PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for Glocks

1wise1
07-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Anybody reloading for a Glock 19? Couple of questions.
As you are about to see, I am new at this.
I know Glock Inc. is not crazy about lead boolits but I also know about Glock's reputation as eating almost anything you feed them. If you're casting and reloading for a 19 what combo(s) have you found that work well? Do you indeed have to worry about leading in the barrel. One guy on another forum says just install an aftermarket barrel and don't worry.
What about a softer recoil spring? All suggestions are appreciated.
I also have a 26 but that's a different little animal for another day.

475/480
07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't have a G19. I have a G20SF (10MM).
I shoot all kinds of cast loads thru it . Lee 175gr TCPB , Accurate molds 190gr LFNGC and MM 215 gr WFNGC -----ALL run good at 1.245" COL.Velocities run 1000-1350 fps. I use boolits in the BHN 21-24 range- waterdropped/ WW. I do clean the gun after every shooting session, very little leading. I have also used a LWD after market barrel that works very well also.

Sean

ku4hx
07-13-2012, 05:26 PM
I've reloaded for Glocks since 1991 and I started with cast boolits in them. I didn't realize I couldn't do that until I got the internet some 8-10 years ago. Prior to understand my mistake, I'd loaded and fired tens of thousands of cast boolits in all my Glocks, so I just kept it up.

I do own aftermarket barrels, Lone Wolf, but I bought them because I wanted to not because I felt I had too. In other words, one is a 357 Sig for my models 27 and 23. Two I bought because the 1991 and 1993 barrels (models 20 and 23 respectively) were the original designs with generous amounts of "unsupported" chamber areas. Truth is, I rarely use my LW barrels and in fact sold a 40-9 conversion for my model 27 when I bought a model 26.

I load cast boolit rounds for Glock models 17, 19 (1 Gen3; 1 Gen4), 20, 22, 23, 26, 27, and 30SF. I've never had a problem, accuracy is very good, leading is basically non existent and I have no plans to stop unless the alloy components simply dry up or I die of old age ... whichever comes first.

All my guns are standard factory configuration and I load with that in mind. Many years ago I got rid of my race guns and now I stay strictly stock. Those who want to try different springs and such are welcomed to do so. I did, I just passed out of that phase shortly before the end of the last century in an effort to simplify my life heading into retirement.

Elkins45
07-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I understand there are issues with Glocks and lead bullets, but careful load selection minimizes the risk. Shoot a handful and carefully examine the barrel for leading. If you see any traces of it at all then it's time to clean the bore and try something else.

As a general rule I have found that the 9mm factory polygonal rifling prefers a harder bullet and it likes a bullet design that carries a lot of loob. Unfortunatly, I have had very little luck with tumble lube designs. Even when they dont lead it's a challenge to get them to shoot accurately. My other Glock is a older 10mm G20 with the relatively unsupported barrel, so I only shoot mild cast reloads in it. For full power in the G20 I only shoot factory Silvertips....so I don't shoot much full power.

I'm thinking of investing in an aftermarket barrel for it just so I can shoot cast to their full potential.