PDA

View Full Version : power pistol temp sensitive?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-15-2012, 10:27 PM
went to the range today , after we took care of some obligations , as a result guns and ammo spent 4 hours in the van in the sun the temp in the shade was well into the 90s

i hadn't even thought about it till my wife started shooting her x-lite loads after about 15 rounds she said ,but they didn't shoot like x-lite 40S&W rounds , i checked the bag i go t them from they were x-lites normally they are just enough to cycle the action i worked them down till i started to get failure to cycle then brought them back up

i am guessing that they might have been 120-130 degrees F

the normal loads that use more of the case seemed normal , but the 4.2gr loads were almost as potent as the 6.3gr, unfortunately she started to flinch , she shot about 25 rounds then some 9mm maybe 8 rounds and decided to go back and sit in the air conditioning.

EDK
07-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Excessive heat allegedly effects ammunition...don't know specifics on POWER PISTOL.

There was a cable documentary on snipers leaving ammo in the sun over in Afghanistan/Iraq to get longer range hits with it. The Canadian(?) who took out a machine gunner and his helper at 1 1/2 miles with a 50 caliber told of letting his ammo warm up for that specific incident. Black powder cartridge rifle competitors have been know to keep their ammo in a cooler to prevent boolit lube from melting/contaminating powder charges.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
but how would you know how much, a small change can change your point of impact , you would have had to work out how long and how hot with a ton of research , to know where to aim, unless i suppose you laid out 50 rounds in the sun and then loaded 10 at a time and walked them in , but is it sniping if you walk the rounds into the target?

Wayne Smith
07-16-2012, 04:58 PM
If you read or saw the documentary you would know that he used three shots, walking them in. Didn't need to figure it out, just saw the impacts.

EDK
07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
...... but is it sniping if you walk the rounds into the target?

Whatever you want to call it, it's d*** good shooting at that distance...and he saved a lot of NATO/ALLIED lives taking out the machine gun operators. IIRC, the convoy he was at the end of was taking a lot of incoming rounds.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1:

Rocky Raab
07-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Well, I'll try to stay on the flipping subject...

Heat affects all chemical reactions. So-called temperature insensitive powders are formulated to not lose a lot of performance in cold weather, but ALL powders will burn faster and produce higher pressures if fired hot. GUN temperature can have as much effect as ammo temps, and if both are hot, things can get quite interesting.

I think "temperature insensitive" powders are mostly creative marketing claims, but if you know that ammo will be fired in hot weather, it is best to not lean too hard on the powder measure handle when reloading.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-16-2012, 07:14 PM
If you read or saw the documentary you would know that he used three shots, walking them in. Didn't need to figure it out, just saw the impacts.

i didn't see it or read it . but amazing to only take 3

i don't load anything to close to max i start at the starting and don't usually need much more for good accuracy

but i do load reduced power for number of things with cast boolits