PDA

View Full Version : Hall Rifles

missionary5155
07-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Good morning
Finally picked up my Hall flintlock from the local military museum. While doing some cleaning and oiling decided to run a "parts interchangability test" between the two. The flinter was produced in 1826 and the percussion model in 1832. Every part tried is interchangale between the two model rifles. Breechblocks slipped in without any grunting or grief. Barrel gaps were within a few thousanths. Bolts turned easily. Mr. Hall really did a great job putting together one of the first heavy iron tooled machine shops and building parts by guages.
Now I am wondering if the 1832 percussion Hall I have is one of the 100 the military demanded be produced, stripped down to individual parts and randomly reassembled for test firing ? The test was a complete success and a new contract was signed for several thousand Hall Percussion firearms. More research to be done.
Will be taking the Flint Hall to the range soon to fire it and compare to the Hall percussion model. Have a great Sunday... we are headed to Crawfordsville for services with Freemont Street Baptist Church.
Mike in ILL.

Tatume
07-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Something that really annoys me about game laws is that (at least here in Virginia) rifles like your Halls are prohibited in the primitive weapons seasons. Yet, people can hunt with modern, scoped, bolt action muzzleloaders firing modern powder and jacketed bullets. There are several old designs I would like to own, like a Hall (if I could find one and afford it), but because I can't hunt with them, I buy other guns instead.

Thank you for keeping the old guns alive and shooting. As your research progresses, please keep us informed.

Sincerely, Tom

missionary5155
07-16-2012, 05:07 AM
Gretings Tom
The Halls can be right pricey and are definately a "have to save & sell somethings to get one". The flinter was languishing on GB for well over a year. Wrote the owner and started haggling. Little by little I kept saving and we finally came to a middle ground. Had to replace the frizzen and trigger springs, the ram rod, and front swivle. (The Rifle Shopp)
The second came by much less expensive as I waited more years for an affordable percussion model. They are out there and the computer has been a big help. Search Hall Rifles or Carbines weekly. Be aware there is some garbage being labled "good for it's age". Many barrels are in good shootable condition. Other barrels must have been rinsed out in the creek and left to drip dry with no patch being run through.
I am looking forward to loading them up. Barrels are very near .530 in the groove. I do not expect one to be more accurate than the other but will great great finding out.
Mike in ILL.