PDA

View Full Version : Boiling my 450 today

Scott_In_OKC
07-14-2012, 10:48 AM
I picked up a used 450 a couple of years ago, it had previously sat for several years. I figured it was time to clean it up and get ready to size/lube some boolits.

Ah the smell of boiling lube :)

fryboy
07-14-2012, 11:09 AM
tech tip short boiling time is best as the heat and boiling water can and will mess up paint , in one aspect however it can also be a good thing if you're refinishing it ;)

Scott_In_OKC
07-14-2012, 11:13 AM
I let it go for 30 minutes or so. Now to cool and skim the scum before removing.

D Crockett
07-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Scot in okc the old lube that comes out of the luber makes good flux that what I do with mine when I change lubes in my luber D Crockett

Murphy
07-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Hello Scott,

A fellow Okie here. I was in OKC Mother's Day weekend to visit my mother. I'd found a guy on Craigslist selling out a ton of old reloading gear his father had left (passed away 10 years ago).

I found a gold mine when I got there. Got lucky and picked up a Star Reloading Machine AND a Star Lube/Sizer. The lube/sizer was one of the San Deigo early ones. It was filled with a dead soft lube and just needs a good cleaning. The Star Label had long ago fallen off, but the machine is as tight as new. I need to break down and do the same thing you're doing. Not sure how warm it is suppose to get down here in Idabel today, but then again once it's past 95 degree's...it's dang hot.

I'll now have a pair of Star lube/sizers. I figure one for my favorite handgun lube and one for rifle lube.

Let us know how things turn out on the clean up.

Murphy

Scott_In_OKC
07-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Wow, nice score! I went to a yard sale yesterday advertising a "Complete reloading setup". What that ACTUALLY meant was two sets of dies!

Jens
07-14-2012, 11:37 AM
I just got a old saeco sizer. never thought about boiling it to clean it.good tip thanks

Scott_In_OKC
07-14-2012, 12:18 PM
I can't take credit for the boiling idea, I learned it here!

chboats
07-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I stripped mine down and put it in the oven on an old cookie sheet at 150-170 degrees for an hour. Lot less messy.

Carl

Cherokee
07-17-2012, 07:41 PM
chboata - you must be single, just saying...

bandit7.5
07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
if my wife caught me doing that chboats my head would be on the cookie sheet with it

geargnasher
07-17-2012, 11:46 PM
A tablespoon of Dawn in the boiling water really helps pull the lube out and keep it from re-depositing all over the metal. I did a couple at different times on the side burner of my propane grill in an old steel bucket. Just a simmer for about 15 minutes, it didn't hurt the paint.

Gear

chboats
07-18-2012, 09:29 AM
I have a couple of old cookie sheets that I use out the the garage. The wife doesn't care, so I'm good to go. I tried making lube on the kitchen stove, will never do that again, what a mess. She did draw the line at moving the car out of the garage to make room for more loading equipment.

Carl