PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 sizer

richbug
05-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Is this a good starter unit? I have been using LLA for a while, with good results, but am getting tired of the mess.

Will the Lyman seat gas checks? I have stumbled onto several at what I think are pretty reasonable prices.

Same guy has about 75-100 assorted, most NIB, RCBS and Lyman molds. What would be a reasonable price to pay each on a lot purchase?

STP
05-02-2007, 09:53 AM
richbug,
The 450 lubesizer is good to go, and it will seat gas checks. Alox 50/50 lube is a good one to start with.
As for all those moulds....Yikes!! Try $5 each for the lot. The worst he could say is no, then you could go up a bit more. If you can get them all, you sure will have an enviable "project" on your hands, and one that we would all take delight in reading about.
Good Luck

BruceB
05-02-2007, 10:42 AM
richbug, pard;

QUOTE: "Is this a good starter unit?"

Ummm, .......well, lessee here.......I've been in the casting game for right at forty years now, and I just happen to have four Lyman 450s on hand with no plans to change to anything else. So, yes, I'd say it's a good "starting unit".

There's a learning process to go through, but it's pretty simple and good results come quite quickly.

In my experience, I found that trying to maintain more pressure on the lube than is needed to lubricate just one bullet is counter-productive, leading to messes and lube in places that I don't want it. Therefore, when a bullet is pushed down into the sizing die, I tweak the pressure screw JUST enough to lube that bullet, and no more.

I heartily agree with finding the machine on the used market. I see them at the Big Reno Show for less than half of the new price. Do NOT buy any sizing dies without the O-ring groove at the top. Dies without the O-ring are an older style and have a cutting shoulder inside to reduce the diameter. The newer style, WITH the O-ring, have a tapered entry and are much less likely to damage a bullet. MY latest 450 was found at a local show priced at $35...with FOURTEEN sizing dies included!!!!

Don't buy lube from the big suppliers! Our own Lar45 on this Board makes and sells "White Label Lubes" which are every bit as good as the big names (if not better) and come at a fraction of the price. Click on the Lar45 link at the bottom of this page to see what I mean.

I personally think that a new caster has only truly arrived at the "properly-equipped" stage when he acquires a proper lube-sizer for most of his production. The other methods of lubing and sizing are either stopgaps, or suited for limited special-purpose applications (again, MY opinion). Note that I said "personally"....there will doubtless be others here who will disagree with my thoughts. I'm not a benchrest competitor, nor a long-range BPCR shooter, or a host of other types of shooter. I shoot for fun, I shoot a lot, and the lube-sizer is by far the most efficient and satisfactory way of turning out bullets ready for the loading press.

mooman76
05-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Yes it is a good unit. I would try to find a good used one like I did. They usually come with some sizer dies and if you have allot of different calibers the dies will run you more then the unit. The RCBS dies also fit the Lyman so you have a little more options.
I bought a Lyman on Ebay for $100 which is about what it cost new but I got 5 dies and 5 top punches with it extra lube and it looked bran new.
On the moulds it's hard to say without seeing them and their condition but I would look up some prices of new ones to get an idea first and go from there. Ask him for a price, sometimes they give you a bulk deal just to get rid of them. And just something to think about, were these items something this guy used himself or something he just picked up and want's to unload?

carpetman
05-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I started with a 450 and the only reason I didn't finish with same was that I found a steal on a RCBS and gave the 450 to a son in law. Only reason I kept the RCBS vs the 450 was the RCBS warranty--I like the way RCBS stands behind their stuff. Like BruceB said when at the bottom of the stroke give just a mild tweak--no more else you get lube where you don't want it. The RCBS does seem to hold pressure perhaps a little better and I can usually get a few bullets between tweaking with no oozing. Other than the warranty and possibly the holding of pressure slight difference,there's not a bit of difference in the two. Well there is on a stock model. The lyman uses the ratchet to feed where newer RCBS uses a toggle. The ratchet is far better. I modified my RCBS from toggle to ratchet ---without the mod,I'd take the Lyman.

monadnock#5
05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I agree that the Lyman 450 would give you good results. One accessory you will need at some point is heater for your sizer. You can use a light bulb, clothes iron, heat gun, hair dryer or the unit Lyman makes specifically for the purpose. Here in NH, even 50/50 gets too hard to push through the die from Nov. till May.

Ken

Sundogg1911
05-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I like mine, but I like my Star sizers much better. With the Star sizers ( www.magmaengineering.com ) you don't need a specific top punch for each bullet. The Stars can size nose first so you only need a few flat punches for nose first sizing to cover all calibers. If you cast bevel base bullets you will be wiping the base of each one with the Lyman. Not with a Star. It puts the lube exactly where you want it. That said, you can't go wrong with the Lyman if you get a good price. I started with one, and I still use it on occasion. Yes you can seat checks with it (even without the gas check attachment) I still do all of my gas check bullets with my Lyman.