PDA

View Full Version : We need to STOP using Google!

freedom475
07-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Not sure how many of you actually use the "Anti-2nd Amendment search engine"...but now they have banned even shooting accessories from there shopping search....so if we all join together I know we can make a difference ;)
Here is just one of the links... http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/google-bans-guns-in-shopping-good-news-for-stocking-gun-dealers/

Freightman
07-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Not saying you are wrong about anti 2nd but I just typed in shooting accessories and got over 13 pages of hits. I was using Google to. Are you sure it is Google or your ISP?

Chicken Thief
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
www.gunsamerica.com never shows here in Denmark. I just get a browser time out.
Maybe you could work on that and get some more followers?

ShooterAZ
07-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I just did a Google search and got 74,200,000 results for shooting accessories. No problem here.

FLINTNFIRE
07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Google lets me find any shooting sites and accessories , no problems with them , will look for info on 2nd stance,, further research shows it is google shopping and their idea of family ratings , another senseless idea , so will watch and see how it progresses and any company statement

41 mag fan
07-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Just went to google...and typed in Wichester Model 64 7mm for sale, and hit the shopping button. brought items up for sale for me, and the listers

waksupi
07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

freedom475
07-13-2012, 04:09 PM
For the time being it aplies only to there "shopping" links....but to use an openly ANTI-2nd company just makes no sense since we have so many options.. here is a good one that doesn't even track your info. https://startpage.com/eng/

My family relies on you guys guys being able to find me on the net, so if Google ever extends this to the rest of their search, me and many other Americans are out of business!...They say they are Pro-family...guess just not mine.

L1A1Rocker
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
For the time being it aplies only to there "shopping" links....but to use an openly ANTI-2nd company just makes no sense since we have so many options.. here is a good one that doesn't even track your info. https://startpage.com/eng/

My family relies on you guys guys being able to find me on the net, so if Google ever extends this to the rest of their search, me and many other Americans are out of business!...They say they are Pro-family...guess just not mine.

Thanks for the link to startpage, I had never heard of them before.

waksupi
07-13-2012, 08:38 PM
The reason I have stayed with Google so long, they seemed to have the largest amount of hits for firearms related subjects.

Look at Startpage closely, you will see it is still Google.

williamwaco
07-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Guys,

Wake up and smell the bacon.

Google does over four billion searches per day. That is 4,000,000,000.

There are only 22,000 of us.

If every shooter in the country boycotted Google, it would not even be noticeable in their daily stats.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

HangFireW8
07-13-2012, 10:33 PM
?????

There's more than 22k NRA members.

I use Google to site-specific search Cast Boolits all the time. Works great.

btroj
07-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I am not worried, I have lots of extra foil for my hat

ButterNutZ
07-14-2012, 12:59 AM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Type in any firearm in "google shopping", see what happens. For example type in ruger gp100, you will get all the gun related stuff you want ,but no guns. You used to be able find all kinds of new guns online using google.
They actually changed it because of to much flack, a week ago or so you couldn't find any gun related items.
Google suck balls my friend. They are not your friend, unless you are a Chicago numnut.

ButterNutZ
07-14-2012, 01:02 AM
I am not worried, I have lots of extra foil for my hat

Very funny,

Google lets me find any shooting sites and accessories , no problems with them , will look for info on 2nd stance,, further research shows it is google shopping and their idea of family ratings , another senseless idea , so will watch and see how it progresses and any company statement

did you guys even read the article?

waksupi
07-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Type in any firearm in "google shopping", see what happens. For example type in ruger gp100, you will get all the gun related stuff you want ,but no guns. You used to be able find all kinds of new guns online using google.
They actually changed it because of to much flack, a week ago or so you couldn't find any gun related items.
Google suck balls my friend. They are not your friend, unless you are a Chicago numnut.

Yeah, I live deep in chicago, and love it here. I can't think of a new firearm in the last fifty years I would have bothered to look up.

Every body has to find something to get puffed up about. There are more important things out there.

GP100man
07-14-2012, 01:13 AM
It`s a filtering thing ,I tried to Google gun forums while on vaction from the motel & it would`nt let me find anything firearms related ????

Wish I knew more `bout PCs than I do !!

pmer
07-14-2012, 01:23 AM
I got on the google and tried searching left wing stuff, right wing. Pro gun, anti gun. Found images of guns. All the searching didn't allways yield shopping on the right but there were no guns.

Then I ended up at the Brady anti gun website - I think they should change their slogan to "Brady Campaign to prevent common sense".

Gibson
07-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Not sure how many of you actually use the "Anti-2nd Amendment search engine"...but now they have banned even shooting accessories from there shopping search....so if we all join together I know we can make a difference ;)
Here is just one of the links... http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/google-bans-guns-in-shopping-good-news-for-stocking-gun-dealers/

Yes. I have no idea about shooting accessories but I often used google's shopping search to compare prices on specidic new guns at various shops. VERY often.

forbes.com op/ed for what it is worth:

"Specifically, they’ve banned results related to firearms and other products that they don’t deem to be “family safe.” Until recently, gun-related products appeared with other products in search results on the shopping section. Many of America’s 80 million gun owners have used Google as a powerful price-comparison tool. Not anymore.

Google’s new, anti-gun policy, assigns a “family status” to all products. Products that are “non-family safe” are blocked from Google Shopping. This includes guns, ammunition and knives, as well as vehicles, tobacco and radar scramblers."

With the praise being heaped by the dimwits,

"We applaud Google for acting to restrict sales of dangerous weapons that would frequently occur without background checks,” said Daniel Vice, senior attorney at the Brady Center."

one certainly wonders. Granted, the quote seems to be devoid of understanding vis-s-vis what "google" actually did, it nevertheless gives me pause.

I appreciate you posting. It is worthy of note.

Of course "bing.com/shopping" works pretty well. . .

ku4hx
07-14-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm basically anti-Google for a variety of reasons, but if you're looking for a good alternative try DickDuckGo. No tracking and no records are kept.

If you use Firefox, you might want to check out Add-on TrackMeNot. Basically it confuses the tracking ability of Google, Bing, Yahoo and AOL.

ku4hx
07-14-2012, 08:08 AM
I got on the google and tried searching left wing stuff, right wing. Pro gun, anti gun. Found images of guns. All the searching didn't allways yield shopping on the right but there were no guns.

Then I ended up at the Brady anti gun website - I think they should change their slogan to "Brady Campaign to prevent common sense".

I searched on buy guns and got this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=buy+guns&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

336,000,000 results. There is no data off to the right, but I never use that anyway. If I want to know something I go to a site, not read some sort of summary posting.

ButterNutZ
07-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I live deep in chicago, and love it here. I can't think of a new firearm in the last fifty years I would have bothered to look up.

Every body has to find something to get puffed up about. There are more important things out there.

Well sir, not every one is as well knowledgeable and well read as you are! Some of us peasants still need to look up guns that we dont know and google shopping was the number one sight I used to compare new gun prices and such.
Puffed up? Think about this, google is the number one used search engine web site, they CAN pick and choose what shows up when you search for specific items. I dont think you realize just how powerful this tool is in shaping what person thinks on the subject of their search!

montana_charlie
07-14-2012, 12:01 PM
For the time being it aplies only to there "shopping" links....but to use an openly ANTI-2nd company just makes no sense since we have so many options.
I have a big old John Deere tractor that gets my work done very reliably.
If you told me that John Deere is a pro-Muslim, anti-gun, or un-American company, I probably would not get rid of my tractor.
I have been using Google's search engine for years, and it does my 'search work' very reliably.
Now you want me to quit using it.

Google offers a range of services. Those include Google Maps, Gmail, and Google Shopping ... among others.
I use Gmail, but I don't use Google Shopping or Google Maps.

Google Shopping is the service that has a restriction on firearms, not the main search engine. So, if you look at Google Shopping like a big virtual department store, you will find it is something like JC Penny's ... which no longer sells guns.

I see it as a business decision ... you see it as a political decision.

Oh, well ...

btroj
07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Until one of YOU come sup with a better, and "gun friendly" search engine what do you propose we use?

I use Google for searches because it works. I don't intend to stop using technology because one company decided to stop selling guns in a marketplaces never use anyway.

I buy guns locally, I support my local gun stores. They don't seem to bothered in the least by wha Google will, or won't, sell.

MtGun44
07-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Google is a far left, politically active company, founded by a Russian and an American
lefty. I never use ANY of thier services or sites, under any circumstances.

Use "Bing.com" for searches, works great and they have a beautiful and interesting new
picture every day, links to more info about it and other nice stuff.

Bill

HangFireW8
07-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Twice convicted monopolist Microsoft? I'll pass.

btroj
07-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Gee, if we look hard enou we may be able to count out every search engine.
Heck, the Internet was invented by Al Gore, maybe we should do all this via snail mail.

I will continue to use wha to use. I don't go searching for reasons to dislike a business.

montana_charlie
07-14-2012, 04:11 PM
I don't go searching for reasons to dislike a business.Neither do I.
And ... I have, on too many occasioned, gone off half-cocked - repeating some scandalous 'information bit' (much like the O/P) and learned after I had made a fool of myself that I had been, in fact, fooled by a fool.

CM

waksupi
07-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Is there a replacement for GoogleEarth?

MtGun44
07-14-2012, 11:27 PM
"twice convicted monopolist" LOL!! :bigsmyl2:

Yeah, "convicted" by those Euroweenies of giving me a free browser and free image
maniplation and other features built into Windows so I wouldn't have to buy it from
some other company. Europeans protecting their software houses from being
obsoleted. Kinda like convicting Ford for offering free shock absorbers with your
car, keeps Monroe from selling you a set so you can drive your car. . . . . . .

MS used to have Terraserver which was 'kinda' like GEarth, but not really.

I stand corrected, I DO use GEarth, need it in some situations, no equivalent for foreign
lands.

Bill

HangFireW8
07-15-2012, 08:59 AM
"twice convicted monopolist" LOL!! :bigsmyl2:

Yeah, "convicted" by those Euroweenies of giving me a free browser and free image

First convicted in the US. They just avoided all punishment due to a regime change. The appeal did NOT change the findings of fact- monopolist and monopoly abuser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

I used to have a job tracking parts of the IT market. For years I watched (and reported on) MS repeatedly counter shipping products with white papers, technology directions and pure vapourware, most of which never shipped. There is no slimier company.

randyrat
07-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Wrong way to think about it............Doing many, many searches for guns speaks louder than to run away from it. More searches for gun related items more the system will realize how much interest there is in them quicker than not.

boolit_boy
07-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Until a better alternative comes along, Google is still the best search engine.

MtGun44
07-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Not a big fan of MS, but frankly, do not buy any of the monopoly baloney. Whiners
who can't compete hide behind the monopoly laws. Even Standard Oil in the "bad"
old days was mostly guilty of lowering the cost of oil and gasoline massively when
they were convicted of monopoly practices. The public was the beneficiary, and the
inefficient companies being run out of business were the "vicitms". Not much impressed
by many of the monopoly arguments, although I do know that there are some cases
where prices increase due to monopolies, and not in favor of that situation.

Google is actively spending billions to support leftist/communists/antigun/central control,
I will do as much as possible to avoid giving them any of my money, including using
Bing search engine, which seems to work fine and has very nice pictures every day.

Please do what you think is best.

Bill

DrCaveman
07-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah google sucks and at the same time is the most useful tool on the web.

Kinda like a stubborn mould that you need to ream & polish & leement & beagle for it to drop the boolit you are so desperate for. Needs some TLC, and finesse in order to deliver what you are looking for. Refine your search terms and parameters.

I don't think any of this is political. They want your money whether left, right, or center. Greed runs the Internet like it does all big business. Morals and self-righteousness only affect the consumer who gets milked either way.

MANGYCOYOTE
07-15-2012, 10:18 AM
also, www.ixquick.com is a decent search engine that doesn't track your searches.

MtGun44
07-15-2012, 02:28 PM
HA! If you don't think Google is political, you haven't been paying much attention
to what they do, say and where they send their bux.

Bill

Harter66
07-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Monoply..........whatever if it ain't IBM compatable it won't run on the web anyway.......

Dogpile seems useful for me. It scoops up searches from all of the "big 3".

BAGTIC
07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
I just googled "gun forums" on google. 57,500,000 hits. What is the problem?

Are you sure you are using Google and that you search engine has not been hijacked by some other service?

Even if they did not search for firearms related sites that does not mean the are ANTI 2nd AMENDMENT. There are lots of other reasons people make business decisions.
My doctor has a 'no firearms' sign on his window. Does not bother me. My dentist is rabidly pro gun but that is not why I go there. How many have left their church because the preacher was anti gun? My plumber, an butcher, and barber do not sell guns but I do not boycott them. I patronize a business because of the service they provide not what they don't provide. We are all entitled to our ohttp://www.forgottenweapons.com/trw-low-maintenance-rifle/inions. Now if someone is an active vociferous opponent of gun rights I would probably lookk for an alternative whenever possible but if my toilet backs up I don't care what kind of **** the plumber espouses as long as he gets rid of mine.

Mud Eagle
07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I know that when I want to buy a firearm, Google is the first place that comes to mind to look.

Or not.

1Shirt
07-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Reality is reality, what ever that means, and is about what a person believes most of the time!
1Shirt!