wounded. He did say he was using 38s. :grin:

Got the job done. I don't consider it over-gunned unless you need a shovel to replace the divot behind the critter afterward.

You're braver than I, shooting one of em around a house, I don't have that much confidence in my head-and-spine shooting ability on a small moving target, but then again I'm not a very good shot in general.

I was just had a visit from a friend from Bowling Green. I told her she should get a pellet gun to keep her newly-taught shooting skills fresh. She said she was pretty sure even pellet guns were illegal in city limits. Seriously? In KENTUCKY??

9.3X62AL
07-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Them polecats can charge when cornered, ya can't be too careful. :)

I haven't seen a pre-27 or M-27 x 5" in nickel, either.

Big Boomer
07-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Not to worry about shooting a skunk, 'possum or racoon arouind here in the country. We have to deal with these vermin all the time. Coyotes are a constant problem as well as red wolf mixed with bigger dogs I'm told. Had to take a couple of them out in early 2008.

Not likely that pellet guns are illegal within any city limits I know of, though possible I guess.

The .38s were downloaded to 4 grains of W231, probably about 800 fps. Buggering the nose of the Win. 125 gr. jhp really makes them open up.

Would really like to know about how common the 5" S&W 27-2 nickel plated is.
'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

Big Boomer
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks 9.3X62 for the response on the nickel 5" S&W 27-2.

I've seen a lot of guns at gun shows, S&W collections, etc., but this is the first one I ever saw set up quite like this one. It has target hammer and target trigger with Pachmyer grips. Had it for a number of years now.

Seems to have been shot very little. Very tight, no cylinder end-shake at all, very close barrel/cyl gap that I would guess at less than .005 though I never thought to check it. No wear showing anywhere. Bore is pristine. Shoots great. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

edler7
07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank God it was a real skunk.

For a minute, I thought you had a lawyer in your yard !

Big Boomer
07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
edler7:

I guess I should have been more specific or exact in my terminology so as not to mislead anybody.

'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-16-2012, 09:45 PM
a few years ago (less than 5 years), I bought a 27-2 in Nickel 5" bbl appeared New/unfired in wooden presentation box with papers from a dealer who was selling someone's collection, He had a bunch of S&W revolvers, nearly all looked new/unfired, I also bought a 586 from him too.
I payed plenty for bought of them...But haven't regretted it yet.
I haven't investigated as to how rare the 5" 27 is, but I've only seen a couple others listed on "for sale" type gun websites...one was minty and maybe unfired with box and was in the $1800 range, the other looked used-maybe 95+%, no box and $1500ish. But that doesn't mean they are worth that much. Tell me what you paid for yours, and I'll tell you what I paid for mine.
Jon

bootsnthejeep
07-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Thank God it was a real skunk.

For a minute, I thought you had a lawyer in your yard !

Wouldn't have hurt my feelings either way.

Shooter6br
07-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Took out a sick looking skunk in broad daylight with a head shot from my scoped Benjamin 397 8 pumps (800 fps) at 10 yrds.I was on a raised porch.Got the spinning tail death reaction.No spray.

edler7
07-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Wouldn't have hurt my feelings either way.

Me either. In fact, I'd prefer the one with the white stripe over the one with a brief case.

dmize
07-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Actually shooting pellet guns inside city limits is illegal in a lot of cities. It is in Jefferson City Mo,where I work and the town close to where I live Linn which has a pop. of about 2,000 people. The catch is simply in the wording of the ordanances, "shall not fire a SOLID PROJECTILE" That definition eliminates everything from an Air Soft to a Barrett and archery too by the way.
I have been leary of headshots on skunks, There is a spot in the head that when hit they are dead but muscles go balistic. I usually try to "heard" them across the hayfield away from the house and then 12 gauge them.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Actually shooting pellet guns inside city limits is illegal in a lot of cities. It is in Jefferson City Mo,where I work and the town close to where I live Linn which has a pop. of about 2,000 people. The catch is simply in the wording of the ordanances, "shall not fire a SOLID PROJECTILE" That definition eliminates everything from an Air Soft to a Barrett and archery too by the way.

I'm not sure about other cities and towns,
But Glencoe calls it a "dangerous instrument ordinance"
written vaguely and it was explained to me as it's up to
the officer's disgression.
first offense is a $50 fine and confiscation of the dangerous instrument.
I keep a decoy BBgun on my porch in case I'm reported for shooting my $600 RWS pellet rifle in town...did I say that out loud :)
Jon

Hardcast416taylor
07-18-2012, 10:05 AM
The difference between a skunk and a lawyer that both were hit in the road? There are skid marks by the skunk.:groner:Robert