PDA

View Full Version : 2nd and third generation casters?

MBTcustom
07-15-2012, 11:59 AM
I was taught the fine art of melting COWW into usable projectiles by my father who was an avid shooter. He collected about 15 Lyman molds, a H&G four cavity, and a few RCBS molds. They are all mine now along with his equipment, and that is how I got my start. I was reading a thread a little bit ago, and one of the posters eluded to the fact that his father taught him to cast. It made me wonder how many of you were also brought into the sport by your father.

ku4hx
07-15-2012, 12:36 PM
My father loved baseball ... just baseball. It was just ok to me; however, I was pretty good at it. But he cared absolutely nothing about shooting. He died when I was 14 (1960) and that left my sweet mom to guide me alone. And she did. One of the things she did was buy me a .22 Rifle and got me shooting and basic safety/maintenance/cleaning instruction. To this very day, the lessons I learned in 1960-1961 are still with me. She also bought me a Blackhawk 357 Magnum and a Remington 700 in 30-06. She tried her best to accommodate a teenage boy who wanted to shoot and hunt and even got me introduced to target shooting via a local club.

She did her best, and did a fine job, but she had no concept of hand loading, much less boolit casting. For those things I was on my own, and starting about 1970 I began loading and shortly thereafter casting. In those days, if I wanted cheap, and good ammunition, I had to make my own.

My son loves to shoot, my daughter is better than both me and my son, but neither has any interest in loading or casting. In my family, I am the first generation and may well be the only generation.

Shiloh
07-15-2012, 02:41 PM
My son will probably be the 2nd generation. I do like the jacketed bullet fad answer though.

Shiloh

btroj
07-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't really meet any of the above. My father and I learned at the same time, from a guy who 5 years after became my father in law. That is actually now I met my wife. Had he known then what he knows now........

That was back in 83. I learned ALOT since then. Aout casting, about shooting, about guns in general. I am looking to pass that in to others. My 18 year old daughter has never cast a Boolit but she has sizer them, loaded ammo, and shot more than a few.

runfiverun
07-15-2012, 11:35 PM
i taught my dad how to cast.
his mom wouldn't allow a gun in the house.
i alway's wondered where he got into them from.
he even done some reloading, but nothing other than refilling empty cases and hulls to match what the factory's sold. [cheaper]
his shooting was alway's hunting or competition, i could never get him to just go shoot can's or rocks.

rintinglen
07-16-2012, 12:04 AM
My uncle actually was the only family member to cast and shoot his own boolits. He was way ahead of the curve when it came to black powder shooting. He had a muzzle loader in 1962 which he used to take a nice 8 point eastern count buck, much to the chagrin of the other fellows in the deer camp, my father among them, who had been ribbing him on his old charcoal burner. He piqued my interest, but it was the father of one of my friends who actually taught me how to make boolits. He also let me reload a box of 30-30's, fueling two hobbies on which I have since spent a young fortune.

Bigslug
07-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Well, dad was technically the first and technically, he taught me, though I was about 36-37 when he started, so it was more of a simultaneous experience.

kir_kenix
07-16-2012, 01:45 AM
My great grandfather was an avid caster and shooter. His son and grandson were too. I picked up a little bit from each of them over the years. Sadly, my great grandfather is gone now, but I still have 2 generation above me to consult when it comes to guns and casting.

NHGrumpyGramps
07-16-2012, 04:24 AM
I started casting with my Dad over 50 years ago and have continued doing it since then. I still have all his molds and the Lyman 45 lubrisizer. We used to cast using a gasoline fired plumbers furnace, but I bought a couple modern pots to do my casting. I still have the plumbers furnace and use it for smelting.

MikeS
07-16-2012, 04:58 AM
As far as I know I'm the first in my family to cast boolits, and to reload in general. It's possible that my great grandfather on my mother's side of the family might have done both, as he was a gunsmith's apprentice when he came to this country before the turn of the century (not the last turn, the one before that). He worked for the gunsmith for about 5 years or so, until he was accidentally shot by the gunsmith testing out a gun. When he recovered he went into the safer business of rebuilding sewing machines!

captaint
07-16-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm the only one in my immediate family to be the shooter. My Mother's brother was a collecter and hunter - and a great guy. I've liked guns since I was a little kid. I have 3 kids - my 2 sons love to shoot. My daughter likes to shoot. None of them have any interest even in loading ammo. I'm thinkin I should let them BUY ammo for a while, you know, from the store. Maybe then, they'll think about loading their own. Maybe they'll even cast a few boolits. The oldest son has watched me casting enough times. Time will tell..... enjoy Mike

smokeywolf
07-16-2012, 06:29 AM
From my earliest recollections I watched my father use the same smelter, sizer/luber, and molds that I now use.
I have been trying to add to what he passed on to me, as I have sons who are showing interest.

smokeywolf

trixter
07-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Learning through experience + reading everything I can get my hands on. This whole gun and boolits thing is a kick in the pants. It is a great feeling to go out to shoot with stuff you made yourself, and hitting the target too. Good times. After-all if it ain't fun, don't do it.

9.3X62AL
07-16-2012, 12:16 PM
My Dad got me into hunting, shooting, and fishing. Intently. He wasn't a reloader, but had a friend who was a caster/reloader/gun hobbyist, and got us together so the man (Leo Reyes) could get me started at about age 14. Dad was always part of it, though. Great times.

ku4hx
07-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow, 76% are first generation casters and based on the ages in the poll shown in the thread below, most of use are in the 45-65 range. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=98437&highlight=age+casters

If that keeps up, and these are accurate and representative metrics, boolit casting is becoming a lost art pretty quickly. That is unless we're doing a right smart amount of mentoring. I know I'm not, I wish I were, but too many shooters I know would rather buy Winchester White Box stuff, or other low cost fodder, from Wal Mart.

40Super
07-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm the only one in my family to do any type of reloading, much less casting. 99% of the people I know barely shoot their gun the day before deer hunting season, and then its usually 2 or 3 shots "close enough", then talk about wounding this one or missing that one and can't figure out why.

kodiak1
07-16-2012, 11:55 PM
The granddad was one of those old boys that had a house of kids 7 of them and no money. Dirt poor folks! Dad was getting farther ahead in life but still didn't have the money to buy his ammo or booze. So he reloaded and cooked a little mash on the side.

Well I just plain like it, My son is starting to do a little and so is my grandson.
Neither of us cook mas

Ken.

FergusonTO35
07-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm technically the first generation caster in my family, however I was taught by my best friend's father in law who has been doing it for 40 years and might as well be part of my family. I'm 33 years old and honestly I don't think casting is a dying art. I think its growing, largely due to the internet and increasingly high cost of j-words. Cowboy action shooting has helped alot too. Alot of people love the cowboy guns and gear even if they never compete in the sport. I've been reading hunting and shooting magazines since I was a kid in the early 80's and there is way more casting and reloading feature now than there was back then.

fcvan
07-17-2012, 11:21 AM
A friend of my Dad's taught us to cast boolits when I was 13 or 14. Saeco was 30 miles down the road in Carpenteria, CA, so all of his casting equipment was bought there. We used to cast on the back patio, barbecue, 'bench rest' a Daisy Red Ryder, and generally enjoy the casting session.

When I got out on my own, I cast and loaded on Dad's equipment until I started collecting my own equipment. Dad hasn't cast a boolit in I don't know how long, mainly because I keep him well supplied. When He and Mom come to visit they usually stay at my brother's house. We have the reloading equipment set up there.

I would mold up a few thousand boolits in various calibers and Dad would lube/size them up. If the press was set up he would spend the day seating and crimping. One visit, he loaded up 2500 rounds of 9mm and .38. Good times. Frank

762 shooter
07-17-2012, 12:02 PM
I am the first in my family.

1972 a friend of mine got me into guns, then shooting, then reloading.

Being of the frugal sort, I got myself into casting.

It was love at first sight. I've done alot. IPSC, Sillywet, hunting, IDPA, 3-gun, classes, and target.

What would I have done with all that free time without shooting as a hobby?

popper
07-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Grampa was a small town lawyer and carried a standard 38 in his pocket when he rounded up the drunks. Grampa on the other side was Quaker, grew up with the plains indians. Mom & Dad were very anti-gun & booze. I'm the only one that shoots (3yrs), reloads(2 yrs) and casts(6 mo.), as a hobby. Beef & peanut butter are not listed on hunting lic.

Treetop
07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
goodsteel, I didn't vote in your poll because, like several other posters before me, my Dad and I learned together in 1960-61.

He had just bought a DCM 1903-A3 for, I think $12, through the NRA. We both loved that rifle, and then, like now, J-words were just too expensive, so my Dad bought a Lyman 311291 DC and a Lyman lubri-sizer. We cast over a single burner Coleman stove on the driveway. I will NEVER forget "the feeling" I had, when I saw those first, shiny, beautiful, boolits fall out of our mold!

I still have the mold and the old single burner Coleman and yes I still get "that feeling" after seeing untold thousands of boolits tumble out of a mold!

Wish I still had that Springfield... Tt.

MBTcustom
07-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I still get "that feeling"
Yeah, that's what its all about. Although, for me, cast lead boolits was a way of life growing up. They were everywhere. I remember setting up my G.I. Joe's and using a 1X2 12" long to "whack" my dads RCBS 230 grain boolits across the living room cork floor, to knock them over. They were all lubed with RCBS green lube and my mom whooped me for getting that gooey stuff on her cork floor. So, when I started casting, it was kind of what I thought everybody did. Almost like a chore I had to complete in order to get more ammo (after I had burned up all that my dad had loaded). My my my, tsk tsk tsk, how very very spoiled I was! I had no appreciation for this, and to tell you the truth, I still thought of casting as a bit of a chore before I found castboolits.com.
Its totally different now. My priorities have been straitened out, and I realize the value, and casting boolits has become a hobby in and of itself. Sometimes I really feel like the prodigal son of cast boolits.

MBTcustom
07-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I am really surprised by the poll. I honestly thought that the father to son catagory would win hands down, but apparently, we have many many first generation casters here!

10 ga
07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
I have some of both of my great grandads equipment and can say for certain I'm at least 4th gen caster. Probably goes back beyond that as my family is a long line of fishermen and commercial hunters going back to the early/middle 1600s (when they got off the boat) here in tidewater VA.

Swede44mag
07-26-2012, 12:25 PM
I am a first generation caster in my family.

That being said my Father took me hunting when he had to carry me.
He use to reload for his shotgun when I was young now I do all the reloading for him.
I learned about casting boolits about the time I got out of High School.
I couldnt buy rifle or pistol but could buy everything to reload for them.
I went to a gun shop and wanted to buy some reloading equipment and powder but the gunsmith/owner would not sell me anything but a reloading manual.
He told me when I could explane to him how it was done then and only then would he sell me any reloading equipment.
I respected the man for leading me the right way and within a couple weeks I started buying reloading equipment.
It was a short time later that I found out about casting boolits due to the differents in cost.
My father and I hunt together but not as much as we use to due to his age but now I am the one who is taking him.

Griz44mag
07-29-2012, 11:47 PM
I got most of my skills from my grandfather, almost none from my dad. Although grand-papa did not cast bullets, he did babbit bearings and fishing sinkers. So I guess you needed another choice on the poll, grandfather only.

badgeredd
08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I am really surprised by the poll. I honestly thought that the father to son catagory would win hands down, but apparently, we have many many first generation casters here!

I checked the first generation. My Dad did cast round balls and a HB 45 boolit for his BP pistols, but after I was on my own. He and I discussed this casting thing a few years ago when I first got started here on Castboolits. He was very interested in casting for his lever rifles, but God called him home before he could really get into it. I do miss the talks with him.

Edd

David2011
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
My first casting experience was with a guy a met at a shooting range. We became best friends. He taught me a great deal about casting and alloys, shooting, loading, firearms, gun repair and life in general. He was like a much older brother to me. RIP, Mac!

David

357maximum
08-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I am a first generation boolit caster....my Dad uses/steals boolits I make however.:bigsmyl2:

GP100man
08-04-2012, 10:00 PM
I`m a first generation caster , my father looks at firearms as a tool not a recreational sport & never hunted ,but I do remember him carrying a H&R "SideKick" while going around the fence & shot a possum that had the crook of his tail caught on the electric fence ,dispatched with 1 shot & that 1s the only shot I`ve ever seen him shoot !!!

My grandaddy WAS a shooter ,we burnt many boxes of ammo thru a S&W model 10-5!!!
Sadly he was ill & never saw me cast or load a 38, but I`m sure he would`ve enjoyed it !!

I think of em everytime I run a batch of 38s with the 358311 RN boolit his favorite .

GP

frankenfab
08-04-2012, 10:03 PM
I am a 1st generation caster, but I think I am rabid enough to make up for lost generations........

L Erie Caster
08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Frankly my father would be a danger to himself and anyone in the area of a casting pot or reloading press he was using. I never knew my grandfather and he never really knew me.

tuckerdog
08-11-2012, 09:10 PM
My grandad taught me, he was also the man who raised me so I guess it would be second generation. Never knew my dad.

Wal'
08-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Another first generation boolit caster, there were no other shooters in the family, even with four brothers & sisters.

Was the oldest & brought home many a roo, bunny & fish for the family Sunday dinner.

Father never objected when I bought the first rifle into the home at around the age of thirteen.

Had a next doors mates Dad, an ex WW11 vet who actually fought the Japanese in Papua New Guinea & the Pacific campaigns, who taught me to hunt in the highlands & gave me the lessons that I guess led to a safe lifetime in the shooting world, especially todays restricted world!

PS Paul
09-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I learned everything I know about casting, loading, shooting, etc. on my own. I do have an uncle who hunts, shoots and fishes, but my parents were both so scared of guns they would not let me shoot or hunt with him. A shame. Most all the shooting and hunting I did as a kid (from 6 years old) was done without their knowledge and I would ge in big trouble if and when they found out. Happened only once.

Looking back, dad only took me fishing twice so he could sit in the car and drink. Learned to fish with a younger brother and we still do it together today, in our mid 40's. Dad is still drinking with NO hobbies short of sittin' in a bar each day, all day long. I feel very sad for him and wish he would have spent some time with us learning about the outdoors. Maybe then he would have some sort of interest in our activities and something to keep him busy. The booze is killing him quick. Definitely a different story with MY kids, who have fished since 3 years old and shot since 6, same as me, but with my (obviously) blessings and tutelage.

Boyscout
09-17-2012, 04:25 PM
My grandfather cast bullets but didn't hunt. Dad hunted but never cast. I picked up reloading in 83 and started casting in 09. Went to a gun show to purchase some cast bullets. The ones there did not look well made and another booth was selling Lee casting products. I started out of necessity; now I do it for fun. Two of my sons are showing some interest. I know they like to shoot them.

milkman
10-09-2012, 06:56 AM
I kinda sorta taught myself casting balls for a muzzle loader back in the early 70's. I didn't progress to rifle boolits till the kids were grown and I had a little more cash to throw around, after the new millennium. They think it's stoopid to waste all that time casting, sizing, lubing and experimenting when you can just grab a box off of a shelf.

Griz44mag
10-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Milkman,
My kids used to be the same way. Until they got grown and had to earn their own way in this world. Now they are coming back and wanting to learn the age old art form of casting and reloading. How sweet it is!

glowe
10-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I wish my father was into casting. It would have made learning a little easier. I plan on teaching my son when he get old enough and the daughter if she wants to learn.