PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Scratch?

MikeS
07-13-2012, 04:37 AM
Hi All.

Now I think I've seen it all. While surfing around the web I fell upon a website that sells something I can't believe folks actually buy! It's called the Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool. It's basically a small piece of either poster board, or mylar (depending on which version you buy) that protects the finish on the frame of semi-autos around the slide stop, so that when reassembling your gun you don't scratch it's frame. Their website is:

http://www.idiotscratch.com/index.shtml

Do people actually spend money to buy something like this? Or is this just another way to separate a fool from his/her money? If I was that concerned about protecting the frame of my gun, I would just makeup something like this myself, I can't imagine actually spending money to buy one or more of these.

So what do you think? Is this a serious product? Would you buy it? Am I the idiot for thinking this product is stupid?

Sasquatch-1
07-13-2012, 06:46 AM
The name says it all.

Down South
07-13-2012, 07:17 AM
The name says it all.
LOL, some idiots will buy anything.

btroj
07-13-2012, 07:22 AM
I must be an idiot because my frame is scratched from just that!
I view it as a bitof a badge of honor, it mean I actually shoot and clean my handgun! No mall ninja here, I don't just have into show of to my buddies. Yep, I actually shoot the thing.

PbHurler
07-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Hehehe,
"Carry it on your keychain & let the world know..." Oh, nevermind

Light attack
07-13-2012, 07:37 AM
The guy will probably end up a millionaire!!

Bret4207
07-13-2012, 07:48 AM
What is the old saying- A fool and his money are soon parted? I see stuff in the stores all the time that just make me shake my head. But that's the beauty of the capitalist system in this nation- you have the freedom to market something absolutely inane (think "Pet Rocks"!!!!) and stand a chance to make a zillion bucks off people who think they need one. I inherited most of my FILs tools. I've got every "AS SEEN ON TV!!!" tool they ever made now. Most of them don't even work, but they sold and fed someones family.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Back a decade or two, I did some IPSC shooting.
A few shooters had "race" guns with a few thousand dollars invested in them.
having about every aftermarket goodie available, including fancy finishes.
I suspect they'd be a good customer for this.

I can't speak for anyone else, but there is nothing like cold blue steel :)
Jon

PbHurler
07-13-2012, 07:56 AM
The guy will probably end up a millionaire!!

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Elkins45
07-13-2012, 08:18 AM
$8.99 for one made out of posterboard!

Anybody who can't make one of these themselves out of an old playing card or plastic soda bottle isn't someone who should be disassembling (or owning for that matter) a firearm!

guidogoose
07-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Some people will buy anything. This is, after all, the same country that bought tag protectors for Beanie Babies......

Mud Eagle
07-13-2012, 08:43 AM
More importantly, who gets their panties all ruffled over a scratch on the gun? It's a TOOL...it's the same as guys with pickup trucks where the bed is all waxed and perfect looking.

Tango2020
07-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Hey....I just bought 2 of those yesterday. :not listening: Just kidding. :-P

Sasquatch-1
07-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Being as how I do not own afirearm of this type, I was wondering if the Formica samples that you can get at Lowe's and Home Depot for free are too thick?

dragonrider
07-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Saw the video on how to use this "absolutely must have" tool, and it's useless on my race gun. Naturaly I have a custom mag release button, as I would assume "everyone" would have. What ever will I do???? How will I install my slide stop............oh woe is me, what will my freinds think????
Yup like Bret said, just another pet rock..

popper
07-13-2012, 10:19 AM
And 'mood' rings, chia pets, and the list goes on. The best ones are the carburetor pin wheel and bicycle pulse jet motor. Remember those .035 pin-fire pistols? Shot phono needles great.

blikseme300
07-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Don't knock pet rocks. Here are some advantages:

They are easy to take care of
It doesn't cost anything to feed them
They don't poop or pee
They don't smell
They need minimal attention
You can put them in a closet for months and they won't mind
They won't wake you up while you are sleeping
They are cheap
Even in a "no pets" apartment building, the pet rock is the only pet you can have
You don't have to take them to the vet

captaint
07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
I saw, on another webiste, a very minor modification we can make to avoid the idiot scratch. Just take a very small rat tail file and make a small groove in the slide stop - to ride on the detent ball, on the way in. Works great, and not even noticable. If you didn't point it out to somebody, they'd never see it. enjoy Mike

gray wolf
07-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Learn how to put the slide stop in and spend the money on primers.

paul h
07-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Lot's of idiots in the world, hence a big market for products geared towards them.

btroj
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I would rather shoot against a guy with a pristine condition handgun with no scratches or wear than a guy with a gun with lots of honest wear.
Which one shoots more? Hmmmmmm

Abused guns, no. Those that show signs of use, yes.

This is a solution looking for a problem.

My 1911 has such scratches. I haven't lost a second of sleep yet. Never will either.

mpmarty
07-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Now there is an idea with merit. How 'bout one for my Kalishnikov safety?

runfiverun
07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
so an assembly scratch is now added to the lst of scratches.
how does it affect value?
i know a scratch on the stock from hunting knocks the price down at least 100.00 while a scratch from the safe almost has no affect on selling price.
i have never heard what the value of a scratch is while sneaking it in the house,or from putting in/removing it from the truck.

bob208
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
after seeing the add i had to dig out my 1911's and check them out some had a scrach most did not.

Moonie
07-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Mine do not have this scratch anymore, had the frame of my full size Cerakoted, got it back yesterday. It is beautiful, was having issues with the finish due to concealed carry. The new officers model is too new to have this scratch, but I'm sure it will before too long. If they aren't worn you aren't using them enough!

L1A1Rocker
07-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Learn how to put the slide stop in and spend the money on primers.

THIS!

If you put such a scratch on the side of a 1911, you are doing it wrong. I've got a couple of 1911's with lots of wear on them - none have this scratch.

btroj
07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
I must be a moron. Oh well, the pistol and I don't care.

geargnasher
07-13-2012, 07:44 PM
THIS!

If you put such a scratch on the side of a 1911, you are doing it wrong. I've got a couple of 1911's with lots of wear on them - none have this scratch.

Yup. Seen it on other people's 1911s, some were BAD, but none on mine. All of my 1911s have the front frame checkering, and on the left edge in the middle they're all inlayed with gold alloy from my honker of a wedding ring. I wonder what that does to the value? :smile:

Gear

41mag
07-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Hey if they make a hundred bucks, they covered the advertising, if they make more well they did what they set out to do. Like others have mentioned somewhere there is someone who "needs" this.

I only have a couple of 1911 or similar type pistols, but none have this scratch. The one 1991A1 has some wear along the slide but we use it for up close hog/dog hunting, and it has seen some grimy days back in the muck. Still looks and shoots great though and no "scratches".

As for dings and dents in stocks and such, most of mine have come from hard hunting and not safe or other abuse. I simply consider them character added to the history of the firearm. I don't plan on selling them and my grandsons don't plan on me doing so either.

George369
07-14-2012, 08:53 AM
If you learn how to put the slide stop in properly you won't get the idiot scratch.

a.squibload
07-14-2012, 04:03 PM
My 5-screw Super Blackhawk has a scratch from the boss
around the cylinder pin hole (front of cylinder).
If you don't look it's easy to hit the frame with it.
If only they sold these for revolvers 40 years ago
I wouldn't suffer the shame and humiliation...

dsol
07-14-2012, 04:21 PM
I must be an idiot because my frame is scratched from just that!
I view it as a bitof a badge of honor, it mean I actually shoot and clean my handgun! No mall ninja here, I don't just have into show of to my buddies. Yep, I actually shoot the thing.

Same here. I used to practice disassembly and reassembly blindfolded for time as well and you can almost not help getting the scratch that way. Never bothered me. While I dont take my pistols and throw them in the gravel and kick them around, I use them and don't worry about a little wear and tear. I I dont shoot them, they get traded off for ones that I will.

The ones I shoot and carry the most, I try to be able to field strip and reassemble in the dark. Will I ever need to do so? Probably not.... but you never know.

bigboredad
07-14-2012, 05:02 PM
dude they sell bottled water and you ask a silly question like that come on man[smilie=s: